It’s Jordy Hiwula time... (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Meow, very sassy.

Can’t really follow the thread of what you’re trying to say exactly. Why would he potentially be a ‘waste’ if you’re also ‘convinced’ he’ll come good in the coming seasons?

Maybe they didn’t put a bid in, but I think as sources go, the words of the Barnsley manager is pretty concrete. It’s not like our bid for Hiwula was public knowledge, he signed out of nowhere. Nor was our bid for Chaplin public knowledge either — our interest was, and thanks to our Portsmouth friends we found a deal was in place. But was a bid public? The details came out after the matter iirc.

Barnsley boss makes Conor Chaplin transfer claim ahead of City clash

There’s nothing in the post you quoted that suggests you slag off players. But your critique of JCH is wrong. He’s roughly scoring 1 in 4 too so both are set to score about 10 goals. That’s decent. But, if you’re saying we ‘need’ a new striker is pretty much saying he isn’t good enough, implicitly. So far, Hiwula, Chaplin and JCH are all roughly on for 10 goals each, that would be a v good return in my book. Having 3 decent goal scorers in a team is better than one outstanding goal scorer in a team.

Despite quoting you, my last paragraph was strictly a generalised comment.

We’re 9th place and have lost 1 game in the last 7. What’s failing exactly? In the bigger picture, what is a goal for this season? Is it top half? Mid table? Well, that’s where we are so we’re succeeding in our goals on that basis.

We don’t score many goals, which is offset by us having one of the best defences in the league.

We are talking about games, things that aren't working during the matches. Why we can't score many goals.

Mucca Mad Boys

We are talking about games, things that aren't working during the matches. Why we can't score many goals.

Results and our league position is more important. Objectively, we’re performing above expectation, would you disagree with that?

Robins might not be a Guardiola, but he’s a clever man who knows what he’s doing.

Nick

Administrator
Results and our league position is more important. Objectively, we’re performing above expectation, would you disagree with that?

Robins might not be a Guardiola, but he’s a clever man who knows what he’s doing.

Yes and we have just lost 3 in a row.

So people can't discuss the system, tactics etc unless we are struggling in the table? Random.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yes and we have just lost 3 in a row.

So people can't discuss the system, tactics etc unless we are struggling in the table? Random.

Of course that isn’t my phrase. But apparently over the last few games Chaplin and JCH doesnt work, nor does Hiwula on the wing, Doyle in midfield and ‘the system’ doesn’t work. We seem to be doing awfully well all things considered then.

2 were low stakes cup games where we fielded a weakened team in both games. We were probably the better team than Walsall besides the last 20m.

Nick

Administrator
Of course that isn’t my phrase. But apparently over the last few games Chaplin and JCH doesnt work, nor does Hiwula on the wing, Doyle in midfield and ‘the system’ doesn’t work. We seem to be doing awfully well all things considered then.

2 were low stakes cup games where we fielded a weakened team in both games. We were probably the better team than Walsall besides the last 20m.

Are you just literally looking at a league table and making your mind up?

Over the last few games it hasn't worked, it's the same issue we had last season.

steve82

Me personally I feel Chaplin up with JCH can work, ido think he’d be better off a natural target man but just the way we’ve been set up of late with the two in the side I feel Hiwula can be more natural in that role going forwards into December from the work and performances on the wing filling a void for me.

Doyle does ok for me in the deeper role MR asks him to play, and as for the system it’s 442 all the way from my point of view.

For me it’s just a case of getting more from what you have currently as let’s be honest that winning run did have some big slices of luck along the way to come away with win after win in October.

They wasn’t complete performances by a long shot but there was positives and above all confidence came from it for a few of the players and the biggest thing we all want the points on the board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

skybluegod

Meow, very sassy.

Can’t really follow the thread of what you’re trying to say exactly. Why would he potentially be a ‘waste’ if you’re also ‘convinced’ he’ll come good in the coming seasons?

Maybe they didn’t put a bid in, but I think as sources go, the words of the Barnsley manager is pretty concrete. It’s not like our bid for Hiwula was public knowledge, he signed out of nowhere. Nor was our bid for Chaplin public knowledge either — our interest was, and thanks to our Portsmouth friends we found a deal was in place. But was a bid public? The details came out after the matter iirc.

Barnsley boss makes Conor Chaplin transfer claim ahead of City clash

There’s nothing in the post you quoted that suggests you slag off players. But your critique of JCH is wrong. He’s roughly scoring 1 in 4 too so both are set to score about 10 goals. That’s decent. But, if you’re saying we ‘need’ a new striker is pretty much saying he isn’t good enough, implicitly. So far, Hiwula, Chaplin and JCH are all roughly on for 10 goals each, that would be a v good return in my book. Having 3 decent goal scorers in a team is better than one outstanding goal scorer in a team.

Despite quoting you, my last paragraph was strictly a generalised comment.

