James Collins (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

12 now for the season.
If that transfer embargo was lifted sooner it would have been James Collins and DMC strike force.
Maybe he will come to us in the championship next season if we keep this up.

Sick Boy

12 now for the season.
If that transfer embargo was lifted sooner it would have been James Collins and DMC strike force.

Face it, your old mate Thorny will never manage in football again.

Grendel

12 now for the season.

FFS just give up.

Nick

Administrator
Any proof he didnt come because of the embargo and not that he got a good offer at swindon? We came out of the embargo 2 or 3 days later. If he really wanted to play here he could have waited?

Grendel

Any proof he didnt come because of the embargo and not that he got a good offer at swindon? We came out of the embargo 2 or 3 days later. If he really wanted to play here he could have waited?

Also he has struggled to hold a first team place and would never fit into our system of play.

dongonzalos

FFS just give up.

Try hair of the dog G man it may help.

Anyway back to the OP topic.

James Collins came here looked round and wanted to sign. Shame the embargo was on and SISU hadn't have sorted it.

Would Hansen nice to have a 12 goal striker as a permanent
Player at the club.

Although am I right it would have ended up costing us 350k after the tribunal?

Nick

Administrator
Try hair of the dog G man it may help.

Anyway back to the OP topic.

James Collins came here looked round and wanted to sign. Shame the embargo was on and SISU hadn't have sorted it.

Would Hansen nice to have a 12 goal striker as a permanent
Player at the club.

Although am I right it would have ended up costing us 350k after the tribunal?

Again, if he really wanted to he would have waited a couple of days for when we came out?

Grendel

Again, if he really wanted to he would have waited a couple of days for when we came out?

Perhaps it's tale of 2 managers.

Always found it odd mcgoldrick joined the day thorn left.

dongonzalos

I think we had been saying the embargo was going to be lifted any day now for weeks.

I would guess if he genuinely knew it would be a few days it would have been a different matter.

Either way if when he came to the Ricoh and wanted to sign we would have has him. The delay gave others the opportunity to jump in.

Or

You can't bland him for securing his future rather than hanging round hoping SISU would give us a budget when there was no guarantee they would .

Gaz

I don't agree.
There comes a point when you have waited long enough, and his offer to move to Swindon wouldn't have been there all summer for him.

dongonzalos

How do we know how long he waited?

Common sense would say he waited from when he was shown round the Ricoh to when he signed for someone else.

I assume the fact he is a cov lad, he came and spoke to the manager and took a tour of the Ricoh. The fact that we are probably the biggest club in the division. That you do think it is highly likely that he did actually want to sign for us.

Nick

Administrator
Common sense would say he waited from when he was shown round the Ricoh to when he signed for someone else.

I assume the fact he is a cov lad, he came and spoke to the manager and took a tour of the Ricoh. The fact that we are probably the biggest club in the division. That you do think it is highly likely that he did actually want to sign for us.

How long is that?

dongonzalos

How long is that?

How long were the club telling us we days away from coming out of the embargo, only for it to turn into weeks and months

Or how long was it from when Collins got shown round to him signing for someone else?

Nick

Administrator
How long were the club telling us we days away from coming out of the embargo, only for it to turn into weeks and months

Or how long was it from when Collins got shown round to him signing for someone else?

How long was it between him being linked, shown around, us coming off the embargo and him signing for swindon?

dongonzalos

How long was it between him being linked, shown around, us coming off the embargo and him signing for swindon?

He signed for Swindon whilst we were still in the embargo. Will try and find out the other stuff for you.

However my point is, even if it is a day after he was shown round.

He came to us when we were in the embargo.
If we were not in the embargo we would have signed him.

You can't blame him for not wanting to sit there hoping we will come out of it any day. As we had been saying that for a while.

dongonzalos

Maybe We can take it from the horses mouth instead

James Collins has revealed he was close to joining Coventry until delays in the move meant he chose Swindon instead.
The 21-year-old also attracted interest from Watford and Sheffield United after turning down a new deal at Shrewsbury , but opted instead to join the Robins.
The striker told BBC Wiltshire: "Coventry's my hometown and it would have been a honour to play for them.
"But we know they're in embargo difficulties and once I met with Paolo [Di Canio] I didn't want to wait."

Sick Boy

Perhaps he got the offer from Swindon and felt his career would develop more under Di Canio.

At the end of the day, Thorn was the worst manager in our history and no other club will go near him....ever.

Sick Boy

James Collins has revealed he was close to joining Coventry until delays in the move meant he chose Swindon instead.
The 21-year-old also attracted interest from Watford and Sheffield United after turning down a new deal at Shrewsbury , but opted instead to join the Robins.
The striker told BBC Wiltshire: "Coventry's my hometown and it would have been a honour to play for them.
"But we know they're in embargo difficulties and once I met with Paolo [Di Canio] I didn't want to wait."

He would have chosen Di Canio over Thorn even if we didn't have the embargo.

Nick

Administrator

That says he wanted to play for di canio?

dongonzalos

That says he wanted to play for di canio?

Yep once, I met Di Canio I did not want to wait.

Ie no embargo player signed.
Embargo player waits as he said above. Meets Di Canio no longer prepared to wait.

So thanks SISU for not sorting out the embargo otherwise we would have a 12 goal striker on our books now as a permanent signing.

dongonzalos

He signed for swindon on the 18th. Surely if he REALLY wanted to play for us we were the best offer he would have waited 2 days?

So he knew we were coming out if embargo for sure on te 20th.

Did we ever get told any day now for a long time before this date

Nick

Administrator
So he knew we were coming out if embargo for sure on te 20th.

Did we ever get told any day now for a long time before this date

Were you a player we were trying to sign or a reader of the CET? I am pretty sure the staff would know it would be any day soon, whoever submitted the accounts etc and people behind the scenes.

I doubt they got a surprise phone call on the 20th saying "by the way, no more embargo"

Gaz

He signed for swindon on the 18th. Surely if he REALLY wanted to play for us we were the best offer he would have waited 2 days?

But would he have known the embargo was only 2 days away from being lifted ?

Nick

Administrator
But would he have known the embargo was only 2 days away from being lifted ?

Only if somebody at our end had told him and only if he was actually interesting in signing for us after Swindon were involved...

pw362

Must have been the chance to work with di canio that swayed him. Been told he's on a grand a week less at Swindon than we offered him.

Gaz

Well no one on here knows if Collins would have chosen Swindon over us if we hadn't been under a transfer embargo at the time.
I guess we can only speculate on that, Nicky ;)

Users who are viewing this thread