Improving year on year (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

We've improved our league position year on year for 6 seasons under Robins, has any other team had such a good run?

I'd imagine Luton probably have, can't think of anyone else off hand.

bigfatronssba

Bournemouth under Howe?

clint van damme

Was thinking more of teams who are currently on the run and have matched or bettered ours.

Grendel

Brentford probably

bigfatronssba

Doesn’t look like Brentford have done it IMG_1295.jpeg

hamertime

We've improved our league position year on year for 6 seasons under Robins, has any other team had such a good run?

Not anyone over that length of time. Brighton did pretty well, look where they are know must have a lovely bank balance. It can be done just need to keep the faith with Robins.

Grendel

Not anyone over that length of time. Brighton did pretty well, look where they are know must have a lovely bank balance. It can be done just need to keep the faith with Robins.

I think Luton have improved league position 8 seasons running - this will be the 9th season as it’s a higher league

bigfatronssba

Actually just looked, and we have ourselves.
Between 1962 -1970 we improved every year

SeaSeeEffCee

A lot of new players will take time to gel, plus as things stand we’re still very light. I think we’ll finish top 8 but I think 4th or higher will be a big ask, especially with the quality of some of the other sides in this league.

TomRad85

A lot of new players will take time to gel, plus as things stand we’re still very light. I think we’ll finish top 8 but I think 4th or higher will be a big ask, especially with the quality of some of the other sides in this league.
We could finish lower and still go up tbf.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Brylowes

Year on year progression over a 6 year period would be a fantastic achievement under any circumstances, but when you consider the constraints he’s been operating under, Wasps as landlords, club being exiled from the city, lowest budget in league, shit pitch, years of background noise caused by endless court proceedings etc etc, you would have to conclude the job Mark Robins has performed here is nothing short of remarkable.
Long may it continue !!!

theferret

The quality of the league is overplayed by our fans every season. It’s no stronger than last year

The quality of the league does shift season to season, and last year it was at its weakest for some time. A team making the playoffs with 69 points, pretty rare that. Some seasons teams in 8th finish on 78 points.

The low points tallies last season doesn't itself point to lower quality of course, but I think the league is stronger overall this season. Only one relegated team being promoted last season means you have 5 clubs on very big budgets and a lot of clubs seem to have strengthened - Blues, Hull, Stoke for example. I think it's tougher.

NorthernWisdom

The low points tallies last season doesn't itself point to lower quality of course
Yeah often it's because a load of sides are similar quality to one another so take points off each other. Could argue if the teams that have strengthened join that group, it'll be even more bunched!

In reality, four or five teams tend to stretch away on form. There's usually at least one play-off place available to sneak into however.

Brylowes

I think it’s unlikely we better last seasons position this year unfortunately.
Disagree with this, I’ve been saying for a few years now that we’re a much better side than most on here think we are, probably because they watch us every week with a critical eye and over analyse every mistake.
When I watch the other decent teams in this league, I honestly don’t see anything that should worry us to much.
Yes we’ve lost 2 good players but I think we’ve invested wisely ‘with more to come in’ we achieved what we did last season despite a clutch of long term injuries and hardly any choice of backup players.
The squad looks a lot healthier and more robust this season and that strength in depth over the season could easily be worth an extra 10 to 15 points.

Users who are viewing this thread