Is this what we have to look forward to (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2477
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2477

with the potential of losing our current home at the end of the season its interesting to see fans views on possibly moving our club to play at Nuneaton however just think about what this means given the history of our club and what it has done in the past 100 years.

I think putting it into pictures sums up what it would really mean if we were to move from the Ricoh so what do you think ?

Are you really happy to see our club be pushed out of its home yet again to end up like this !!!

Attachments

• B6880DEA-1F2F-4AF0-82C0-22E7113AF092.png
    B6880DEA-1F2F-4AF0-82C0-22E7113AF092.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 151
  • FFBCE1CE-2F67-4070-9E80-D26F430AF413.jpeg
    FFBCE1CE-2F67-4070-9E80-D26F430AF413.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 33F84572-98FD-4C92-996E-36B2D9748DF0.jpeg
    33F84572-98FD-4C92-996E-36B2D9748DF0.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 159

Otis

with the potential of losing our current home at the end of the season its interesting to see fans views on possibly moving our club to play at Nuneaton however just think about what this means given the history of our club and what it has done in the past 100 years.

I think putting it into pictures sums up what it would really mean if we were to move from the Ricoh so what do you think ?

Are you really happy to see our club be pushed out of its home yet again to end up like this !!!
And reduced to this in 3 years time?

jumpersforgoalposts.gif

Joy Division

Two of those ground photos you've posted don't even exist anymore.

covcity4life

Is annoyong thouhh that after a great season we are back tonworryijg about wether club will exist or nit

Hooefully 5 year rent deal be foujd and we can be in chanpionship by time we have to deal with this shit again

christonabike

Looking at Highfield Rd photos make me so sad. What we had was just right and building on the corners of the ground would of made it a 27k seater stadium. Been said hundreds of times I know but it really is criminal to what we have become now. Fair play to us for sticking with them and "playing till the game is won".

Liquid Gold

Looking at Highfield Rd photos make me so sad. What we had was just right and building on the corners of the ground would of made it a 27k seater stadium. Been said hundreds of times I know but it really is criminal to what we have become now. Fair play to us for sticking with them and "playing till the game is won".
Completely agree, we could have ended up with something along the lines of Bramall Lane which, despite the inhabitants, is a cracking ground.

CJ_covblaze

Completely agree, we could have ended up with something along the lines of Bramall Lane which, despite the inhabitants, is a cracking ground.

Ashton Gate is another example.

D

Deleted member 2477

The hawthornes is another example. Love the old style grounds and the atmosphere especially night games

CJ_covblaze

The hawthornes is another example. Love the old style grounds and the atmosphere especially night games

St Andrews too. There are loads.

Joy Division

A lot of these grounds mentioned had a lot more space to expand than Highfield Road did, it was pretty hemmed in with housing and unless the club bought some of the surrounding houses I think we would have struggled to add to the capacity of the stadium.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

A lot of these grounds mentioned had a lot more space to expand than Highfield Road did, it was pretty hemmed in with housing and unless the club bought some of the surrounding houses I think we would have struggled to add to the capacity of the stadium.

Agreed, not only this, not sure why we would need to be worried about expanding it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Gibson's perm

I am sur w could have developed HR there was a lot of space behind the sky blue stand, but little desire to do it as The Ricoh was a nice easy way to make money move aground

shmmeee

I am sur w could have developed HR there was a lot of space behind the sky blue stand, but little desire to do it as The Ricoh was a nice easy way to make money move aground

This isn’t true. They looked at expanding first and decided it wasn’t feasible.

I think there were issues around expanding capacity with the existing “infrastructure” if you can call it that, around the ground.

Terry Gibson's perm

I think there were issues around expanding capacity with the existing “infrastructure” if you can call it that, around the ground.

How hard did they look into it they had a dream to move as there were a lot of personal benefits for at least two of the directors. I think what they would have struggled with was car parking. Do you not think they could have moved the sky blue stand back and shuffled the pitch.

But difficult to do now though.

Nick

Administrator
How hard did they look into it they had a dream to move as there were a lot of personal benefits for at least two of the directors. I think what they would have struggled with was car parking. Do you not think they could have moved the sky blue stand back and shuffled the pitch.

But difficult to do now though.

Nah, should still do it.

Sack those shitty new builds off, flatten it and go from there.

fernandopartridge

The Sky Blue Stand has sufficient space to expand, could have increase its capacity by 4-5k easily.

There were options associated with Highfield Rd but they were ignored due to the distraction of bidding for the 2006 World Cup

NorthernWisdom

The Sky Blue Stand has sufficient space to expand, could have increase its capacity by 4-5k easily.

There were options associated with Highfield Rd but they were ignored due to the distraction of bidding for the 2006 World Cup
That came later didn't it?

I'd always thought a political motive, given who our major shareholder was at the time, and the desire to regenerate that area of Coventry.

Joy Division

Not really when considering the proximity to Thackhall Street, I think adding another tier of 5,000 would be possible but getting planning permission in such a tight residential area would be difficult. One of the reasons the East Stand wasn't built any bigger was due to the neighboring houses on Swan Lane as far as I remember. Even Liverpool have been struggling for years to redevelop the Anfield Road end by trying to divert the road that backs on that stand.

Don't get me wrong I would have much preferred to stay there and have the ground redeveloped but think there were a lot of barriers there.

BP2094019.png

Terry Gibson's perm

When you look at the picture it was plenty gig enough for us as it was it just suited people to move.

chiefdave

Spoke to someone a couple of years ago who was involved in some feasibility studies that were carried out in to various plans to expand HR.

He said several schemes got to the stage of being presented to the council, as they would require changes to road infrastructure and in one case the councils assistance in compulsory purchasing some properties, but that was the point they always fell apart. He said there was no desire on the part of the council to assist the club preferring a new stadium even before the Ricoh was on the cards.

The ones we talked about in the most detail were the one BHSB mentioned. One, prior to the kop being replaced, involving a much bigger replacement stand with a tunnel underneath for the road which would surely have been ridiculously expensive. And another where they would build a new main stand on the Thackall Street side but it would be a lot bigger to include more facilities, to the point it would swallow up the road. That would then be extended around to replace the West Stand before the old main stand was replaced with something that would fit in the existing footprint being the most land locked.

Users who are viewing this thread