Instant success the Brentford Way. (1 Viewer)

Fergusons_Beard

So for all those impatient fans who demand instant success, shit the bed at the slightest loss and call for the head of the manager and owner if we haven’t signed a player for 50m.

Let’s stop and actually think about why Doug and Mark’s 5 year plan is well thought out and why they are following a well worn path trodden by Brentford.

Brentford came up from the championship in 2014 and finished that season 5th but lost out in the playoffs.

They then spent the next 6 seasons building a squad gradually, built to be able to dominate the Championship but crucially to be able to stay up in the Premiership once they got there.

They finished-
15/16 9th
16/17 10th
17/18 9th
18/19 11th
19/20 3rd Lost in the playoffs
20/21 3rd Went up in the playoffs.

They have stayed up comfortably ever since and look to be heading for the same this season making it 3 years in a row in the Premier League.

In those 6 years striving to achieve promotion the likes of Leeds, Sheff Utd, Middlesbrough, Norwich, Watford and West Brom have all yo-yo’d between the two leagues never staying up for longer than 2 seasons.

If you talk to Burnley and Sheff Utd fans they are hating the premier league this season-because they just haven’t been competitive-losing most weeks just isn’t a good watch!

Burnley spent 150m and could go bottom if they lose away to Sheff Utd (who only spent 30m)on Satdee.

So let’s not ask for the managers head if we finish 8th this season-let’s believe in the process and build a squad year by year that can become competitive in the top division.

Let’s enjoy being great in this division first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mmttww

Great post. DK's plan is basically plotting the same course. Be competitive consistently, then it's up to the squad to take their chance when it's there. Develop them as a group so if we get promoted, they're more Luton and less Burnley or ideally, more Brentford and less Sheff Utd.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Nobody worth listening to is actually calling for Robins to be sacked, surely? I love the progress we have made, particularly over the last summer. We now have a squad of players that we own and that contains several we can realistically make decent money on to build further with.

Having grown up predominantly watching them post-relegation from the Prem i think the biggest positive is the fact they're actually enjoyable to watch right now. I'd probably settle for that even with promotion if i had to, those years slowly sliding down the leagues were fucking grim.

CBS16

Also, the Championship is absolutely class and I'd never ever take it for granted or as a bad thing to be here. Obviously you try to get up asap, but if we have 4 or 5 more seasons here competing in and around it then go up and stay there, we're in for some great times and should easily maintain the brilliant attendances and continue to produce the exciting moments we've had since coming up. Loving being a cov fan these days, I used to sometimes resent it 😂

Hertsccfc

Genuine question. Has anyone been saying Robins should be sacked? I haven't even seen a taxi or Kenny Jacket thread.

Johhny Blue

I love the campionship. 90% of the games are competitive and exciting to watch. Sure I’d like to see promotion when the time is right but if you believe we have a bunch of bedwetters now be careful what you wish for.

tisza

Foundations are firmly in place. Keep this squad together with a few tweaks.
It's been a season of "ifs and buts".
Lost too much time / too many points in first half of the season - didn't get going until end of November.
Maybe a bit too much rotation at times - only a couple of players have actually made more than 30 starts.
But club feels far more stable, attendances are decent, scouting/recruitment generally strong so in a decent position to carry on moving forwards.

Still a tough division - Ipswich's outstanding efforts aside - money still talks with 3 out of top 4 being relegated teams and yet again that seems to equal the 20 odd PTS that separate the top few from the pack.

Briles

I think Peterborough are on their way with that model as well

Hertsccfc

So for all those impatient fans who demand instant success, shit the bed at the slightest loss and call for the head of the manager and owner if we haven’t signed a player for 50m.

Let’s stop and actually think about why Doug and Mark’s 5 year plan is well thought out and why they are following a well worn path trodden by Brentford.

Brentford came up from the championship in 2014 and finished that season 5th but lost out in the playoffs.

They then spent the next 6 seasons building a squad gradually, built to be able to dominate the Championship but crucially to be able to stay up in the Premiership once they got there.

They finished-
15/16 9th
16/17 10th
17/18 9th
18/19 11th
19/20 3rd Lost in the playoffs
20/21 3rd Went up in the playoffs.

They have stayed up comfortably ever since and look to be heading for the same this season making it 3 years in a row in the Premier League.

In those 6 years striving to achieve promotion the likes of Leeds, Sheff Utd, Middlesbrough, Norwich, Watford and West Brom have all yo-yo’d between the two leagues never staying up for longer than 2 seasons.

If you talk to Burnley and Sheff Utd fans they are hating the premier league this season-because they just haven’t been competitive-losing most weeks just isn’t a good watch!

Burnley spent 150m and could go bottom if they lose away to Sheff Utd (who only spent 30m)on Satdee.

So let’s not ask for the managers head if we finish 8th this season-let’s believe in the process and build a squad year by year that can become competitive in the top division.

Let’s enjoy being great in this division first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I haven’t seen any serious poster on here suggest we should get rid of Robins or King. I also haven’t seen anyone complain that we aren't signing players at £50million or demand instant success.

The approach Brentford and some other teams have taken is a sensible one. However, it's simplistic to say that blindly following the model alone will inevitably result in promotion and then staying in the Premier League. There is rather more to it than that I am afraid and if it were that easy don't you think every team would do it with equal success.

Most of the teams like Brighton and Bournemouth that have used this approach have also been backed by generous owners. Also it only works if you recruit well and have the right manager and coaches to develop the players you sign. Signing players on long contracts is not without risks.

We are lucky that we have a great manager and probably at least equally important is Vivash's ability in developing the talent that we buy. But if we were to lose Robins and Vivash we could end up with players on long contracts who may not be much use to us.

While the model is good being flexible and pragmatic is more likely to lead to success than sticking slavishly to one approach.

It appeared to me from Robins ' interviews in January/February time that he thought we needed more depth in the squad. I think he's been proved right. As we failed to secure Mason-Clark for this season it would have made sense to have had a contingency. The most obvious thing was to utilise the loan market. This wouldn't mean renouncing the sacred model. Believe it or not even Brentford did this when needed.

No one is suggesting it's a great idea to pack the side with loans but it makes sense if you identify the right ones (like we did with Walsh, Gyokeres, O'Hare, Sheaf etc) to take advantage of the extra quality these players bring. If Ipswich get automatic promotion I don't think they will regret their diversion from the model.

So whilst I do think we are following the right approach generally, we should not neglect the value of the loan market when necessary. And more importantly keeping hold of Robins and Vivash is key to success.

Users who are viewing this thread