Transfer Rumour Incoming - Waghorn Confirmed (1 Viewer)

Happy_Martian

Yakubu was older wasnt he and not coming off playing in same league we would be asking him to play?

Also does it really need to keep being said? Mark robins is no Russel slade. Have faith

Surprisingly, Yak was only 34 when he was with us and came in from a Turkish top flight team. Waghorn is 31 1/2. But agreed, the styles of play may suit Waggers a lot more than previously. So I'll decide at the end of the season, not before a ball has been kicked.

fatso

Probably the best signing for a team with no pot to piss in.
His experience will be very helpful with the fitness concerns over Godden and Walker.
I'm worried we lack any pace, but hopefully Jones will give us that (till his knees melt)

shmmeee

So you wouldn't take Gyokeres? Thought you wanted signings to excite you. Seems you want a team full of unproven kids

Id have taken him over Waghorn. I just think we’ve got a few who might do something given a chance at the moment so would be happy to leave the space for kids.

CDK

Great signing an up on quality on max and Baka and will kill the feeling we are not doing signings this pre season .trust the methods in place at our club .keep em coming ROBINS.

Grendel

Ouch! can't agree. hes the Biamou replacement. Will need to come on as sub and hit the ground running with goals to stay in the side. he's 3rd choice or a good option against big teams. Godden will be main striker.

waghorn will start as first choice

robbiekeane

literally going by youtube videos which i know could probably make anyone look good, but he looks decent. He looks better than than Baka and Biamou and to be fair, probably better than Godden too.

He looks like a bit of a unit as well for his height, lots of energy and getting stuck in. Interested to see how we line up this season - definitely think Waghorn will be first or second choice

SkyBlueMatt

Surprisingly, Yak was only 34 when he was with us and came in from a Turkish top flight team. Waghorn is 31 1/2. But agreed, the styles of play may suit Waggers a lot more than previously. So I'll decide at the end of the season, not before a ball has been kicked.
If rumours are to be believed I would hazard a guess that he possibly, could maybe, have been older than his birth certificate suggested.

Yakubu in his prime was a much much better footballer but I don't think you can compare them whilst they were coventry players.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

mark82

Id have taken him over Waghorn. I just think we’ve got a few who might do something given a chance at the moment so would be happy to leave the space for kids.

I'm not sure it rules that out. We're 3 strikers down on last season. Another wouldn't surprise me.

Samo

Given where we are as a club and that it's Championship stability we are looking for at this point... great signing. (y)

Londonccfcfan

Someone sell this guy to me. I’m not seeing it.

How’s he going to fit into the side?

If you believe the Derby fans he’ll be our highest paid player. Seems overkill for a third choice striker.

Who says he's third choice??

He's first choice all day long imo.

That doesn't mean...Godden and Walker won't get a look in. All 3 will all get plenty of game time.

Still need a 4th choice.

Samo

Who says he's third choice??

He's first choice all day long imo.

That doesn't mean...Godden and Walker won't get a look in. All 3 will all get plenty of game time.

Still need a 4th choice.

Think 4th choice will be a young unproven, or they are already here.

Samo

Depends if we play 1 or 2.

1 up top and we've got 3 starters then Tavares can come in if needed.
2 then we need another proper player in.

We can't afford 'proper' players throughout the squad, there has to be some gambles/prospects

rob9872

Decent signing. Won't be splashing those wages to warm the bench, Walker still young and signed this level so wouldn't be surprised to see Godden on his way if we get the right offer. I know we're light up top but can't see him being happy going from main man to third option.

Liquid Gold

We can't afford 'proper' players throughout the squad, there has to be some gambles/prospects
Yeah but there are different levels of prospects. an 18 year old from Ireland with no senior appearances would be different to a 22 year old who has scored loads in league two.

junglej13

Believe he played on the right of a front three quite a bit at Derby. Strikes me as quite similar to Gyökeres.

steve cooper

He was certainly a good player at Leicester don’t know much about at derby but he’s experienced strong and as good as we will get I think
Yes, we are not in a position to sign the likes of Toney, Pukki, etc. Some people need to realise this. Waghorn is as good as we are going to get unless we are lucky enough to unearth a tremendous prospect from somewhere, which we can still do anyway. Waghorne, Walker, Godden are a massive upgrade on last season IMO, especially if they can all get / stay fit.

Frostie

Decent signing for me.
Good experience & pedigree at this level. Strong, decent left foot, good set piece taker & excellent work rate. Maybe not as prolific as he could have been but a good portion of his games have been from the wing.

I think a lot of people expect/hope for a ready made prolific striker & will forever be disappointed. The whole "20 goal a season" striker is a complete fallacy anyway, goals need to be shared around & I'm confident Waghorn will get more than his fair share.

Frostie

Yeah but there are different levels of prospects. an 18 year old from Ireland with no senior appearances would be different to a 22 year old who has scored loads in league two.

How much would a prolific 22yr old League 2 striker cost though?

Last time I can remember a Championship club signing a similar player was Bristol City spunking a million quid on Mo Eisa (24) or Wigan signing Omar Bogle (23) which were both a disaster & they ended up dropping to League One & struggling there too. Big losses made on both players.
Last successful one was probably Ollie Watkins but he cost £6.5m.
It's not as easy as you think, English market is massively overinflated.

Terry Gibson's perm

Decent signing for me.
Good experience & pedigree at this level. Strong, decent left foot, good set piece taker & excellent work rate. Maybe not as prolific as he could have been but a good portion of his games have been from the wing.

I think a lot of people expect/hope for a ready made prolific striker & will forever be disappointed. The whole "20 goal a season" striker is a complete fallacy anyway, goals need to be shared around & I'm confident Waghorn will get more than his fair share.

A twenty goal a season man at this level would be well beyond our price range, the Derby fans that are slagging him off we do the same when players leave us apart from The Biamou fan club.

Users who are viewing this thread