I'll say it (1 Viewer)

Warwickhunt

All it takes is for every player to concentrate for the entire game and we will win! How many games have we lost due to our players errors rather than good football moves which carved us open?

Reactions: vow

Nick

Administrator
The thing is, were there really actually 19 chances on goal?

Aside from Bakas 2, the goal, Sterling, Shipley's at the keeper was there actually that many that didnt get blocked before they even got in the box.

NorthernWisdom

Aside from Bakas 2, the goal, Sterling, Shipley's at the keeper was there actually that many that didnt get blocked before they even got in the box.
There were plenty that got blocked by a defender, often because the player wanted one extra touch to get off the perfect shot. That's partly confidence, partly technique, partly... lower league.

NorthernWisdom

I really don't get all this 'if he doesn't mount a promotion challenge next season he should go' either. The club's a basket case, it's horrendously mismanaged from the top, and structurally any success we get is despite of that, not because of it. All a manager can do is progress... whatever form that takes. The only concern I have with Robins is the reliance on loan players that's sneaked in recently - that doesn't bode overly well for next season and developing. Overall however we're building a club, we're imposing a style of play that's a club identity (and let's not forget that lower league players can well be lower league because they can't act on instruction as quickly as higher league ones!)

We have no right to be higher and, of course, we'd all like to be higher - I'm sure Robins would love to be taking part in the Champions' League himself! But there's got to be a certain pragmatism with that as well. If it's so easy to establish a club while the base is ripped out of it, then Nilsson, McAllister, Reid, Adams, Dowie, Coleman, Boothroyd, Thorn, Pressley, Mowbray, Venus, Slade would have all done it by now.

ccfcrob

Robins is the right man for the job.

People will moan that he has spent money on strikers that dont score. We are where we are, we cannot afford the finished article they will develop given time.

I trust Robins completely, he has recruited heavily for the U23s which is only a good thing, and developing players is the only way we can operate.
He has brought through Bayliss and Shipley who were both key last season. He recruited for the U23s Hyam (Who has been key), McCallum, Allisani who have all made appearances in the first team.

Changing managers every 18 months is not the answer as we have seen since dropping out of the Premiership.

We are playing some of the most exciting, fluid football that I have ever seen us play,just that final pass/shot is missing. That will come.
If Man City/Barcelona go 1-0 down early or are still at 0-0 after an hour, they continue to play the way they did in the 1st minute because they believe in what they are doing and the way they are trying to play.

It will come good i have no doubt about that. Mid table is fine for this season and we strengthen on what we have for next season.

The ground situation will be sorted, i have no doubt about that and SISU aren't going anywhere. They have given Robins money to spend the last couple of seasons (Whether through wheeling and dealing or not) so let him get on with it.

I am not saying do not protest however on previous evidence that has done precisely nothing. The reason these things do not work is because they are not done by the masses. Everyone has their own ideas. In my opinion as I have said for years would be that nobody turns up to the Ricoh on a matchday.(That of course will not happen). The other alternative is to sell out a Wasps game, attend in Sky Blue and sing City songs all game. Again the masses will not do that and that is the key.

Yes we can march and say NOPM and blah blah blah, the people that make the decisions do not even notice.

We are all angry and frustrated which is understandable however I am now only concerning myself with what happens on the pitch.

Now I have no doubt that people will take exception with every single point raised in this post. At the end of the day, none of us have the answers otherwise we would be working for the club and not discussing it on here.

At this point a striker could click and score 15 goals before the end of the season pushing us into a playoff place.
At this point we could not score again until April, find ourselves in big trouble Sack/Don't Sack Robins and we get relegated.

At this point (Which i feel is the most likely). We will continue to plod along and pick up some wins here and there, finish 10th - 14th and start again in the summer.

We all love this club (Try and remember that)

RoboCCFC90

The stats say there were 21 shots on goal, 6 on target, throughout the entire game from a City perspective. I previously failed to take into account the goal, that's my bad.

Whether it was Baka's two chances, Shipley's chance, or generally just being in and around the box and having efforts blocked by defenders, we need a striker who is ice cold in that situation, something right now we don't posses.

Speaking of strikers that we do posses, I do wonder if Ponticelli would fit in our system? Yes he might not have the pace Chaplin does and he might not be the target man like JCH was, but as a natural finisher I would say JP is probably the best we have, albeit he is injured right now, could he be the answer?

ccfcrob

The stats say there were 21 shots on goal, 6 on target, throughout the entire game from a City perspective. I previously failed to take into account the goal, that's my bad.

