Is Football Going Mad ? (2 Viewers)

bringbackrattles

Is the beautiful game going a bit nuts ? Its always been tribal and passionate you only had to be around in the 70's/80's to see for yourself. But now when I listen to radio phone ins and look on social media,and fans are angry at their club or the opposition, and hardly any one seems happy or content. If their team loses a few games they're on the verge of a breakdown, and want the manager out, but then they win a couple of games and things ain't so bad again.And Players appear to play half heartedly and spit their dummies out if they don't like their manager, and try and engineer a move instead of getting on with things, many act like spoilt brats. Maybe football this game we all love has always been like this, but it just seems to have gone a little bit insane ? Any thoughts ?

Otis

Is the beautiful game going a bit nuts ? Its always been tribal and passionate you only had to be around in the 70's/80's to see for yourself. But now when I listen to radio phone ins and look on social media,and fans are angry at their club or the opposition, and hardly any one seems happy or content. If their team loses a few games they're on the verge of a breakdown, and want the manager out, but then they win a couple of games and things ain't so bad again.And Players appear to play half heartedly and spit their dummies out if they don't like their manager, and try and engineer a move instead of getting on with things, many act like spoilt brats. Maybe football this game we all love has always been like this, but it just seems to have gone a little bit insane ? Any thoughts ?
Interesting.

Would be interesting to know how individual posters on here feel we teams score against us or when we lose. How do they feel at the time and on going home?

Angry? Sad, Frustrated? A combination?

I do find it fascinating when I see goals going in on the TV and some of the home fans getting so angry and het up when a goal is scored against them. Could be a wonderful strike against them, yet still some fans leap out of their seats to berate the defence, or the keeper or whoever is in their firing line, waving their arms around like crazy and almost bursting a blood vessel.

bringbackrattles

Interesting.

Would be interesting to know how individual posters on here feel we teams score against us or when we lose. How do they feel at the time and on going home?

I do find it fascinating when I see goals going in on the TV and some of the home fans getting so angry and het up when a goal is scored against them. Could be a wonderful strike against them, yet still some fans leap out of their seats to berate the defence, or the keeper or whoever is in their firing line, waving their arms around like crazy and almost bursting a blood vessel.
Could be because of too high expectations ?
Fans should know by now only a handful of clubs will win trophies,with the odd exception occasionally. As a Cov City supporter of 50 plus years I've become hardened to it all now,take the Barnet game it was boring and sleep inducing,but I walked away at the end happy at the three points,yet many were unhappy at the performance etc.

Otis

Could be because of too high expectations ?
Fans should know by now only a handful of clubs will win trophies,with the odd exception occasionally. As a Cov City supporter of 50 plus years I've become hardened to it all now,take the Barnet game it was boring and sleep inducing,but I walked away at the end happy at the three points,yet many were unhappy at the performance etc.
I can walk away from a defeat quite happy, as long as we really competed and did the best we could possibly do as a team.

bringbackrattles

I remember walking out of Highfield Road with my dad after we got thumped 6-0 to Everton. I was pissed off but my dad gave me a rollicking saying we lost to the better team, but we tried hard and our players gave it their all. I always thought my dad was a bit mad !

Gazolba

I watched almost every home game and many away games during our Jimmy Hill years.
It was mostly success since we had a great team and manager, and beat almost everyone, and were very hard to beat ourselves.
But I don't ever recall feeling the players did not try hard enough. They gave their all for 90 minutes every game.
They never slacked up when they were ahead and heads never went down when they were behind.
There was no such thing as a lazy player back then.
And they earned peanuts compared to today.

Terry Gibson's perm

Interesting.

When we lose I am f ing furious as I don’t think we should ever lose in this league, I then get into the car an listen to eakin and his garbage and I nearly explode

Grendel

Nothing’s changed really in that regard. Managers in particular are successful one minute and not the next.

Most were happy when Sillet was sacked as an example. I remember the debacle in the early 80’s with fans abusing players after the last game of the out of contract season (West Ham or Ipswich) when Hately was chased by an angry mob and Sealey under real threat of attack on the pitch

Fans shouting “kill kill kill Jimmy Hill”

It all happened.

Covstu

I like the emotion in the game to be honest, a lose pisses me off particularly if we haven’t tried. I just think access to people’s views is more accessible and therefore you tend to hear more I guess

Otis

I used to get very worked out and a defeat would ruin my weekend. As I've got older I've got some perspective and don't let it get to me too much.
It can still ruin my weekend, but I never, ever get angry, merely saddened.

I never leap out of my seat and berate a player either, unless it is an opponent with a really bad tackle or suchlike.

bringbackrattles

I used to get very worked out and a defeat would ruin my weekend. As I've got older I've got some perspective and don't let it get to me too much.
An Arsenal fan last week actually cried on the radio saying he'd had enough of Wenger etc.I felt embarrassed just hearing him sobbing,I shouted at the radio " get a grip man." I thought if you cry over your football team what will you be like when something really bad happens in your life ? We Cov fans must be hard now as if any supporters should blubber on the radio it's us !

Sky Blue Pete

Very happy to applaud good play by another team and goals to be honest. Get very frustrated when players can’t pass, control, move off the ball etc. I get frustrated too quickly but I don’t think I’d sob unless at the end of next season we are relegated and go out of business

bringbackrattles

Southampton sack their manager. The last one Puel got them to 8th place and a League Cup Final. They sacked the Frenchman because of his style of play !

Users who are viewing this thread