Is it time to play our youth players? (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

I'd snap there hands off! The point is most of them are never good enough to make it long term at a high level and will drop down the leagues as we have seem all to often. Kevin Thornton another-Andrew Whing, the list goes on. Feel free to add your own at will.

And how many academy's produce players who are good enough to play 100+ games in the Premier League? Not many.

Norwich have recently spent £2.5m on James Maddison because they see he has potential to become a Premier League player in the next 6 months or maybe 2 years time. If he's released in say 2019, how is that our fault? We've done our job of developing him from schoolboy level to the first team that a Premier League club wants to pay good money for him.

It's now up to Norwich and Maddison himself to nurture that potential.

higgs

Sambou looks a good prospect he could do a callum Wilson next season 20+ goals has he been offered a contract

J

Jack Griffin

Another point around this when weighing up pros and cons.
There is a huge abandoned pool of talent every summer from higher league clubs.
Players from a far higher starting point than we are likely to attract,it shouldn't be beyond the realms to select some of the potential there and still make a profit from an annual or Bi-annual sale.

I think the strategy has changed from bringing on academy talent to scouting players from non-league & abroad and tempting them by the prospect of first team football under a decent manager.

I don't expect an academy will be present in a few years, closure will be blamed on others but its becoming clear that the direction has changed already.

Last edited by a moderator:

higgs

This Freddie ladapo on trial with palace that we are interested in aswell could be a good signing hopefully hungry from non league

ollyservetta

Yep ,give them the playing time along with contracted players who will still be here next season, got to start building now . Even at our best ,dout very much the current team could win in the play offs, and what, if by a miricle ,we went up ,the squad will still be desamated come the summer ,and coming straight back down will do more harm than good .

Users who are viewing this thread