Interesting Read - Pressley Speaks (1 Viewer)

BlueElephant

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...es-players-kids-6175519#ICID=sharebar_twitter

But he insisted he left behind a legacy that will benefit the club for years to come, in the form of a group of young players who were given an old-school football upbringing and benefited from it.
He said: “When I left my job in England I had so many young players and their parents phone to thank me for my time.
“I introduced things like jobs around the club. The FA were resistant to it and I got pulled for it on a couple of occasions.
“But my young players would do the balls, the bibs, clean the boots, dressing rooms and cafeterias – all the things I did growing up. If they misbehaved they cleaned the staff’s cars. But that was part of the apprenticeship.
“It wasn’t me trying to be the big man. It was because I wanted my players to understand what it was all about.

Thoughts?

ccfcway

“But my young players would do the balls, the bibs, clean the boots, dressing rooms and cafeterias – all the things I did growing up. If they misbehaved they cleaned the staff’s cars. But that was part of the apprenticeship.

Should have gone the whole way back, make use of the cane and insist to them wearing pants and vest if they forgot their kit

Moff

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...es-players-kids-6175519#ICID=sharebar_twitter

But he insisted he left behind a legacy that will benefit the club for years to come, in the form of a group of young players who were given an old-school football upbringing and benefited from it.
He said: “When I left my job in England I had so many young players and their parents phone to thank me for my time.
“I introduced things like jobs around the club. The FA were resistant to it and I got pulled for it on a couple of occasions.
“It wasn’t me trying to be the big man. It was because I wanted my players to understand what it was all about.

Thoughts?

Thoughts ..... might keep the young players more grounded and in touch with reality?

Also seems a better idea than paying a youth team player a few grand a week like in the late 90's under the stewardship of Richardson and Strachan, when Richard Spong the Swedish lad earned a good wage whilst never going on to play a first team game. No wonder our financial woes started during this era.

fernandopartridge

Thoughts?

I have no problem with Pressley, feel that he's a good bloke. Some of the vitriol he gets on here is ridiculous. Good luck to him.

BlueElephant

I have no problem with Pressley, feel that he's a good bloke. Some of the vitriol he gets on here is ridiculous. Good luck to him.

Totally agreed. The circumstances he had to work in were far from ideal to say the least. In the end he paid the price for some very mediocre signings but all credit for the commitment he gave for the two years.

bringbackrattles

Ditto he did his best with what he was given and he comes across like you say as a decent bloke. I like Mowbray as well as he's a proper football man,but who's to say he won't get stick too if he fails to deliver ?

LB87ccfc

Thoughts?

Too many younger footballers getting contracts in football on thousands per week and it goes to their head instantly when all they are is development players, sounds like he did the right thing to be honest, it might of looked upon as harsh but previous players in the 90s had to do it so why not.

steveecov

Ditto he did his best with what he was given and he comes across like you say as a decent bloke. I like Mowbray as well as he's a proper football man,but who's to say he won't get stick too if he fails to deliver ?

And if he goes, then what do we do? After Mowbray and his experience; if the 2 year plan does not happen, feel we really are up the creek.

Quite right that the apprentices should be helping out with all the mundane jobs around the football club. Helps to keep them grounded. Regularly noticed that they used to collect the balls up after the pre-match warm up (often Ryan Haynes!) Pressley had plenty of good ideas but never sorted the defence and midfield out and fell on his sword due to the poor performance of his summer signings last year. No wonder Mowbray isn't rushing in - lessons learnt maybe.

skybluebeduff

Just sums up that he was an even more of a control freak than first thought.

After all, Pressley was a wanker behind the scenes, just ask Chupa...

pressley-akpom.jpg

:jerkit:

Joy Division

Just sums up that he was an even more of a control freak than first thought.

After all, Pressley was a wanker behind the scenes, just ask Chupa...

pressley-akpom.jpg

:jerkit:

I'd hazard a guess that SP is pointing at somebody beyond Akpom there

Hobo

He's also now scouting at Southampton. Do they want to be relegated or something?

Perhaps because he wasn't scouting here was part of the problem. Once he said the scouting system was no good and he had made amendments Pennington and Samuel came in, coincidence?

But just to repeatedly slag Pressley off about everyone and everything he touched is such an easy option on here isn't it?.

bringbackrattles

And if he goes, then what do we do? After Mowbray and his experience; if the 2 year plan does not happen, feel we really are up the creek.
I honestly can't see any other manager being successful here if Mowbray fails.He has experience and has done well at clubs so if he cocks up like you say we could be up the creek !

Shake_and_McPake

Facebook User
To be fair he was doing whatever he wanted on the pitch as if he was on the training ground or something

Christ, it was almost like he was a 17 year old kid or something. Oh, wait, he was a 17 year old kid. Who never played in a 2 man strike partnership, and also was going from Cov to London 3/4 times a week.

Anyway yelling at Akpom is pointless, the whole team was shite. No need to give him that sort of bollocking on the side of the pitch. Wanker.

Clive Bleakin

Surely that is par for the course for any manager. If you don't deliver results you pay the price with your job?

There are only 92 league jobs so there is always someone willing to step in.

The fact is that one day Mowbray will leave - either because he is poached (like Robins), or told to leave because of poor results (like Pressley)

Shake_and_McPake

Facebook User
Perhaps because he wasn't scouting here was part of the problem. Once he said the scouting system was no good and he had made amendments Pennington and Samuel came in, coincidence?

But just to repeatedly slag Pressley off about everyone and everything he touched is such an easy option on here isn't it?.

Sorry for the double post, but yes it was an absolute coincidence.

Let's not forget such CCFC legends who gave it all for the shirt such as Hines, Madine, Coulibaly, McQuoid and Miller. Give me a break, he was crap. At everything.

