Is there an advantage to be had from teams having their games postponed yesterday? (1 Viewer)

Otis

The Christmas period brings games thick and fast and pretty much every manager to a single man will come out and say it's too many games in a short period and that tiredness can be a factor and also that rotation of players may be needed.

Well in view of just how many games were postponed yesterday i have to wonder whether there is an advantage to be gained over the likes of us who played yesterday. We have 4 games in little over a week, where most others will only have 3.

Wonder if that is going to take it's toll on us. We have key players with no ready made replacement to come in for them (DMC, Adams, Bailey).

Bit concerned tiredness could be a big factor this Christmas and instead of the usual hard pitches this time of year, we look like we are going to be confronted by sodden, heavy, boggy pitches that can sap the strength more than usual.

Stevenage should be fresher than us on Wednesday you would have thought. We made very hard work of things yesterday on a heavy pitch and we looked anything but fresh.

Sky Blues

The Christmas period brings games thick and fast and pretty much every manager to a single man will come out and say it's too many games in a short period and that tiredness can be a factor and also that rotation of players may be needed.

Well in view of just how many games were postponed yesterday i have to wonder whether there is an advantage to be gained over the likes of us who played yesterday. We have 4 games in little over a week, where most others will only have 3.

Wonder if that is going to take it's toll on us. We have key players with no ready made replacement to come in for them (DMC, Adams, Bailey).

Bit concerned tiredness could be a big factor this Christmas and instead of the usual hard pitches this time of year, we look like we are going to be confronted by sodden, heavy, boggy pitches that can sap the strength more than usual.

Stevenage should be fresher than us on Wednesday you would have thought. We made very hard work of things yesterday on a heavy pitch and we looked anything but fresh.

OK, so he didn't score yesterday, but don't we want as many games as possible to take place while we still have McGoldrick? But beyond that, yes, I see your point. I guess most of them will reschedule for a vacant JPT night so we might not gain the advantage they get back later in the season either.

Otis

Yep agree. We wanted to play the game for sure.

Just think Stevenage will be fresher and when we play MK it will be our 3rd game and only their 2nd and with Shrewsbury, our 4th and their 3rd.

Sky Blues

Yep agree. We wanted to play the game for sure.

Just think Stevenage will be fresher and when we play MK it will be our 3rd game and only their 2nd and with Shrewsbury, our 4th and their 3rd.

Hopefully this will be the time of the season where our comparatively large squad will start working to our advantage - if Robins feels the fringe players are capable enough to alllow him to freshen things up a little.

Otis

I don't believe we have a small squad. I do however believe we have a small squad in terms of the degree of quality we have within it.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Good call Otis.... hadn't really considered this.. I guess this is the penalty we pay for the quality of the stadium we hire(squat)... maybe Hinckley isn't such a bad option?

Otis

Yup.

As I just said on another thread, we go to Hinckley then get promoted this season, what are they going to do about the 14,000 - 15,000 who would want to go up to watch us in the Championship next year?

Tongue in cheek re Hinckley reference... I recall Highfield road being installed with under-soil heating.. often we'd get a game on against the odds(yes when winters were really winters)... lose the game and then bemoan our progressive nature costing us points?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Not sure it's an advantage or not, having so many games postponed. Some games that should have been played yesterday could have completely different outcomes later on, due to the facts: new players come in, any injuries will be over, different systems, different manager even. On the plus side, the really good teams from yesterdays postponed games could also be going through a bad patch by the time they re-schedule. So it's make your mind up time... :thinking about:

Sky Blue Kid

It is an advantage, especially in the short term. Teams directly above or below who had their game postponed now know what sort of team to field in their next game, ie, defensive/attacking to either keep Cov below them, or know exactly what to do to overtake our position. That's my opinion of course, where tactics comes in.

Greggs

Preston had a very tough game mid-week, we had a week off. Explain please Otis

Greggs

On form, the last ten games, we are a better side than Preston, Stevenage and MK Dons..........

Otis

Let's see after the next two games shall we.

Both MK and Stevenage and now Preston, have all dominated us so far this season.

Greggs

Dominated is a strong word. Something that happened frequently under AT, but not too often under MR.

Otis

Would say they did dominate us.

We were at home yesterday and their keeper didn't have a single save to make. They also had the most possession, more corners and shots.

It's not like AT for sure though. Much rarer now.

Greggs

From the 1st minute PNE set out to disrupt our play, they succeeded, i do'nt know about dominate. The ref played to their game play too!
For the first time in a long while i think we are actually a better away side and more suited to playing away from home.

