If we move back to the Ricoh (1 Viewer)

stupot07

The only way we'd fill the Ricoh regularly is if we're in the PL pushing for a Champions League spot. Having said that I imagine we'd have the largest away section in the top 2 leagues as a % of capacity so we wouldn't have to fill it ourselves.....

I'm not sure the 6800 shows we can sell out the Ricoh week in week out, I imagine the vast majority at MK were part of the 11k regulars last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Noggin

So this is a thread where everyone posting admits the Ricoh is too big?

Dear Wum/idiot

Yes the Ricoh is too big for a team in league one where the owners have spent a decade turning fans away, even then there are times where we need that capacity. However whats the downside of it being too big? too expensive? well is there a cheaper option? no, can you build a cheaper option? no. So that downside is gone, poorer atmosphere? put everyone together like the Preston game and the atmosphere is brilliant so there is that downside gone. So while you ask if its too big the real question should be is there any better options available and the answer is no.

Would the Ricoh be too big in a few years time if we were owned by intelligent owners who wanted to win the fans back, no it would not be. Would a stupidly expensive, poorly located and probably entirely fictional 12k seater stadium be a better option? no fucking way.

stupot07

Dear Wum/idiot

Yes the Ricoh is too big for a team in league one where the owners have spent a decade turning fans away, even then there are times where we need that capacity. However whats the downside of it being too big? too expensive? well is there a cheaper option? no, can you build a cheaper option? no. So that downside is gone, poorer atmosphere? put everyone together like the Preston game and the atmosphere is brilliant so there is that downside gone. So while you ask if its too big the real question should be is there any better options available and the answer is no.

Would the Ricoh be too big in a few years time if we were owned by intelligent owners who wanted to win the fans back, no it would not be. Would a stupidly expensive, poorly located and probably entirely fictional 12k seater stadium be a better option? no fucking way.

A decade of turning fans away?

Intelligent owners that want to win fans back?

Reading between the lines I can only assume you mean throwing money at big transfers and wages in a gamble to get back to the PL...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Harry Krishner

A few changes I reckon if the next owners (whoever they may be) could introduce to improve the "matchday experience" and boost those shitty gates:

1. Keep to the prices now being charged at 6fields- £9-14 for adults and a few quid for kids- that'd eventually get people back up there again- especially on current form.

2. Kids for a quid. Good idea. They'll have to pull out the stops to undo the damage that the charades of recent years have wrought.

3. Build that station- and run shuttle trains between Cov, and possibly Leamington, Kennilworth and Nuneaton (if demand), with a reasonably priced day ticket. Get the city centre pubs jumping on match days. It's a pain in the arse to go to the Ricoh, and I fucking hate driving there and looking for a place to park. It feels like driving to a mall in America. Out of town stadia are a shit idea for supporters but wanking material for architects/planners etc. Never wanted to leave HR, but we did so we're stuck with it. Last thing we need is Ricoh 2 (you SISU twats).

CCFC fans have never really expected spectacular success: a win, winning run or good cup run is a bonus; it's always been about the social side of things- meeting mates and days on the piss in places like Hereford and Winchester- as many people now realise.

Noggin

A decade of turning fans away?

Intelligent owners that want to win fans back?

Reading between the lines I can only assume you mean throwing money at big transfers and wages in a gamble to get back to the PL...

Nope thats not what I mean at all, of course everyone likes seeing great players playing for their team but what I want is owners whose aim is to do whats best for the football club, who are honest with the fans, who run a football club we can be proud of, who we can all get behind, it would be great if they were rich owners who planned to take us to the premiership of course it would, but I'd be very happy with owners basing a team on the academy too.

As I've said in this thread one of my favourite games in recent memory was Preston last year in the tin pot cup, you don't need to be in the premiership for football to be great,

I would like owners who were willing to take a short term loss for long term gain however, I don't mean by spending a fortune on players but I do mean something like ... Hi everyone we are the new owners of Coventry City football club, you've been let down by your owners for a long time and we want to build the club back up again, we promise to be honest with you, sometimes we might have to do things you don't like but I promise not to lie and spin and I promise what we do will be in the interests of Coventry City football club, I will always stand up and tell you what we are doing and why. first and formost we want to encourage the great fanbase that has been lost through decades of mismanagement back and to reward those who have stuck with the club through thick and thin. So for this season and next season anyone who has had a season ticket in the last 15 years will be able to buy up to 4 season tickets at £150 each. We've set up a website where you'll be able to vote on issues that matter to you, enter your supporter number to the website and vote on this weeks questions, we will implement your responses next home game for question 1 and within a month for question2, Question 1 is about goal music, prematch music and the volume of such music, question 2 is about half time entertainment, competitions, cheerleaders etc. Next weeks questions will be about the food and beverage options we will have available and how you like to pay for them.

Make it feel like our football club, make us feel like the good guys again, bring us all together, make the atmosphere the best it can be, make it about the football again, make it fun to go to the games again. I think this is doable weather you are buying a team of superstars or if you are basing the team on the academy and selling the stars for the best price.

Last edited:

The Gentleman

The only way we'd fill the Ricoh regularly is if we're in the PL pushing for a Champions League spot. Having said that I imagine we'd have the largest away section in the top 2 leagues as a % of capacity so we wouldn't have to fill it ourselves.....

I'm not sure the 6800 shows we can sell out the Ricoh week in week out, I imagine the vast majority at MK were part of the 11k regulars last season.

Disagree, Derby County have proved that you do not have to be in the PL and pushing for a champions league spot to have good attendances, they are only a town too with big rivals on their doorstep. All this bollocks about never filling the Ricoh does my head in. It's like everything, you have a good product and people will come to see it. You would only need 20k+ to make a good atmosphere at the Ricoh and once people go away and tell others at home, work, school or down the pub how good the team is playing and how good the atmosphere can be and it will rise.

shmmeee

A promotion season at the Ricoh in L1 would pull in 15k average easy, 20k first season back in the Championship. Take it from there.

We could easily average 25k if we were upper championship. This club is starved of success. Looking back at our least successful period tells us nothing about the pull of a successful side IMO.

Johnnythespider

Take out the first 10 rows of seats and create safe standing. Terraces close to the pitch will improve the atmosphere.

stupot07

A promotion season at the Ricoh in L1 would pull in 15k average easy, 20k first season back in the Championship. Take it from there.

We could easily average 25k if we were upper championship. This club is starved of success. Looking back at our least successful period tells us nothing about the pull of a successful side IMO.

Unfortunately getting 20k in the championship without access to additional revenues won't give us the cash you need to compete at upper championship level.

Longford

Unfortunately getting 20k in the championship without access to additional revenues won't give us the cash you need to compete at upper championship level.

No you are right. Let's just stay on in Northampton or build a 12000 seater stadium "just outside" Coventry. That will sort it. *sigh*

stupot07

No you are right. Let's just stay on in Northampton or build a 12000 seater stadium "just outside" Coventry. That will sort it. *sigh*

Of course it won't. I want us back at the Ricoh, I'm just pointing out that regardless of rent without access to revenues we would continue to struggle in the championship.

The season we got relegated, we were in the bottom 3-4 turnovers in the league despite having larger attendances than 9 other teams.

shmmeee

I'll be honest, I'm not sure even "revenues" will save us. The jump from top of L1 to top of Champ requires either massive luck or massive investment. Ideally both.

But I try not to think too hard about that.

Users who are viewing this thread