Managing he was clueless as anything, copied 5-3-2 after "Watching Holland at the world cup", then dropped it as we played crap and there weren't the players available and yet Swindon played it to perfection. Ridiculous.

Coaching, never seen so many players regress under one manager after half a good season where we could score goals. Haynes went from looking like a very good prospect to somebody who had lost all ability and faith in himself and is yet to recover, Thomas became even worse and anyone could see Finch wasn't ready and he threw him in time and time again. Clueless.

Scouting was an absolute joke! Not even half his signings were actually bloody good, one fluke signing had about 5 awful ones before it. And all well and good saying Pennington was good, he didn't even play him in a consistent position when he was here!

The man is horrific on every level and there's no way he should waltz back into a job, the amount of low points we suffered with him was outrageous. Even with all the SISU stuff on the pitch it just got worse and worse. The team is naff granted but it isn't that naff.

skybluegod

Let's not forget such CCFC legends who gave it all for the shirt such as Hines, Madine, Coulibaly, McQuoid and Miller. Give me a break, he was crap. At everything.

Managing he was clueless as anything, copied 5-3-2 after "Watching Holland at the world cup", then dropped it as we played crap and there weren't the players available and yet Swindon played it to perfection. Ridiculous.

Coaching, never seen so many players regress under one manager after half a good season where we could score goals. Haynes went from looking like a very good prospect to somebody who had lost all ability and faith in himself and is yet to recover, Thomas became even worse and anyone could see Finch wasn't ready and he threw him in time and time again. Clueless.

Scouting was an absolute joke! Not even half his signings were actually bloody good, one fluke signing had about 5 awful ones before it. And all well and good saying Pennington was good, he didn't even play him in a consistent position when he was here!

The man is horrific on every level and there's no way he should waltz back into a job, the amount of low points we suffered with him was outrageous. Even with all the SISU stuff on the pitch it just got worse and worse. The team is naff granted but it isn't that naff.

I think your judgement is very clouded, and you have a personal vendetta against SP, but I won't waste my time with a response on such a nice day. :)

Shake_and_McPake

Facebook User
I think your judgement is very clouded, and you have a personal vendetta against SP, but I won't waste my time with a response on such a nice day. :)

You're right, I do have a vendetta against him. Not because he's a horrible person, not because he's been a dick to me. My vendetta with him is the same as my one with SISU. He's had a HUGE part in irreversibly fucking my football club up, and he can shove it. Our budget is at least better than 12 teams in our league and he let us slip into the relegation zone with no hope. Am I supposed to just thank him for his years of terrific management?

Hobo

SW was careful to Pressley always had the final say, but was that the final say on the poor pool of players offered him? I think a lot of the loans from Bournemouth were negotiated on the back of the the Wilson deal, not convinced Pressley was clamouring for them.

People like Manset and Slager didn't last long did they? Are you sure once he had the chance to assess them himself, he was just brave enough to say they haven't got it?

Glad you brought formation up. People on here kept banging on about 4-4-2....remind what formations has Mowbrey put out?

Like a lot of our recent mangers he had the better players shipped out from under his feet. Baker went because he kept posting things on social media and taking it down (I am not entirely convinced it was completely a Pressley decision).

He was still raw as a Manager, they wouldn't pay for the Assitant Manager he really wanted. But he came here with a desire to get the club back where he believed it should. He had a genuine respect for Coventry City FC, I respect him for that and not the worst manager we have had and I am not afraid to say it.

Ashdown

I wouldn't say his part is irreversible but the part that the owners have played is as we have lost the stadium. It's history now but lets be honest I can still hear 'Walking in a Pressley wonderland' from the masses at the Gillingham game ringing in my ears. CCFC fans in particular demand results after all the mediocrity and if this years team { which today looks weaker than last years } is bottom 4 come October then the knives will be out for Mowbray just the same.

lifeskyblue

SW was careful to Pressley always had the final say, but was that the final say on the poor pool of players offered him? I think a lot of the loans from Bournemouth were negotiated on the back of the the Wilson deal, not convinced Pressley was clamouring for them.

People like Manset and Slager didn't last long did they? Are you sure once he had the chance to assess them himself, he was just brave enough to say they haven't got it?

Glad you brought formation up. People on here kept banging on about 4-4-2....remind what formations has Mowbrey put out?

Like a lot of our recent mangers he had the better players shipped out from under his feet. Baker went because he kept posting things on social media and taking it down (I am not entirely convinced it was completely a Pressley decision).

He was still raw as a Manager, they wouldn't pay for the Assitant Manager he really wanted. But he came here with a desire to get the club back where he believed it should. He had a genuine respect for Coventry City FC, I respect him for that and not the worst manager we have had and I am not afraid to say it.

I agree with a lot of this. No manager here can really bring in the players they want. We might get lucky with a few loans but any decent player is soon sold on. I do think TM will do better than SP but only because of his experience. No matter where we are after 10 games we must get behind the team and get behind the manager...if TM fails who will we attract that is likely to be better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eastwoodsdustman

Did some very good things but also managed to alienate some of the first team to the point that it did appear that he'd lost the dressing room. I think that its right that youth players should be doing the menial jobs as part of their trade. If all clubs did it we might see some more grounded players instead of the current crop of young pricks around the country.
As for the FA picking up on his ideas? I wonder if someone bleated to them or they picked it up on an inspection.

SkyBlue_Bear83

[h=2]Former Sky Blues boss says he installed a winning mentality in the younger players in the manner of Sir Alex Ferguson[/h]

I'm in tears of laughter at this headline

Nick

Administrator
Don't most teams have the youth teamers working and doing things like ball boy, cleaning other players boots etc?

Users who are viewing this thread