Is it the striker or is it the team? (1 Viewer)

Otis

DMC's contribution has been massive.

Thing is now though, think the confidence is so sky high amongst the squad with this run, other players have now stepped up to the plate and hopefully now the loss of McGoldrick won't be as severe. Especially if Leon Clarke can fill his boots adequately enough.

Last edited:

CJparker

But do you think the current level of confidence will be dissipated if MCG leaves?

Tonylinc

This is a very good point in my opinion and one which I have been considering for some time. My conclusion is that the confidence which McG gives to the whole team is massive. They know that if they can get the ball up to him he will score more than he misses. Without him up there they may well loose some of that confidence. Yes, Elliott did very well on Sat. but can he do it on a regular basis?

blitzer109

Team

every player has their job and they need to do it to the best of their ability whether it be kicking the oppositions CF up in the air or sticking the ball in the net

if everyone does their job we win, pure and simple

ps1948

If I were gifted enough to be a professional footballer, I would want to play every week......but unfortunately agents tend to decide what is best for them and not necessarily their clients, so whoever offers the most will be the agents chosen team. Hope I'm wrong.

Sky Blue Pete

Thing is now though, think the confidence is so sky high amongst the squad with this run, other players have now stepped up to the plate and hopefully now the loss of McGoldrick won't be as severe. Especially if Leon Clarke can fill his boots adequately enough.

Yep he has been massive not just for the teams confidence, team results, fans and this season but I genuinely believe for the future of our football club whether he stays and carries things on or not!

skybluegod

I think it's more do to with the fact that we're creating more chances with this new formation I think if you put in any half decent striker then he would score goals like Elliot yesterday.

stupot07

Completely agree Otis, you can't underestimate the confidence in having the leagues top scorer and one who has scored 15 in his set 16 outings. His goalscoring prowess has also took pressure off our attacking players and defenders as they know he's always got a goal in him, this has allowed others to shoot when they might have took the easier option and passed to someone else. This along with results has bred confidence and ad such we're creating chances, opposition teams are scared of us because they know we will score.

BurbageSkyBlues

Very good original post, it definitely is the team and DMG feeding each other, IMO.

MR was a striker, and as such I trust his ability to identify one that will fit in with the way he has us playing........something which DMG has definitely benefitted from. The arrival of Leon Clarke should mitigate the loss of mcgoldrick, who may be about to make a massive mistake if he leaves.

Btw, did anyone else have the following thought...? DMG may have been offered a move to mkdons, so he deliberately got booked to miss that game, and not score against his future employers? Just a conspiracy theory.......

Mucca Mad Boys

I think Clarke could be just as good as McG was, they have a similar goals:game ratio and Clarke played for a team that was struggling in 23rd (I don't know how many pens he scored though).

I'd prefer if we just kept McG though.

Tonylinc

Very good original post, it definitely is the team and DMG feeding each other, IMO.

MR was a striker, and as such I trust his ability to identify one that will fit in with the way he has us playing........something which DMG has definitely benefitted from. The arrival of Leon Clarke should mitigate the loss of mcgoldrick, who may be about to make a massive mistake if he leaves.

Btw, did anyone else have the following thought...? DMG may have been offered a move to mkdons, so he deliberately got booked to miss that game, and not score against his future employers? Just a conspiracy theory.......
If McG leaves us I would expect to be for a Championship club at least!

Astute

McG has been massive for us. He has given us confidence we haven't had for a long time. We have also been good for him. I would love to keep him.

However it don't matter how good the striker is. He still needs a team behind him. A team is only as good as it's weakest link.

BurbageSkyBlues

If McG leaves us I would expect to be for a Championship club at least!

You'd think so, wouldn't you.....but what makes me think about 'who' , is , if Forest don't want him, who would they sell him to , and how much for? Would be lower order champ team, on that basis , because they would not sell him for a token fee to another playoff contender, surely? In that case, who else would meet his wage demands (assuming that is why we cannot afford him)? I'm guessing, but it would be someone like Leeds, maybe? Apart from that, who else could afford him, where he is likely to play each week.....as opposed to fading into obscurity again.

Fingers crossed, he stays....otherwise a promotion chasing league one side, with some money?

Paxman II

Oh for sure and as proven the team have scored goals when McGoldrick has not. But its McGoldrick's goals that have lifted the spirit and confidence and with him out the side it could be damaging. That did not prove so saturday though? However the leagues top scorer is significant so its a 50/50 thing for me but the significance of anyone who can put the ball in the net more often than not must not be under estimated. Its gold dust to have a striker on such form.

McG's goals were the catalyst to help others gain confidence but its about a group of players with a belief and a give a shit attitude, backed by a superb manager. One player cant break that but the next test will be when we lose a couple of games and how quickly they bounce back. Teams that get promoted might lose the odd game but they are back at it in the next game, thats what we will need to show.

wingy

The whole ethos of the team has shifted ,when they recieve the ball in midfield there is only one motive and that is to move it forward and rapidly,hopefully the rest will take care of itself with or without DMC.

Mr pot

.mc gold dick wasn't even there on Saturday at any point around the team. Mark robins would not build a team around one player. Saturday proved that

Tank Top

The Adage says "Better to be a big fish in a small pool, than a little fish in a big one" but to be realistic Mc Goldrick is a professional Footballer, and his agent wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't get the most money for his player, "Agents don't do sentiment"! and if we want McGoldrick we will have to pay market value.
This player has been magnificent for us, his all round contribution to the team has made him a real Talisman, but unlike others I will consider it a great loss if he goes elsewhere, I have noticed a few rumblings against DM, which is a shame, as he only has good things to say about The Sky Blues, if he goes lets wish him well and thank him for his contribution in helping us to climb the table in such an exciting fashion .

covcity4life

mk dons result was huge as it showed the rest of the players that they can be the best in the league even without dmc

i wasnt so sure and i doubt likes of baker,christie,jennings etc were either

but we all are now

lets do the shrews!

If DMc does go it is highly likely to be to a Championship side. On the basis that Forest wouldn't want to offer him to a rival club it would seem logical that they sell him on a pre contract arrangement at the end of the season. That way Forest get their transfer fee and we get to keep him on loan to the end of the season.
This is what his agent informs me so keep it to yourselves.;)

Remember you heard it here first.:D

ricohman

If DMc does go it is highly likely to be to a Championship side. On the basis that Forest wouldn't want to offer him to a rival club it would seem logical that they sell him on a pre contract arrangement at the end of the season. That way Forest get their transfer fee and we get to keep him on loan to the end of the season.
This is what his agent informs me so keep it to yourselves.;)

Remember you heard it here first.:D

Seems you were right!!!

ricohman

Lets not slate mc goldrick, he gavé his all for this club and showed all these other players how to put some passion into the performance at start of season.

Users who are viewing this thread