We’re 9th place and have lost 1 game in the last 7. What’s failing exactly? In the bigger picture, what is a goal for this season? Is it top half? Mid table? Well, that’s where we are so we’re succeeding in our goals on that basis.

We don’t score many goals, which is offset by us having one of the best defences in the league.

Think you struggle to read... I said a waste of MONEY, IF he isn’t going to be at his most effective until next season. Nothing to do with his quality, I was responding to somebody else who said he isn’t going to be most effective without the right partner, and so it is a bit of a waste until we have the right partner?

Fair enough hadn’t seen that. Doesn’t mean he would have signed mind you...

Well 10 goal a seasons strikers don’t win you promotions simple as. So yes I’m not happy with that. 1 in 4 isn’t good enough. It would be if we had a 1 in 2 striker but atm as you have now highlighted we don’t have that.

covcity4life

Judge Rinder probably knows more about football.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Mucca Mad Boys

Are you just literally looking at a league table and making your mind up?

Over the last few games it hasn't worked, it's the same issue we had last season.

Not at all, but I’m objective in my overview in of the system. If you think a system is broken after the odd loss, you’d be chopping changing so often, it would be a detriment to the team. So you have to take a look at the bigger picture, and in the league, we’ve lost once in 7 games, so to say ‘the system’ or certain players don’t work is, well, bring rash. Right now, the system is working. Lose the next 2-4 games, then I’ll be more receptive to this idea of a ‘failed’ system.

Think you struggle to read... I said a waste of MONEY, IF he isn’t going to be at his most effective until next season. Nothing to do with his quality, I was responding to somebody else who said he isn’t going to be most effective without the right partner, and so it is a bit of a waste until we have the right partner?

Fair enough hadn’t seen that. Doesn’t mean he would have signed mind you...

Well 10 goal a seasons strikers don’t win you promotions simple as. So yes I’m not happy with that. 1 in 4 isn’t good enough. It would be if we had a 1 in 2 striker but atm as you have now highlighted we don’t have that.

This isn’t YouTube where you throw around juvenile insults.

Shrewsbury’s top goal scorer last season was on about 11 goals, they came third. Peterborough and Portsmouth, both had 20+ goal strikers (the only two) and finished outside the playoffs. Remember when we had two 20+ goal a season strikers in the same team under Pressley? But, our defence was terrible. Defence wins you games more often than ‘we’ll outscore you’ tactics.

A 1 in 2 striker translates to roughly 23 goals so if your expectations are that high, you’re setting yourself for disappointment because McNulty was a one off. 1 in 3 is a reasonable target, as 15-17 goals is where most of the league’s best will score. Ideally, we want Chaplin to be there and JCH on about 10+ in an ideal, but pragmatic world.

You can’t seriously expect or for us to be in promotion contention this season? Making a statement like ‘10 goal a season strikers don’t win promotions’, whilst true, isn’t understanding our situation now. We’re probably not aiming for promotion right now. We’ve just got promoted, we have a young team so we definitely need a few signings to go that extra level. But for what we’re trying to achieve, consolidation and/or a solid top half finish, we’re doing well.

skybluebeast

Hiwula was truly dreadful last Saturday, looked lost and disinterested even when pushed up top. Imho he should be dropped Friday night for Jones or slot kelly in the middle and Bayliss wise right and thomas wide left.

ccfcway

Not at all, but I’m objective in my overview in of the system. If you think a system is broken after the odd loss, you’d be chopping changing so often, it would be a detriment to the team. So you have to take a look at the bigger picture, and in the league, we’ve lost once in 7 games, so to say ‘the system’ or certain players don’t work is, well, bring rash. Right now, the system is working. Lose the next 2-4 games, then I’ll be more receptive to this idea of a ‘failed’ system.

even then we would be mid table and still within reach of play offs in Dec.

dazed&confused

If it's Jordy Hiwula time, it's time to turn off the lights and for everyone to go home. He was - as others have pointed out - truly mediocre and ineffectual at Burton, and while I wouldn't totally write him off, it might be time to give someone/anyone else a chance.

steve82

If it's Jordy Hiwula time, it's time to turn off the lights and for everyone to go home. He was - as others have pointed out - truly mediocre and ineffectual at Burton, and while I wouldn't totally write him off, it might be time to give someone/anyone else a chance.

On the wing.... so play him as a striker. It’s a novel idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steve82

His first touch is very poor which isn’t a great attribute when playing central.

If he was playing in the premier league... however this is league one, and exactly why he’s playing in league one at this point of his career the level he’s performed at the last few seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covcity4life

i think once chplin plays in opposition box and gambles on knock ons he wills core a hat full

wether thats his fault or robins currently i do not know but it needs to be rectified

Warwickhunt

i think once chplin plays in opposition box and gambles on knock ons he wills core a hat full

wether thats his fault or robins currently i do not know but it needs to be rectified
Robins fault every time with Chaplin! he will not let him loose like he did with McNulty

Users who are viewing this thread