Whether it was Baka's two chances, Shipley's chance, or generally just being in and around the box and having efforts blocked by defenders, we need a striker who is ice cold in that situation, something right now we don't posses.

Speaking of strikers that we do posses, I do wonder if Ponticelli would fit in our system? Yes he might not have the pace Chaplin does and he might not be the target man like JCH was, but as a natural finisher I would say JP is probably the best we have, albeit he is injured right now, could he be the answer?
I would be more concerned it we werent actually creating chances. The fact or the matter is we are.

RoboCCFC90

I really don't get all this 'if he doesn't mount a promotion challenge next season he should go' either.

I disagree, as a manager Robins needs to find solutions to the problem.

I will allow him a little bit of leeway now because as long as we can finish in the top half this season it will be my expectation met and add to that we are playing some very entertaining Football, which can be a joy to watch, however next season I would expect us to be challenging properly, this style that Robins has introduced must have an end product.

If we don't aim to push on as high as possible what is the point in even fielding a team every week?

ccfchoi87

Ponticelli would have scored a few in recent weeks if he'd have had the same chances we've been having. Hopefully he can get back to full fitness soon and get a chance. If not I suspect he'll be off.

NorthernWisdom

I disagree, as a manager Robins needs to find solutions to the problem.
So Paul Tisdale should have been sacked for all those seasons Exeter didn't win promotion?

The natural conclusion is Robins should be sacked if we don't win the Champions' League. You can aim as high as possible while mixing it with a dose of realism, and accepting that any manager we get in has the same constraints, so to continually change for the sake of change ignores the problem.

no_loyalty

Ponticelli would have scored a few in recent weeks if he'd have had the same chances we've been having. Hopefully he can get back to full fitness soon and get a chance. If not I suspect he'll be off.

Good point he is a very good finisher, its a shame he got injured when he did as it would have been interesting to see how many goals he would have scored for Macclesfield.

RoboCCFC90

So Paul Tisdale should have been sacked for all those seasons Exeter didn't win promotion?

The natural conclusion is Robins should be sacked if we don't win the Champions' League. You can aim as high as possible while mixing it with a dose of realism, and accepting that any manager we get in has the same constraints, so to continually change for the sake of change ignores the problem.

Having lived in and also seen quite a bit of Exeter City during the Tisdale years he got treated very well for the most part, the problem with that example is Tisdale took the Club from the Conference (as it was known then) to the League One and was just shy of the playoffs to the Championship, there was no expectation from the Exeter supporters to get that far and with the budget Tisdale had he performed wonders.

His downfall was expectation caught up with him in the end, as it does and the same will happen with Robins, no one expects CCFC to be Champions League, but there is no expectation to sit still in League One either.

As I said before MR has leeway for now because the potential and the style of Football is there, but a good season and a mid table finish and people will expectant next season, whether that be fans, pundits, people within the Club or shareholders and to ensure MR continues his tenure he needs to find those solutions that will turn potential into reality.

RoboCCFC90

Ponticelli also missed a few sitters last season.

Without attempting to be sarcastic every striker does, I’m not expecting JP to score every time he strikes for goal, but I think if you put JP in Baka’s position on Saturday he scores both, if you put JP in Chaplin’s position against Blackpool he scores.

skybluegod

Were there 19 good chances on Saturday no... but there were probably 8/9?

we had 3/4 blocks that were in the box from great positions for the striker. Thomas, overran twice, when he should have released earlier which should/would have been decent chances. There was a free flowing move that resulted in a blocked shot in the first half (can't remember by who, but it was great play, and a decent chance.

Then the two Baka chances
Sterling
two where Bright got into the position to shoot and should have done when in decent positions but wanted to pass it into the goal.

Not to mention the number of times players made the wrong pass, or tried running too with the ball.

I think the results will come. All it is is young players lacking that decisiveness, nobody was willing to take the shot early, instead they were always looking for too much space.

Captain Dart

Normally managers have a natural 'expiry date', I think Robins will be OK this year unless we flirt too closely with relegation.

Next season he really has to deliver a play-off place at the very least.

fernandopartridge

Without attempting to be sarcastic every striker does, I’m not expecting JP to score every time he strikes for goal, but I think if you put JP in Baka’s position on Saturday he scores both, if you put JP in Chaplin’s position against Blackpool he scores.

The thing is that Ponticelli rarely got in that position last season, it's completely unfounded to say he's guaranteed to score

Ashdown

Absolutely, how many of those so called chances were drilled into the legs of a defender 3 yards away ?
Maybe thus far I've picked poor matches to watch live, Scunthorpe lost 2-1, Plymouth won 1-0, Portsmouth lost 0-1, Luton lost 1-2 { Missed our goal due to being fecking freezing and heading off} Gillingham drew 1-1........4 goals in 5 matches, 2 of those penalties. Meh !

