Iran (1 Viewer)

Bugsy

apologies if there's a thread on this, if so please remove but can see this turning really messy if it hasn't already, like into a full scale war.

The Islamic Republic of Iran has seen protests before. But not like this.

The authorities are still trying to dismiss and discredit them as “rioters influenced by foreigners.”

It’s hard to square that with extraordinary images of teenage schoolgirls rejecting obligatory headscarves, of women of all ages walking bare-headed in public spaces.
It’s also hard too to see Iran returning to days where so-called morality police can police women’s dress the way they’ve done for decades.
This is now about more, much more, than what women wear.
In the past, major uprisings have fizzled out, or were forcibly suppressed, after months of unrest. But, with every week, this wave seems to strengthen.
The full force of Iran’s security apparatus has yet to be unleashed. The authorities will do whatever it takes to preserve the Islamic Republic.
But Iran’s protesters, especially a new generation of women and men, also seem ready to do whatever it takes to change their lives, and much more.

Last edited:

Bugsy

to add,

Wednesday saw one the biggest nights of protests in Iran since anti-government demonstrations erupted six weeks ago in response to the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini, who died in police custody after being detained for allegedly wearing her hijab improperly

More protests are taking place today, including in the city of Mahabad, a Kurdish city in the north-west, where people are gathering and demonstrating in front of government buildings

One person was killed today and another was shot dead last night, according to the Hengaw Organisation for Human Rights.

The number of reported deaths vary, but Norway-based Iran Human Rights says at least 234 protesters, including 29 children, have been killed by security forces so far.

What we saw in Iran yesterday was unprecedented, BBC Persian has confirmed that there were protests in at least 30 cities.

skybluetony176

What has been amazing to see is men protesting with the women. It’s always amazed me when you meet an Iranian how Iran is so fucked up. Genuinely the nicest people you’ll ever meet and apparently they’re famous for being warm and welcoming people, something called Persian hospitality. Apparently it’s ingrained in their DNA. Baffling.

Sky Blue Pete

What has been amazing to see is men protesting with the women. It’s always amazed me when you meet an Iranian how Iran is so fucked up. Genuinely the nicest people you’ll ever meet and apparently they’re famous for being warm and welcoming people, something called Persian hospitality. Apparently it’s ingrained in their DNA. Baffling.
Absolutely agree

eastwoodsdustman

Until the Islamic revolution it was supposed to be a very secular and easy going country. I recall seeing a programme a couple of years ago about one of the outlying cities and it seemed like any normal place with men and women out enjoying themselves. None of the Strict dress codes or anything.
Religion has a lot to answer for there.

Brighton Sky Blue

My best man is Iranian and every time we go round to his it's a point of pride to be the best host possible and leave nothing unturned. Family lives near the border with Azerbaijan and could apparently sit there watching the missiles go back and forth a few years ago.

fernandopartridge

Until the Islamic revolution it was supposed to be a very secular and easy going country. I recall seeing a programme a couple of years ago about one of the outlying cities and it seemed like any normal place with men and women out enjoying themselves. None of the Strict dress codes or anything.
Religion has a lot to answer for there.
The west drove the Islamic Revolution

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

Apparently the current president was involved in the execution of thousands of political prisoners in the late 80s

Liquid Gold

Fair play to them.

Seen some mad scenes of morality police being chased away by groups of literal school girls.

It does feel like something has come out of the bottle that they won't be able to get back in this time.

Has anybody else seen Persepolis? Good film and really shows the backwards steps taken over there.

clint van damme

They should have got the world Cup then their antics would have been brushed under the carpet.

Brighton Sky Blue

Fair play to them.

Seen some mad scenes of morality police being chased away by groups of literal school girls.

It does feel like something has come out of the bottle that they won't be able to get back in this time.

Has anybody else seen Persepolis? Good film and really shows the backwards steps taken over there.

Mate reckons it's got very similar tones to 1979. Kurds in particular feel repressed by the regime and the killing has caused this to boil over.

shmmeee

Was gonna say this, got an Iranian on my team, lovely guy. Took us to an Iranian restaurant in London and the food was amazing. Talking to him about what happens back home is like listening to some dystopian authoritarian sci fi or something. Tells me even now, after living here for years, he's certain his messages are still being watched.

rob9872

Another war that goes beyond my pea brain level of understanding. Let's hope its not another one that we're dragged into at great expense in both monetary and loss of avoidable life. Sad times.

pipkin73

One of my best friends out here is from there.
He does printing like me.
When i need help he always steps up.
When i was moving i needed a bigger car to move things, he was straight on it.
I offered him some money for his fuel and time and he was so offended.

He said, work-wise i have to charge you (but always so cheap), but as a friend never offer me money for help, that is offensive.
Such a nice man and i've only met his daughter but being brought up so well, and so polite and respectful.
Mind you, don't get on his wrong side (scary) lmfao.

Tea & Busquets

I am Iranian myself, while I dislike the government, I am not sure if new leadership would be so good either. This scenario happened during the time of the Shah and we ended up with worse people in charge. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't. Praying for the best for my people.

shmmeee

I am Iranian myself, while I dislike the government, I am not sure if new leadership would be so good either. This scenario happened during the time of the Shah and we ended up with worse people in charge. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't. Praying for the best for my people.

Not going to westsplain here, but surely you want someone who can take the talents of the Iranian people to a worldwide stage without everyone having to leave?

A free Iran would be absolutely huge geopolitically.

shmmeee

Another war that goes beyond my pea brain level of understanding. Let's hope its not another one that we're dragged into at great expense in both monetary and loss of avoidable life. Sad times.

No war mate. Just protests against the government. Well, there is war cos it’s Iran and they’re always trying to destroy Israel, and they’re involved in Ukraine. But nothing new.

Bugsy

chiefdave

Just seen that the Iranians refused to sing the national anthem in protest off events in Iran. Fair play to them, they’ve probably just made life difficult for themselves and their families back home. Brave of them.
Manger also spoke about it in the press conference. Maybe their families are out there with them and they aren't planning on going back to Iran.

shmmeee

Manger also spoke about it in the press conference. Maybe their families are out there with them and they aren't planning on going back to Iran.

Was talking to my Iranian colleague and his Mum and Dad refuse to leave because it’s all they’ve ever known and regularly get harassed by the “police” or security services. His Dad sounds brave as hell and has been roughed up but generally says it’s part of life in Iran. Which is sad on its own.

Though all his son did was move to Britain, not publicly denounce the regime.

Users who are viewing this thread