Importance of Formations? (1 Viewer)

Hateley's Heed

During Euro 2012 we were able to view different style's of system's / formations to winning a game of football. Spain with their no natural CF formation, England's rigid 4-4-2 and Italy flexing between variations of 3-5-2 and 4-1-3-2.

Should a system be decided on the style/strengths of the players at the disposal off the coach or should the coach decide on his preferred system and 'coach' or 'recruit' the players to fit his system?

If you have good players does it really matter?

pusbccfc

Yeah it does.
With England against Italy our midfield was outnumbered.
4-4-2 struggles these days as only 2 play in the centre.

5-3-2 doesn't work really either as the defenders getting forward can make it almost 3-5-2.

4-1-2-1-2 is what we've being playing and can work well for a passing team but lacks width.

dojer

I think the playing philosophy matters most. You can have your players anywhere on the pitch but if they know exactly what they're need to do to make the system work that's the difference. Formations in themselves aren't good or bad on their own it depends on how they're used, in terms of both the team using the tactic and the opponent.

Compare England's 4-4-2 at the Euros and Arrigo Sacchi's Milan's 4-4-2. Sacchi made his team play compact, so did Hodgson but Sacchi wanted his team to be close together and far up the pitch to press the opposition, Hodgson wanted England to stay compact to restrict the space for the opposition. Sacchi isn't working for a club/national team now because his system became outdated and his Milan team were great thanks to great players elevating his system. You do need to adapt the tactics of your team from time to time and the way they attack and defend but it's the thinking behind it and your own playing style that should dictate tactics rather than what the opposition will do.

There's also the fact that results tend to decide what formation is in vogue rather than actual aesthetics. Chelsea won the Champions League so quite a few teams tried to shut up shop and sit back at the Euros hoping for a counter-attack or a set-piece. Now that Spain have won another title sides will try harder to improve their pressing or possession, especially as Italy were also so good in possession. Think back to the Spain-Croatia game, Spain almost conceded on the counter during the second half which would have knocked them out at the group stages, you wonder how much that Casillas save is going to affect the next couple of seasons in football.

rob9872

At international level and in the PL you need to be more adaptable but at our league level being organised can take you a long way with the addition of a quality striker required to take you onto the next level and fire you out of the league.

ccfcway

the way i look at it is...

if you have everyone back at corners, there is no outlet when you clear it, and it keeps coming back

if you keep hoofing the ball up to a little bloke, when 2 big blokes are next to him, he aint gonna win a header

if you spend 2 mins keeping the ball, then pass back to your keeper, who hoofs it up the field, you have just wasted 2 minutes

thats me

pw362

England had every player back defending corners. Roy wouldn't get away with that at the Ricoh.

Nick

Administrator
Of course formation and tactics are important as well as the need to be able to adjust.

Each manager will have his style, if he has the option to recruit players then of course he will get players who fit into his style. If he doesn't then he should play to the strengths of the players he does have rather than try to get them to play a style they aren't suited for.

@richh87

I'd like to see us carry on with the passing football - but play 5 in midfield and one up front in a variation of the diamond. I loved our passing play last season - but thought the lack of options on the deck meant we had to go back to Murphy too often. Also, the midfielders were nowhere near penetrative enough - which is why I'm glad Fleck has been brought in as he's someone who wants to run at teams.

I'd say teams should be as flexible as possible - so that they can alter during the game v different opposition.

Astute

If we attack in Div3 we will be able to keep our opponents on the back foot most of the game. We will still need to put the ball in the back of the net though.

C

Clive Plattini

4-2-3-1 is a good formation, and used to great effect by the Germans until Low got scared of Pirlo. The guy at the centre of the 3 is like an advanced playmaker, a good spot for Fleck perhaps? The 2 are holding midfielders who break down play and pass it short to the 3 in front of them.

Diehard Si

4-2-3-1 is a good formation, and used to great effect by the Germans until Low got scared of Pirlo. The guy at the centre of the 3 is like an advanced playmaker, a good spot for Fleck perhaps? The 2 are holding midfielders who break down play and pass it short to the 3 in front of them.
Yes! I've got a bit of a thing for this formation.

2 deep midfielders to snuff out danger. One as a playmaker the other as a battler. Then an inter-changeable front 4.

We have the players to make this work and I really hope we do this formation.

covcity4life

yes it matters big time!

italy used de rossi as a CB/DM/Sweeper amalgamation in group game vs spain and rew 1-1 in a fantastic match

in final pirlo was only DMC and got overran

my fear is that thorn doesnt tinker much with our formations

Astute

yes it matters big time!

italy used de rossi as a CB/DM/Sweeper amalgamation in group game vs spain and rew 1-1 in a fantastic match

in final pirlo was only DMC and got overran

my fear is that thorn doesnt tinker much with our formations

Last season we didn't have the players to change things much. Platt can only play 1 way. AT has brought in the players he wants for this season. Now we will see what he can do.

Sky Blue Sheepy

I think any formation will work, if moves on the pitch (and the players) compliment it. For example, if you're playing pass and move football - neat little triangles etc then flat 4-4-2 wouldn't be as effective as the diamond. If you've got bulky players upfront and are playing hoofball, then having 1-upfront and 5 in the middle may not work as well in attack as the midfield are bypassed. Its more complex than that I guess, but the formation should suit the style

Users who are viewing this thread