Grendel

Time to press ignore on Grendel before I slit my wrists. Don’t think you ever have something positive to say about the club or any of our players

I was talking about Paul Tisdale who has played for or managed us.

Liverpool fans were demanding Klopps head at the weekend - it’s football not managing the National Trust

Fergusons_Beard

Absolutely, how many of those so called chances were drilled into the legs of a defender 3 yards away ?
Maybe thus far I've picked poor matches to watch live, Scunthorpe lost 2-1, Plymouth won 1-0, Portsmouth lost 0-1, Luton lost 1-2 { Missed our goal due to being fecking freezing and heading off} Gillingham drew 1-1........4 goals in 5 matches, 2 of those penalties. Meh !

You should have gone to Bradford with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brighton Sky Blue

The difference being they are dining at the very top table and for every Aguero there is a Santa-Cruz or Jo or Robinho (I'm sure many other that I can't recall) - the difference being they can afford to write off bad signings providing they find good ones too. We need to be 100% certain and it's not that easy, especially if you're not offering huge salaries etc.

Also different pressures - the managers at those clubs also lose their jobs despite much greater success than a L2 play off victory.

With the 4 striking acquisitions last summer we’d all agree he’s got 0/4 and has already shipped 1 out. That’s criminal considering we paid fees for 3 of them and had ample time to identify replacements for McNulty. And we’re not talking Aguero here, we’re talking someone who can put away complete sitters.

Teams face us knowing if they score just once they won’t lose.

Brighton Sky Blue

I really don't get all this 'if he doesn't mount a promotion challenge next season he should go' either. The club's a basket case, it's horrendously mismanaged from the top, and structurally any success we get is despite of that, not because of it. All a manager can do is progress... whatever form that takes. The only concern I have with Robins is the reliance on loan players that's sneaked in recently - that doesn't bode overly well for next season and developing. Overall however we're building a club, we're imposing a style of play that's a club identity (and let's not forget that lower league players can well be lower league because they can't act on instruction as quickly as higher league ones!)

We have no right to be higher and, of course, we'd all like to be higher - I'm sure Robins would love to be taking part in the Champions' League himself! But there's got to be a certain pragmatism with that as well. If it's so easy to establish a club while the base is ripped out of it, then Nilsson, McAllister, Reid, Adams, Dowie, Coleman, Boothroyd, Thorn, Pressley, Mowbray, Venus, Slade would have all done it by now.

Coleman and Adams were given generous transfer budgets and fucked up massively. Coleman especially, what he did was criminal.

Brighton Sky Blue

Does every striker miss a gilt edged sitter every week?

fernandopartridge

With the 4 striking acquisitions last summer we’d all agree he’s got 0/4 and has already shipped 1 out. That’s criminal considering we paid fees for 3 of them and had ample time to identify replacements for McNulty. And we’re not talking Aguero here, we’re talking someone who can put away complete sitters.

Teams face us knowing if they score just once they won’t lose.

Apart from Charlton (twice), Oxford, Southend, Bradford, Doncaster you're spot on

Sky Blue Pete

Absolutely right

CJ_covblaze

He signed Eastwood on a huge contract - total clown

I agree. He had one of the best teams in the league at his disposal and we finished 17th. He’s a terrible manager.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The buck stops with the manager, you have to draw the line somewhere, he gets paid to win football matches, so therefore I would give him another three games to turn it around.

I sort of agree with you, but part of the problem is that the players know that the manager will get the heave rather than them (who will at a minimum get to run their contract down) and so can cause problems for a manager they don't like by causing unrest until he's fired.

That for me is one of the reasons Fergie remained successful over so long. He was willing to get rid of players quickly that were looking to undermine him or cause problems, even if they were relatively recent signings. On the other hand, he would be incredibly loyal to others if they accepted the way he did things.

Of course Fergie did have to initially earn that right and when he became successful more players knew that Fergie was more important than they were and so trying to upset the camp was futile and would only result in them being shipped out.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

ALternatively, he's more flexible with changing things than it's made out...

But it took quite a few things going 'wrong' in the way he wanted to play before he did actually change it. It didn't come across as a willingness to try something different it was more an absolute lack of choice with what was available.

Start of this season when he'd done some recruitment and players looked to be returning to fitness - first opportunity he immediately went back to the style and formations that didn't work last season.

Users who are viewing this thread