I'm quite excited.... (1 Viewer)

Esoterica

Fuck sake...this place is like a morgue!!

I'm 100% on board that everything that's happening (or not) off the field, our relegation, our demise in the past 10 years etc etc all give you reasons to be pessimistic.

BUT....the reason for my optimism is Mark Robins. I've had a complete 360 on the guy after he left us last time. There's just something about him being here that I think is a massive difference on all the other managers we've had, since Micky Adams really. I wasn't excited by any that came in the door since then (although I thought Slade would be better for us)...not even Robins first time round. But seeing what he did first time round and the fact that our season ended better than it started, then I'm buzzing for next season in L2. Excuse the insect word but nows the time to contemplate an attempt to bounce back first time round...hopefully playing good football.

Yes, we might lose players...but every club does. And to be fair, weren't we supposed to lose RCC, Willis and Stevenson in January??

The suns out chaps, get a smile on your face and back the man Robins to deliver the good. F&$k everything else. I can't wait for the season to start already.

WM

* If we have a stinker next season, feel free to drag this one up and say I told you so.
You are Tim Fisher's dream customer.

Great_Expectations

Genuine question - those questioning the possibility of optimism - did you watch many games last season?

If you did, you would see there is a clear reason to be optimistic in MR. With an inherited squad- the same squad who ultimately relegated us - he produced encouraging performances and good results. With a full pre season and time to recruit and plan a strategy, why wouldn't we have some optimism and hope in MR?

I accept we are at our lowest point, but we have a good L2 manager, on paper we are one of the biggest team in L2 (I accept it's subjective depending on how you measure "big") and have been told (pinch of salt) we will have a top half budget.

I'm sure we all felt pretty low two summers ago - we'd just avoided relegation from L1 - yet the first half of the following season was one of the most exciting I've ever seen as a fan.

It's a new season, let's approach it with some level of hope, otherwise, what's the point.

skyblueeyesrevisited

Genuine question - those questioning the possibility of optimism - did you watch many games last season?

If you did, you would see there is a clear reason to be optimistic in MR. With an inherited squad- the same squad who ultimately relegated us - he produced encouraging performances and good results. With a full pre season and time to recruit and plan a strategy, why wouldn't we have some optimism and hope in MR?

I accept we are at our lowest point, but we have a good L2 manager, on paper we are one of the biggest team in L2 (I accept it's subjective depending on how you measure "big") and have been told (pinch of salt) we will have a top half budget.

I'm sure we all felt pretty low two summers ago - we'd just avoided relegation from L1 - yet the first half of the following season was one of the most exciting I've ever seen as a fan.

It's a new season, let's approach it with some level of hope, otherwise, what's the point.
Well Expectations, or may I call you Great, I totally agree with your sentiments. Let's have faith in MR and get behind the team, who ever they may be.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I had the same optimism when we were relegated from the Premership and to a lesser degree we were relegated from the Championship. Now I don't see what great talent we have to get back at the first attempt over the other clubs in League 2 which have been trying to get out for years. To underestimate them because we are a "big named club" is just plain wrong. If we were to play Portsmouth , Plymouth and Doncaster in some round robin competition right now we'd struggle to beat any of them.

Last edited:

Covstu

We also looked like we gave up when we got relegated..... I hope we can make a stab at winning the league but we have been let down so many times already. There are some massive failures in the team last season so let's hope he has the scope to make this happen

NorthernWisdom

If we can keep hold of Robins, I reckon we will go up.
Worryingly, I agree.

Years of failure allow me to be prepared to be disappointed, mind... but I'm confident we'll make a decent stab of it.

Just hope if we haven't had a great start after half a dozen games, neither the club nor the fans panic, and allow Robins the time to sort it out. I actually have more faith in him as manager than any we've appointed since pre-Coleman.

Adge

Are they? Or is it a case of out with the old (on higher wages) and in with the new (on less money)? Whatever it is Robins is certainly making the most of it.

Last edited:

Hugh Jarse

I don't think the difficulty in getting out of that division should be underestimated - Doncaster are an exception not the rule in bouncing back in one season (Scunthorpe another). Early days and lets give Robins a chance to assemble a squad first

Relegated from L1 in last 4 seasons and league 2 position 2016/17
2015/16
Doncaster - promoted 2016/17
Blackpool - playoffs 2016/17
Colchester 8th
Crewe 17th
2014/15
Notts County 16th
Crawley 19th
Leyton Orient - relegated from the EFL
Yeovil Town 20th
2013/14
Tranmere - non league
Carlisle - playoffs 2016/17
Shrewsbury- promoted 2015/16 finished 18th in L1
Stevenage 10th
2012/13
Scunthorpe - promoted 2013/14 finished 3rd in L1
Bury - promoted 2014/15 finished 19th L1
Hartlepool - relegated from EFL
Portsmouth - League 2 Champions

and afterall we are talking about CCFC aren't we .............. never do the expected or things easily...................[/QUOTE

This CCFC we are talking about. I think everyone here has been taking some Columbian marching powder.

wingy

Worryingly, I agree.

Years of failure allow me to be prepared to be disappointed, mind... but I'm confident we'll make a decent stab of it.

Just hope if we haven't had a great start after half a dozen games, neither the club nor the fans panic, and allow Robins the time to sort it out. I actually have more faith in him as manager than any we've appointed since pre-Coleman.
Have to agree.
It's the history that makes us fear.

Users who are viewing this thread