Is Wycombe a one-off or the new normal? (1 Viewer)

Ooh Ah

Such an enjoyable game, with the fourth goal a thing of beauty live – don’t think the footage does it justice. I am not convinced we will play consistently that well for the second half of the season, but reflecting afterwards, several hopeful points struck me:

1. Movement of Godden was exceptional with balls played down channels into his feet. Is Godden better having recovered from nagging injury or team more playing to his strengths?

2. Is there a player we can’t lose? I still worry if we lose Kelly, Godden or Marosi to injury/suspension, but even the bench now looks strong.

3. Back three comfortable on the ball, combative and organised. One lost header by Hyam and McFazdean wrong side for goal aside, dominant. McFadzean seems the main difference, no ponderous play or rushed pass that gave away goals earlier in the season. Is this coaching or was there a confidence/injury issue?

4. Is there a central midfield pair better than Kelly and Walsh in the league?

5. Were we just too good, overloading central areas and passing through Wycombe or did Ainsworth lose the tactical battle/too one dimensional to combat our style?

Tranmere now seems a key game to see if a new standard is set and Bristol Rovers key in terms of getting in some money we obviously need to keep the squad together, or even improve it. As a long-term Sky Blue feel an almost inevitable poor performance will occur but hoping a corner has been turned. Thoughts?

ccfcchris

Such an enjoyable game, with the fourth goal a thing of beauty live – don’t think the footage does it justice. I am not convinced we will play consistently that well for the second half of the season, but reflecting afterwards, several hopeful points struck me:

Tranmere now seems a key game to see if a new standard is set and Bristol Rovers key in terms of getting in some money we obviously need to keep the squad together, or even improve it. As a long-term Sky Blue feel an almost inevitable poor performance will occur but hoping a corner has been turned. Thoughts?
Maybe we're part of the problem as fans never really believing?

hill83

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 2477

Of course it's a one off, this is Coventry City we are talking about
And this is the problem. Our fans are great in one respect with away followings etc but no matter how well we are doing there is always negativity and some are so fickle. You only have to see the amount of extra posts and comments on here when we lose two in a row to see what im saying

NortonSkyBlue

Yes time will tell. In our experience it is unlikely to be that straightforward and we will have the twists and turns that have been our norm.
I expect that confidence will be high amongst the players after such a performance but it's a different day and a different opponent and it's up to us to impose our game on Tranmere.

hill83

And this is the problem. Our fans are great in one respect with away followings etc but no matter how well we are doing there is always negativity and some are so fickle. You only have to see the amount of extra posts and comments on here when we lose two in a row to see what im saying

Whilst I agree with you it works both ways. There’s going to be a shortage of tissue around Cov with this one away win. Talk of promotion and best team in the league etc. I do prefer the positivity though and there is usually more negativity but that stems from supporting us mostly being negative. Fickle lot football fans.

I've loved Cov long enough (55 years) to know that we will lose against Tranmere on NYD. Would be great to be proved wrong though

mrtrench

McFadzean seems the main difference, no ponderous play or rushed pass that gave away goals earlier in the season. Is this coaching or was there a confidence/injury issue?

He tried an awful back pass on Sunday but got lucky when Marosi got there just before the striker. I don't think it's purged just yet.

Warwickhunt

I've loved Cov long enough (55 years) to know that we will lose against Tranmere on NYD. Would be great to be proved wrong though
The Misses sad to me when Godden was taking the Penalty "You are such a big Pessamist!" after i said bet we miss it!
Its Cov Innit!

Irish Sky Blue

Totally disagree with this. The negativity starts after one loss in a row.

Mucca Mad Boys

Let’s just see what happens now, the monkey is off our back and hopefully the team gets confident and builds on a great result.

We’re difficult to beat, but it’s up to us to pick up more wins.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Of course it's a one off, this is Coventry City we are talking about

Or its like waiting for a bus, you don't get any for ages and then two come along.

Gray

No. I've supported Coventry 30 years (season ticket for nearly 20). I know what happens next I've seen it on multiple occasions.

robbiethemole

have we lost 2 in a row this season???

SkyblueTexan

As long-suffering fans who have seen the highs of winning the FA Cup and staying in the top flight for the better part of over three decades as well as the lows of dropping into league 2 and not having a ground to call home, aren’t we entitled or expected to want something more from the club we hold dear? It’s almost as if you’re asking if a parent should not want something better for their child, but to be satisfied with doing for well in a mediocre division. Like many of us, I want us to get out League 1 as soon as possible and feel this season might be a great opportunity. I think some fans (including myself) get negative at times because we shouldn’t be losing to the likes of Shrewsbury or Tranmere (at home) etc.

Winny the Bish

No. Wycombe are the perfect opponents for us. They play one up front who is swallowed up by our three at the back and didn’t try to press us at all, which gave the CBs time to play their passes.

A high, co-ordinated press puts us under immense pressure and stops us badly. I wish we could play against that lummox Akinfenwa every week.

Gint11

You are describing fans at every club pal. It is what it is.

Mcbean

How did Wycombe get so far ahead in the league ? Possibly Sunday was like the Rotherham game - MR outplayed Wycombes tactics big time anyway Tranmere trashing coming up PUSB

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

No. Wycombe are the perfect opponents for us. They play one up front who is swallowed up by our three at the back and didn’t try to press us at all, which gave the CBs time to play their passes.

A high, co-ordinated press puts us under immense pressure and stops us badly. I wish we could play against that lummox Akinfenwa every week.

Exactly, especially first half - we used the left a lot and McCallum had acres of space down that side, no pressing from Wycombe or any pressure on the ball whatsoever.

They changed 2nd half and the front 3 pushed further up onto our CBs to try and limit the space to play out from the back, which worked to an extent as we weren't as fluid and gave the ball away a few times

Tranmere in the home game practically played half court against us, so will be interesting to see if they do the same or come out with a bit more intent due to being at home

Users who are viewing this thread