If we had new owners in for next season... would you keep Thorn (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

If we had new owners and money to spend in pre-season before our L1 campaign, would you keep Thorn and give him a chance to take us back up?

or

will it be time to get a proven manager with tactical knowledge and experience to take us up first time?

My initial thought is to get a new campaign away we need a clean slate and that includes Thorn going and just keeping the academy kids.

The rot is too deep now with the current players.

BackRoomRummermill

Andy Thorn is a useless manager based on the facts of CCFC this Season.

I you argue that I would defo lay off Crack Cocaine or go and seek help. Sorry to say that believe me.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

We will be relegated and start next season, hopefully with new owners.

New division, new stewardship and it has to be a new manager.

Thorn being permitted to go back to the role he was never capable of stepping up from

samccov1987

As much as he has been dealt a bad hand we can't possibly keep him. Him, Harrison, Oggy all have to go along with alot of the senior players - the stench of failure has surrounded this club for too long and any one associated with it should leave, the exception being the academy kids who i feel desperately sorry for.

As for new owners - i'm losing patience with the Hoff. If he does manage to takeover i can see him spending big money by league 1 standards but the moment we get back to the championship i reckon we'll be in exactly the same position. We're a new Peterborough or Scunthorpe too big for league 1 but not going to stick in the Championship for long. The damage is done and the club is on life support.

We are potentially the next Bradford or Plymouth

Faz

He has to go too.

I hate SISU with a passion but you can't exactly blame them if the players don't give a shit about winning or losing. If they did they would fight to the end.

I do respect thorn, but i still don't consider him as manager material. He should know by now that it's a lost cause as much as we do. For everyone's sake (including his own) he should just stick two fingers at SISU and resign now. I can't see us winning many more games at all under him, and i feel the respect towards him will turn to hate.. it's already starting to happen now. Get out while you still can Andy, you are far out of your depth.

skybluehugh

He won't do the right thing. He is doing a Kean (Blackburn) even though he knows the fans have had enough of him he also knows he won't get another job so he's sticking it out because the crap owners carn't afford to sack him and bring someone else in:slap::slap:

Nonleagueherewecome

I'd keep Thorn, but if we are still owned by SISU, I hope he either resigns or is fired so that all the twat fans can't keep blaming him for doing the job with both hands tied behind his back. At least then, when we struggle even more, they might open their eyes and realise what a difficult job he's had.

If we had new owners and money to spend in pre-season before our L1 campaign, would you keep Thorn and give him a chance to take us back up?

or

will it be time to get a proven manager with tactical knowledge and experience to take us up first time?

My initial thought is to get a new campaign away we need a clean slate and that includes Thorn going and just keeping the academy kids.

The rot is too deep now with the current players.

Ownership is irrelevant. Thorn is out of his depth. Always was and always will be. a good scout but no leader of men.

Nonleagueherewecome

Ownership is irrelevant. Thorn is out of his depth. Always was and always will be. a good scout but no leader of men.

Well how much was the sale of Lukas down to the owners? How much has been re-invested? How much was the departures of King, Turner, Westwood and Aron down to the owners-and how much of their wages has been re-invested in replacements? Ownership irrelevant? Don't be so pigheaded!

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I'd keep Thorn, but if we are still owned by SISU, I hope he either resigns or is fired so that all the twat fans can't keep blaming him for doing the job with both hands tied behind his back. At least then, when we struggle even more, they might open their eyes and realise what a difficult job he's had.

I usually refrain from calling for AT to be sacked / walk, however ive had enough of justifying why he should stay and using the excuses like 'hes not had the backing' or 'his hands are tied'. Its clear to most supporters he IS NOT a manager. He is tactically inept, and the board / owners cannot be blamed for this.

My message to Andy, for what its worth (admittidly probably very little) is you should walk now, while you still have your pride. Failure to do this, the board need to grow a pair, dismiss him, or offer him his old scouting job back atleast, and put Carsley in charge until the end of the season. Then if SISU are still here, and the take over still hasnt happened, appoint a proper manager, like we should of at the start of this season. If a takeover happens, well, they will undoubtably want their own man (and I hope they do too).

Skyblueloyal

Keep Thorn I would rather go watch Villa than watch the dross he puts out week after week, will be glad when he goes as his after match interviews have not changed all season. Please don't think its all down to Sisu, they don't pick the team or tactics it lays squarely at him. I will say Sisu have not helped, but Thorn has had more than enough time.

Nonleagueherewecome

I usually refrain from calling for AT to be sacked / walk, however ive had enough of justifying why he should stay and using the excuses like 'hes not had the backing' or 'his hands are tied'. Its clear to most supporters he IS NOT a manager. He is tactically inept, and the board / owners cannot be blamed for this.

