James Maddison (1 Viewer)

KersleyDigs

.......looks like he could be some player!!

I have seen some of the training clips and he looks very cultured. Great first touch, awareness and finishing.

Jim O'Brien said he thought Maddison was the squad's "Most talented player" and coming from an ex-Celtic and Scotland international certainly gives this credibility.

Anyone else particularly excited about his development?

Gint11

Bring him in, score 20 then off he goes..Whoo hoo

CovisGod

Can't avoid that matey, that would still be happening if we were in the Prem. Look at Southampton. It's impossible to hang on to players with the lure of higher wages and big transfer fees. Just one of them things.

Malaka

Can't avoid that matey, that would still be happening if we were in the Prem. Look at Southampton. It's impossible to hang on to players with the lure of higher wages and big transfer fees. Just one of them things.

So true, never have been a big club and we always have sold our best players, Gould, Babb, Keane, Dublin, Gibson, Thomas, Gillespie, Gallacher, Wallace, Hateley, Thompson. We have never had the fans through the gates to pay the wages and never looked like achieving anything.
God ! I have just depressed myself.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

I dont think any comparison to Southampton is appropriate. Unless it's in the context of their lucky side-step from the charlatans who bought our club. The respective fortunes since are simply astonishing

paulw

Totally correct. Football is a business so it doesn't matter if you are Man United or Boston Utd if people want your players and they offer money then they will be sold. Same as for the players. They are involved in a profession so they want to do the best they can in that profession. How people can think players should be loyal to an employer is beyond me. If any of CCFC players said 'right, that's it I play for CCFC and this is the pinacle of my life I don't want to move up the leagues or get more money' I would be saddened by their lack of ambition.

What we as supporters have to remember is WE ARE CCFC DIEHARDS AND WOULD MOVE MOUNTAINS FOR OUR CLUB but as we see day after day, week after week owners, managers or players don't share that philosophy. And in all honesty I can't blame them.

rupert_bear

I am afraid it looks like Southampton have their own version of sisu running their club. £76million in transfer funds received recently I believe with more to come and what have they spent ?? Nothing yet. Where have we seen that before ?

FRY-CCFC

He's too small. He failed to have an impact against Nuneaton and Newport. Needs to bulk up a bit but no denying he has unreal talent

Gint11

The Exodus at Southampton just shows that. Any club now in league 2, 1 or Championship, how is it even possible now to get into the Premier league and ever get better. Staying up seems possible but Southampton now should have kept their players, bought 2 or 3 in and be challenging for places for Europa but no, everyones wanted away. Clubs like us might have a great season and get promoted (one day) but how can we ever win things. The minute we get a decent player he's off. Frustrating.

chiefdave

The Exodus at Southampton just shows that. Any club now in league 2, 1 or Championship, how is it even possible now to get into the Premier league and ever get better. Staying up seems possible but Southampton now should have kept their players, bought 2 or 3 in and be challenging for places for Europa but no, everyones wanted away. Clubs like us might have a great season and get promoted (one day) but how can we ever win things. The minute we get a decent player he's off. Frustrating.

Its getting worse and worse. Of course we always had the odd player going off to play for a top team when we were in the prem which was annoying but now its out of control. You've basically got the top handful of teams and then everyone else. It does make me wonder what success if for a club like ours. What fun would it be getting to the holy land of the premier league just to make up the numbers and hope that when you play one of the top teams you don't get annihilated?

The only solution I can see is a radical shake up of the game which I doubt the authorities have any motivation to do. You need something like a salary cap (and salary floor to prevent something like the Blackpool situation) and fixed squad sizes. If all the prem teams had to commit to the same level of spending and the same number of players then you have more chance of someone else becoming competitive and you stop the top clubs hoarding players.

shmmeee

I do wish people would stop comparing us in the past selling players after 3 or 4 good seasons with us, and us now where we have sold our top scorer in almost all of the last 6 transfer windows. Where kids are sold after one good season and where our best players consistently leave for nothing because we couldn't be arsed to try and keep them.

It's nothing alike and frankly it's patronising to come out with this crap.

We are selling quicker than most other clubs and we are selling quicker than we do historically.

Every single one of those players that people list in the "we've always done this" posts stayed for more than one season.

fernandopartridge

I am afraid it looks like Southampton have their own version of sisu running their club. £76million in transfer funds received recently I believe with more to come and what have they spent ?? Nothing yet. Where have we seen that before ?
They spent a fortune last season.

