Match Thread Ipswich Match Thread (2 Viewers)

wingy

There is no doubt players have been flagging/fatigued, both physically (look at number of recent injuries) and mentally (look like at the regularity of mistakes, sloppy play etc).

I do agree though that Robins hasn’t helped himself with some of his picks, subs etc and he was also talking about tiredness a few weeks ago when players were in better shape than currently
Yet we loan players out?

steve101

Robins has to rotate players and use the bench better. It doesn't make sense to play injured players, risking longer term problems. He will then start players who haven't had a kick for ages. Today he could have used Allen and brought on O'Hare earlier. His refusal to give some minutes to young players is also frustrating. They may not be to the standard yet but youthful endeavour can have a positive impact, rather than see half-hearted laboured performances.

Matt smith

Robins has to rotate players and use the bench better. It doesn't make sense to play injured players, risking longer term problems. He will then start players who haven't had a kick for ages. Today he could have used Allen and brought on O'Hare earlier. His refusal to give some minutes to young players is also frustrating. They may not be to the standard yet but youthful endeavour can have a positive impact, rather than see half-hearted laboured performances.
It’s because he knows most of his bench aren’t at the level

suffolkblue

Watching Ipswich you wouldn’t believe they are a top two team. A decent side, but not in the same category as your Leeds or Southampton.

I thought we might get thumped tonight, so I was pleasantly surprised how well we did in spells, played some really nice stuff.

Eccles again, especially first half , was superb. Sheaf had an off night but I have a feeling he is nowhere near 100% fit so gets a pass. Palmer, oh dear, if he just tries to do the simple stuff, even half of the time when he gets the ball, he’d be brilliant! He’s more frustrating to watch now than Haji, who I thought had another decent game.

The squad is on its arse now, will go up on Saturday and just enjoy the day for what it is. Hopefully Daucsh gets some more game time.
I watch Ipswich every week and can’t believe we’re a top two side either. From August to November we were flying. The football was exceptional and we were beating teams far more convincingly than some score lines would suggest. Since then it’s been mainly a case of results being achieved by hook or by crook. Tonight was a good example of that. We weren’t great and on another day would have drawn or even lost but the fine margins went for us. It’s been one of those once in a lifetime seasons and i genuinely hope you get one because you fans deserve it and it’s about time Cov were back where in my eyes they belong.

We’re not there yet and need a point on Saturday to make sure but it’s now so close that not getting over the line is unthinkable.

I registered on here to congratulate/commiserate after the semi-final a couple of weeks ago. I logged on today for obvious reasons. I doubt I’ll post again for a while so until we next play each other good luck and keep the faith!

messiahrobins

I watch Ipswich every week and can’t believe we’re a top two side either. From August to November we were flying. The football was exceptional and we were beating teams far more convincingly than some score lines would suggest. Since then it’s been mainly a case of results being achieved by hook or by crook. Tonight was a good example of that. We weren’t great and on another day would have drawn or even lost but the fine margins went for us. It’s been one of those once in a lifetime seasons and i genuinely hope you get one because you fans deserve it and it’s about time Cov were back where in my eyes they belong.

We’re not there yet and need a point on Saturday to make sure but it’s now so close that not getting over the line is unthinkable.

I registered on here to congratulate/commiserate after the semi-final a couple of weeks ago. I logged on today for obvious reasons. I doubt I’ll post again for a while so until we next play each other good luck and keep the faith!
Mate, the league table doesnt lie. You have a cracking side there, with a top manager and have been a feel good factor for proper english football fans what you have done. Enjoy it (Huddersfield will not stop you). Hope you do pop in on here next season and give your views on how the PL is as alot of Coventry fans have never experienced it, and older ones like me will remember the 90's when the PL was in its infancy and nothing like the mega business it is now.
Hope you do well in the PL, and personally i think we will see you there the season after next.

messiahrobins

Da Silva has to be moved on, and Latabadieure is a squad player, not first choice. Think we need two new CBS (Thomas is going to be a cracking player but he is still young) and another LB to compete properly with Bidwell.
The defence is an issue, same mistakes every week. Thankfully Robins has acknowledged that and said it is already being addressed.

steve101

Da Silva has to be moved on, and Latabadieure is a squad player, not first choice. Think we need two new CBS (Thomas is going to be a cracking player but he is still young) and another LB to compete properly with Bidwell.
The defence is an issue, same mistakes every week. Thankfully Robins has acknowledged that and said it is already being addressed.
Bidwell is head and shoulders above Dasilva (literally and metaphorically) but I wouldn't be surprised to see Bidwell leave and Dasilva stay. Not sure Robins rates Bidwell as much as most fans do.

messiahrobins

Bidwell is head and shoulders above Dasilva (literally and metaphorically) but I wouldn't be surprised to see Bidwell leave and Dasilva stay. Not sure Robins rates Bidwell as much as most fans do.
that would be a disaster. Da Silva cost us a play off place. He has made the same mistake as tonight at least 5 times this season, probably more. Bidwell is way better than Da Silva, i dont even think Da Silva is championship level, certainly not a top half side championship level player.