My message to Andy, for what its worth (admittidly probably very little) is you should walk now, while you still have your pride. Failure to do this, the board need to grow a pair, dismiss him, or offer him his old scouting job back atleast, and put Carsley in charge until the end of the season. Then if SISU are still here, and the take over still hasnt happened, appoint a proper manager, like we should of at the start of this season. If a takeover happens, well, they will undoubtably want their own man (and I hope they do too).

I think he's a manager-his switch to 433 1st half today worked a treat. He still has my backing 100%.

I can't be bothered justifying him either, but you are like a lot of people: Thorn hasn't become a non-manager, you've just ran out of patience. What's changed is your viewpoint, not his performance.

Last edited:

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I must say, i do worry that the board are not seeing our current predicament the way us fans see it, and with their record of giving contracts to just about anyone whose is running out, no matter how shite they are, it wouldnt surprise me that come the end of the season, Thorn is offered an extension to his current 12 month rolling contract!

Nonleagueherewecome

Keep Thorn I would rather go watch Villa than watch the dross he puts out week after week, will be glad when he goes as his after match interviews have not changed all season. Please don't think its all down to Sisu, they don't pick the team or tactics it lays squarely at him. I will say Sisu have not helped, but Thorn has had more than enough time.

So if the budget and squad haven't improved-indeed post-Lukas, they've deteriorated-, how is he meant to magically transform our season through time?!?

Chipfat

No,, he is a reactive manager no proactive and ths is not really his fault, he is learning his trade ( cheap Option).. If i was him i would be putting more light on the work Harrison and Oggy are doing, because from GK to FW we have not improved under this managment team... As for having no fittness trainer that maybe the worst decision and most costly one SISU have made, lets face it conceding as many as we do after 60 mins is the sign players are physically and mentally weaker than every other team in the championship..

Nonleagueherewecome

Players have improved. Best example is probably Lukas and Keogh.

SkyBlue_Bear83

No, we need a total overhaul of players and coaching staff. Keep Gael, Thomas, Christie, Clarke, Keogh and everyone else at the club including coaching staff and players are expendable.

Chipfat

Juke has improved,,, He doesnt even play for us..... And if you think this managment team have improved anyone in this current squad ill agree to disagree because we are shocking as a team as we are individuals... This is due to lack of experience, lack of fittness and mostly down to lack of tactical support from Oggy, Harrison and AT,,, I dont care if Oggy played in for the club or if Harrison is funny and AT is anice bloke, because at this time none are helping and im not laughing or finding our current plight soothed by the fact Oggy was a very good keeper .......

Well how much was the sale of Lukas down to the owners? How much has been re-invested? How much was the departures of King, Turner, Westwood and Aron down to the owners-and how much of their wages has been re-invested in replacements? Ownership irrelevant? Don't be so pigheaded!

How much is the sale of a player often down to the player? - more often than I would care to imagine. Easy to blame the owners when players want to go or will not sign off new contracts.

I stand by my original statement - Thorn is not good enough - end of. That statement has nothing to do with ownership.

Suggest you read my posts rather than twisting what post to suit your own warped agenda all the time.

Daz

I agree lets be honest we would struggle in league 1 unless we get a winning mentality christ Thorn reckons we have a good home record!! I suppose a draw is a result:slap::slap::slap::slap:

Skyblueweeman

I'm likely to be castigated for this but hey ho...It's a forum so I'm entitled to my opinion.

I'm a fan from afar so cannot judge on what's on show on a week to week basis. But...didn't the majority of our fan base like the way we were playing under Thorn when he first came in? Then we collectively lose Westwood, Turner, Gunnar, King and Lukas and replace them with a handful of loan players???

Tactically, he might be more inept that we first thought...but he's lost a very decent spine of the team. How do you motivate a team of nippers and mediocre players when the family silverware is sold off to balance the books?

Whilst I think Thorn takes some blame for where we are, he's not totally at fault. We're in a losing habit right now...would someone like Warnock do a better job? I personally don't think so.

We're going down, no doubt about it. Other things are in more urgent need of changing before our manager. Owners for a start...the rest would start to fall into place once this happens....

Just my opinion like....

WM

Nonleagueherewecome

How much is the sale of a player often down to the player? - more often than I would care to imagine. Easy to blame the owners when players want to go or will not sign off new contracts.

I stand by my original statement - Thorn is not good enough - end of. That statement has nothing to do with ownership.

Suggest you read my posts rather than twisting what post to suit your own warped agenda all the time.

If you can't appreciate the irrational elements to your posts, then I'll point them out to you. You seem very paranoid about me, which I find sad but amusing in equal measure. All I did was point out that the manager can only work with what he's got, and the owners have not supported him. Even worse, they have repeatedly broken promises about the available budget and imminent signings. That means that the reality of our situation is indeed very much linked to our owners!

Users who are viewing this thread