Is CCFC England's latest franchise club? (1 Viewer)

Neutral Fan

I fear it is. SISU are a hedge fund. Their sole purpose is to make money. They know nothing about football (as is clear).

For those who don't know, down the road from here, a fella called Winkie owned some land in Milton Keynes. He got Asda to agree to build a whole stadium for him for free if they could also build a supermarket. The council gave permission with a Section 106 requiring a league team to play at the stadium.

Winkie persuaded the FL appeals committee to allow WFC to be franchised to MK. His property deal was sealed and a free stadium was his.

Sound a bit familiar? SISU want a stadium for a song and are happy to mess the FC around and use the GS/franchise to achieve it.

I've always thought SISU have been using MK Dons as their business model. Todays reports convince me even more.

Where will CCFC end up? The FL in London would consider anywhere in the WM as "the Coventry area" as what would they know? Or maybe SISU have more radical ideas...who knows? The club could end up anywhere or the GS/franchise just sold on to anyone?

hill83

A nice simple no. You could have saved yourself 10 minutes really.

RFC

I fear it is. SISU are a hedge fund. Their sole purpose is to make money. They know nothing about football (as is clear).

For those who don't know, down the road from here, a fella called Winkie owned some land in Milton Keynes. He got Asda to agree to build a whole stadium for him for free if they could also build a supermarket. The council gave permission with a Section 106 requiring a league team to play at the stadium.

Winkie persuaded the FL appeals committee to allow WFC to be franchised to MK. His property deal was sealed and a free stadium was his.

Sound a bit familiar? SISU want a stadium for a song and are happy to mess the FC around and use the GS/franchise to achieve it.

I've always thought SISU have been using MK Dons as their business model. Todays reports convince me even more.

Where will CCFC end up? The FL in London would consider anywhere in the WM as "the Coventry area" as what would they know? Or maybe SISU have more radical ideas...who knows? The club could end up anywhere or the GS/franchise just sold on to anyone?

Very easy to stir it and start potentially false rumours but what you've posted about CCFC is purely speculation completely without foundation.

If we don't return to the Ricoh on a temporary basis then I anticipate a new stadium will be built within 6 miles of the City centre.

You can believe whatever you like but how far from the City centre is the Ricoh?

Limey

I initially feared this a year or more back. However, I now believe that SISU do not have the minerals to pull off such a manoeuvre. More likely they will continue the demise of CCFC until we have to start up a new club (at the Ricoh).

shmmeee

What's the crack with OP? Goes out of his way to say he's "neutral" which is suspicious enough, but 90% of his posts are about us being a "franchise".

Curious.

Edit: For the sake of clarity, can I explain why this is such a monumentally stupid idea? We are the biggest city without a football team, if someone was going to create a new franchise Coventry is the obvious choice for a location. MK was a special situation as a new town with no history.

Let's say we entertain this idea for a second, where exactly do you think the club would move to? Or are you seriously suggesting that Northampton can support two league sides?

Last edited:

chiefdave

We are the biggest city without a football team, if someone was going to create a new franchise Coventry is the obvious choice for a location. MK was a special situation as a new town with no history.

Let's say we entertain this idea for a second, where exactly do you think the club would move to? Or are you seriously suggesting that Northampton can support two league sides?

This is the biggest reason the franchise idea is nonsense. Look at the most populated areas in the country and work your way down the list until you find somewhere without a professional football team. At one point with Northampton in trouble and ground upgrades on the way at Sixfields I did wonder about some sort of takeover / merger but I highly doubt that would happen.

Grendel

It isn't hard, Wakefield has a bigger population and no league football team. :p

Wakefield has a population of 78,000 - and i think you know that. ;)

Neutral Fan

Guys I'm just a footie supporter who hates the way crap businessmen are damaging the game. Live in Northampton, though Cobblers not my team...watch them sometimes though.

Hate to see CCFC here for the reasons above. And tbh disappointed some Cov fans gave money to Winkie given what I see as similarities with their own team.

Think the Hedge fund is using your club to help secure some cheap real estate. That's it really.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Ay? I checked here http://www.ukcities.co.uk/populations/ and Wikipedia. :) Both put Wakefield above Coventry!

Wakefield is not bigger than Coventry. Wakefield is staunch RL anyway and most football people support Leeds.

The real worry I've always had is some kind of arrangement with Celtic or Rangers to gain access to English football.

However since SISU are so deeply unpopular on a national level now and lost all credibility. This wont happen now.

Nick

Administrator
So you're going to ignore the bit about it being combined for administrative purposes from a number of separate, distinct towns?

Which is, after all, what I said!

Ah stop being correct. I just looked on the right! It is quite late you know! :(

Users who are viewing this thread