Sky Blue Kid

Being "On form" doesn't mean we are a better team. Teams that have dominated us and scored more goals in the game than us, I would class as better than us. We have beaten teams this season by "Squeaking a goal" yet have been more or less overrun.
We have improved a lot of late, but even in this league there are technically superior teams than we are.

Greggs

Yes they were Dominant for 60-70% of the game .

For 60-70% of the game they squealed dying on the floor, lined up throw ins, slowed set pieces, tea and coffee break on 40 minutes and occasionally played basketball.

Last edited:

Greggs

Being "On form" doesn't mean we are a better team. Teams that have dominated us and scored more goals in the game than us, I would class as better than us. We have beaten teams this season by "Squeaking a goal" yet have been more or less overrun.
We have improved a lot of late, but even in this league there are technically superior teams than we are.

But surely it does?

wingy

For 60-70% of the game they squealed dying on the floor, lined up throw ins, slowed set pieces, tea and coffee break on 40 minutes.

Yes they played their cards very well ,Its up to us to counter that ,reminded me of the Carlisle game .

there is no doubting we get the better results when have the better refs ,he was very easily influenced yesterday ,i found it hard to believe he was the same one who reffed at the Emirates.:thinking about:

Greggs

Yes they played their cards very well ,Its up to us to counter that ,reminded me of the Carlisle game .

there is no doubting we get the better results when have the better refs ,he was very easily influenced yesterday ,i found it hard to believe he was the same one who reffed at the Emirates.:thinking about:

You can see why he has dropped down the leagues, total prima donna, never stopped chattin and smiling with their players, that incensed me!
And what the fuck the 4th official is for eludes me, knobhead Westley was coaching from the corner flags at times.

covcity4life

If we had won it would be our mental advantage

As it stands we may have momentum from playing more

Swings and roundabouts

Otis

But surely it does?

Not necessarily. Depends who you are playing. If our good run came against Sheff U, MK and Tranmere etc., the teams at the top, then yes.

No disrespect, but Donny apart, our good run has come against Hartlepool, Colchester and Walsall.

Greggs

Football players in form are better than players not in form. Confidence is a huge factor and adding the technical ability and squad depth to the mix you cannot doubt it, in my opinion ;-)

Otis

Why are you acting Like our run is over?

I'm not.

Just think we were brought back down to earth yesterday and know that we have 2 very tough away games coming up.

I will be totally thrilled if we get two draws out of those two matches.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Does anyone know how the Stevanage pitches are? I think there is a good chance that game might be rained off on Wednesday

Sky Blue Kid

Originally Posted by Sky Blue Kid
Being "On form" doesn't mean we are a better team.

Greggs says....But surely it does!

SBK says.....By this "Train of thought" Shrewsbury and Wrexham are better teams than CCFC?:D

Greggs

what?........Shrewsbury over the last ten games? Wrexham in our league?

In my view, and we've debated this before.. we were out-crafted yesterday.. and I don't mean a 'subtle' craft of the art form .. I mean a First division 'craft'... 'muscled, bullied, antagonised, harassed, pushed, shoved..' describe it as you will.
Our more pleasing style of football wasn't a match for Preston for most of the game. I would argue that Preston weren't the better footballing team.. but better at the first division art of football- we have to learn to adapt to and play against this style of football far more proficiently if we are to thrive in this league.
Preston were horrible to play against- horrible to watch- I was annoyed and frustrated by them all through the game. They reminded me a lot of the Wimbledon of old (before they franchised to MK!!).
Not a criticism of them per-se- fair play if that's what gets results.

We are going to the JPT game but am now not optimistic or looking forward to it.

Last edited:

wingy

In my view, and we've debated this before.. we were out-crafted yesterday.. and I don't mean a 'subtle' craft of the art form .. I mean a First division 'craft'... 'muscled, bullied, antagonised, harassed, pushed, shoved..' describe it as you will.
Our more pleasing style of football wasn't a match for Preston for most of the game. I would argue that Preston weren't the better footballing team.. but better at the first division art of football- we have to learn to adapt to and play against this style of football far more proficiently if we are to thrive in this league.
Preston were horrible to play against- horrible to watch- I was annoyed and frustrated by them all through the game. They reminded me a lot of the Wimbledon of old (before they franchised to MK!!).
Not a criticism of them per-se- fair play if that's what gets results.

We are going to the JPT game but am now not optimistic or looking forward to it.

It was just like the Carlisle game ,but we have different players and manager.

Users who are viewing this thread