Astute

He's too small. He failed to have an impact against Nuneaton and Newport. Needs to bulk up a bit but no denying he has unreal talent

So I was wrong when I said the same last week but you are right when you say it today?

Don't worry. Moussa scored goals for us without getting any from headers as not all players score these sort of goals ;)

FRY-CCFC

So I was wrong when I said the same last week but you are right when you say it today?

Don't worry. Moussa scored goals for us without getting any from headers as not all players score these sort of goals ;)

I mean as in his build not his height. He's a scrawny bastard.

torchomatic

No, you've missed a step out there.

1. Bring him in.
2. Fans say "what the hell are we relying on this bloody kid for?", etc etc
3. He is brilliant
4. We sell him
5. Everyone moans but conveniently forgets number 2.

Bring him in, score 20 then off he goes..Whoo hoo

Astute

I mean as in his build not his height. He's a scrawny bastard.

And not very tall at the same time. So not big enough to deal with big defenders like I said. But good enough to go past them as long as the ball stays on the ground like I also said until the tackles come in where he bounces off the defenders.

Or are you saying I meant something else when I said we looked good until the final 1/3rd? Or did well until the ball is in the air. And as you know fully agreed with by SW.

Astute

1. Bring him in.
3. He is brilliant
4. We sell him

He is good at what he does. But it could be the same as Wilson. He came back last season bigger and fitter. He was able to hold off challenges. He was then able to go past players much more easily. I just think it will be a season or so too early for him. Definitely a player for the future though.

skybluepm2

I do wish people would stop comparing us in the past selling players after 3 or 4 good seasons with us, and us now where we have sold our top scorer in almost all of the last 6 transfer windows. Where kids are sold after one good season and where our best players consistently leave for nothing because we couldn't be arsed to try and keep them.

It's nothing alike and frankly it's patronising to come out with this crap.

We are selling quicker than most other clubs and we are selling quicker than we do historically.

Every single one of those players that people list in the "we've always done this" posts stayed for more than one season.

Spot on

skybluefred

1. Bring him in.
3. He is brilliant
4. We sell him

He should have done his number 2 before going on the pitch.

mark82

Its getting worse and worse. Of course we always had the odd player going off to play for a top team when we were in the prem which was annoying but now its out of control. You've basically got the top handful of teams and then everyone else. It does make me wonder what success if for a club like ours. What fun would it be getting to the holy land of the premier league just to make up the numbers and hope that when you play one of the top teams you don't get annihilated?

The only solution I can see is a radical shake up of the game which I doubt the authorities have any motivation to do. You need something like a salary cap (and salary floor to prevent something like the Blackpool situation) and fixed squad sizes. If all the prem teams had to commit to the same level of spending and the same number of players then you have more chance of someone else becoming competitive and you stop the top clubs hoarding players.

This is where the American sports draft system is good (NFL particularly). Ok, no promotion and relegation, but if you have a bad season then you get first pick of that years best college players. Keeps things very even and most teams have their day within a span of 20 or 30 years (not necessarily winning but competing for championships.

PVA

Went to the Watford game tonight. Saw this kid warming up at half time and thought 'who the hell is that, he actually looks about 12 years old!'

Turns out it was Maddison and then he came on and he was excellent.

Great touch, linked play nicely and showed excellent composure. Looked a real talent.

mark82

Went to the Watford game tonight. Saw this kid warming up at half time and thought 'who the hell is that, he actually looks about 12 years old!'

Turns out it was Maddison and then he came on and he was excellent.

Great touch, linked play nicely and showed excellent composure. Looked a real talent.

Think he has a shot at first team this year?

shy_tall_knight

He's the same school year as my son who remembers playing sunday league against him but I can't remember him. Hopefully will get the opportunity this season

Astute

Like I said previously I think it is a year too early for him. He looks like he needs another year to finish growing and bulk up a little. Certainly is a fine prospect but could be just like Wilson. He came back last season bigger and stronger. And we all know what happened next.

I do see him as decent cover though. Late sub to add pace and for injuries. Gain some experience and take it from there.

Hobo

Like I said previously I think it is a year too early for him. He looks like he needs another year to finish growing and bulk up a little. Certainly is a fine prospect but could be just like Wilson. He came back last season bigger and stronger. And we all know what happened next.

I do see him as decent cover though. Late sub to add pace and for injuries. Gain some experience and take it from there.

That would be my assessment too.

PVA

Well if we don't sign anymore strikers then he's definitely going to be an important squad player.

He does need to bulk up a bit because I can imagine him getting kicked and bullied by experienced centre halves, but the talent is there definitely.

Users who are viewing this thread