SkyblueTexan

Such a porous defence of late. Where have our clean sheets from last season gone? We cannot be conceding 2-3 goals every game.

alexccfc99

Three years left on his deal, unless we keep loaning him out or take a sizable financial hit to pay him off I don't see how we shift him

I really am not one to come on here namechecking players slagging them off but I have been seriously worried by some of his performances this season

alexccfc99

Well we were more competitive in that game than I expected us to be and tbh I do think there was a result in there for us, being far too sloppy and some very questionable defending put a stop to that

Ipswich are very well drilled and you can see why they are soon to be a Premier League outfit and good luck to them, nice to see someone a bit different going up and hopefully they take six points off the cheats they are going up with

Never usually one to wish the season away but I am just glad it is ending on Saturday now, think I’m all club footballed out till August - Only missed Norwich (a) this side of Xmas and it’s been a bit of an effort and hit on the bank account and it does seriously feel like since that Sheffield Wednesday away game in the cup we’ve played every other day

Wembley aside we have been going through the motions since we beat Leeds and have not been good enough, platform is there to build upon and an important summer lies ahead

Robinshio

Well we were more competitive in that game than I expected us to be and tbh I do think there was a result in there for us, being far too sloppy and some very questionable defending put a stop to that

Ipswich are very well drilled and you can see why they are soon to be a Premier League outfit and good luck to them, nice to see someone a bit different going up and hopefully they take six points off the cheats they are going up with

Never usually one to wish the season away but I am just glad it is ending on Saturday now, think I’m all club footballed out till August - Only missed Norwich (a) this side of Xmas and it’s been a bit of an effort and hit on the bank account and it does seriously feel like since that Sheffield Wednesday away game in the cup we’ve played every other day

Wembley aside we have been going through the motions since we beat Leeds and have not been good enough, platform is there to build upon and an important summer lies ahead
we were competitive agreed but the number of individual errors where we gave them the ball well within our own half was unforgiveable - and im not talking about losing a 50/50 - these were direct passes to their players in space
A lot of work (recruitment and coaching) is required in the summer

PVA

Half the players are fucked and the other half are on the beach already because they know they won't be here next season.

Not saying it's right, but it is what it is.

Sky Blue Pete

Palmers main issue is decision making. Tries the wonder pass too often. Looks great the 1 time in 50 it comes off. Unfortunately it looks like dog shit the other 49.
For me it’s his inability to see the damage it does losing the ball and not getting back into shape
Pretty much every attack against us starts from him getting bumped off the ball and staying on the ground for 5 secs
Even if he could produce 5times out of 10 that would be great. 1 time out of 10 puts so much pressure on everyone else

CCFCSteve

For me it’s his inability to see the damage it does losing the ball and not getting back into shape
Pretty much every attack against us starts from him getting bumped off the ball and staying on the ground for 5 secs
Even if he could produce 5times out of 10 that would be great. 1 time out of 10 puts so much pressure on everyone else

Spot on Pete. Not just the being bumped off the ball either, too many flicks/loose passes leave us being caught on the break (I always think Palmer plays like we’re winning 4-0 even when we’re losing or drawing). He’s not the only one with the loose stuff - we get turned over too easily in dangerous areas of the pitch and end up being stretched/caught on the counter way too often. this needs to change if we want to challenge. It’s one thing being brave on the ball and in possession but another gifting the ball back to opposition when we’re exposed

Palmers got plenty of ability and im sure is technically one of our best players but he needs to address this stuff if he wants to get to a higher level/where someone or his ability should be. I hope he can because you only need to look at the quality of the free kick the other week and some of the through balls to see what a player he could be….I’m starting to wonder though

Either way I’d personally be considering Torp as a 10 next season plus get another in

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Probably quite a bit of a turnover at end of season so are we going to say that we need time to gel again? 🤣

Deja vu all over again. You can hear it now, just give it 10 game's 😤

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Have a well earned rest Alex ccfc99. 🤗

David O'Day

The issue with Palmer is there is a player in there but he needs to get his head around the fact it is pay to play a simple pass now and then.

CovLad94

The issue with Palmer is there is a player in there but he needs to get his head around the fact it is pay to play a simple pass now and then.
Exactly this, so many times when there's been an easy option put wide and he thinks he's De Bruyne and tries to split the defence, more often than not, he's a good player just so frustrating, can see why he didn't get on with Nigel Pearson at Bristol probably wasn't allowed the freedom he has here

shmmeee

City fans: why do we pass it pointlessly around taking the easy option and having no penetration??

Also City fans: why does our AM try defence splitting balls and not take the easy pass???

Grendel

City fans: why do we pass it pointlessly around taking the easy option and having no penetration??

Also City fans: why does our AM try defence splitting balls and not take the easy pass???

O hare doesn’t play the ball around pointlessly. Also an AM has to be able to cover a lot of ground during a game

Users who are viewing this thread