If we did get promoted and you had to name just one overriding factor as to the reason why... (1 Viewer)

Otis

What would that one reason be?

I would say the fact that we have 4 very decent centre backs. That has ensured that we have had such a tight defence all season long. Has to be doesn't it?

Yeah, there have been McNulty's goals, but without that back four we would be much further down the table. Even single one of them has not let the side down.

Any other candidates? Because of Robins? Doyle?

Otis

Yeah I agree, it’s took us a while to be able to score. If it wasn’t for our defence, we’d have been left behind ages ago
But especially the centre backs, because Stokes has been distinctly average and so too Haynes.

Grimmer has looked good, but all the centre backs have been outstanding at one time or another.

skybluegod

Surely has to be simply down to Robins, recruited 3 solid centre backs and grimmer at right back, added a 20 goal striker, and some experienced heads in midfield.
But even more simply, you talk about the defence but while his tactics do get criticised at times, he has tightened us up.
He did so towards the backend of last season, and it has provided us a very solid base this season.

Stevec189

Surely it is Robbins? He built the team. Solid at the back and goal potential in midfield and upfront? Yes it took time to get the strikers scoring but at least he went out and tried to fix it?

BTW I dont think they will go up but lets keep the faith eh?

Otis

Surely has to be simply down to Robins, recruited 3 solid centre backs and grimmer at right back, added a 20 goal striker, and some experienced heads in midfield.
But even more simply, you talk about the defence but while his tactics do get criticised at times, he has tightened us up.
He did so towards the backend of last season, and it has provided us a very solid base this season.
Interesting. Because not so long ago people were calling for him to be sacked.

skybluegod

People are too quick to jump the gun, one of the reasons I post so little, is simply because of the stupid reactions. You can go through any match thread and see when we are drawing we are shit but as soon as we score we are going up...
Robins has done a great job, he’s not perfect by any means. He has made mistakes, but by in large he has fixed them.
Don’t think we can do any better.

pastythegreat

Leadership.
As pure and simple as that for me! We have 3 or 4 leaders on the pitch this season. Last season everybody was hiding and nobody was willing to stand up and lead! This season, everybody knows their job and what is expected of them!

Mucca Mad Boys

Mark Robins.

He set out to build not just a team, but a squad. Davies and Hyam being 2 players that, whenever they have played, have not looked out of depth - despite being brought in as role players or backup options.

He had an unwavering belief in McNulty, when the typical boo-boys said he wasn’t a ‘natural goal scorer’, ‘wasn’t good enough’ or even the occasional idiot suggesting we should sell him in Jan. McNulty has repaid the faith Robins put in him. He’s put faith in Vincenti too, who’s starting to deliver at such a pivotal time of the season.

He’s brought in young players, in particular Bayliss against the recommendation of his own coaching staff.

Recruitment has been a massively improved, JCH was a 3rd choice target and he’s really lifted our attack to another level.

Despite our bad luck, injuries to key players, we’re still in touching distance of automatics, so, even if we don’t go up this year, I have a lot of faith in us to get promoted next season.

I could go on further, he’s not had a perfect season, indeed there’s been many frustrations, but he is the right man to take this club forward.

Paxman II

On the pitch, McNulty finding the net after it looked like he couldn't hit a barn door. Robin's told us he would come through.
The centre backs who have all been solid. Again Robins choices.
So the one x factor has to be Robins.

Londonccfcfan

I would say the fact that we have 4 very decent centre backs. That has ensured that we have had such a tight defence all season long. Has to be doesn't it?

Yeah, there have been McNulty's goals, but without that back four we would be much further down the table. Even single one of them has not let the side down.

There wouldn’t be one reason. Could be one of many.

I’d say strength in depth of squad. Coping with injuries. Having 2 players for every position.

JulianDarbyFTW

The emergence of two youth team players in Bayliss and Shipley who have shown how comfortable they are at this level, and how our academy can finally benefit the team rather than as a way to reduce the losses. In fact, we have Burge, both DKEs, Willis, Haynes, Shipley, Bayliss, Ponticelli, Stephenson, and probably one or two I've forgotten who have all played a part. That's an achievement in its own right.

Otis

Mark Robins.

He set out to build not just a team, but a squad. Davies and Hyam being 2 players that, whenever they have played, have not looked out of depth - despite being brought in as role players or backup options.

He had an unwavering belief in McNulty, when the typical boo-boys said he wasn’t a ‘natural goal scorer’, ‘wasn’t good enough’ or even the occasional idiot suggesting we should sell him in Jan. McNulty has repaid the faith Robins put in him. He’s put faith in Vincenti too, who’s starting to deliver at such a pivotal time of the season.

He’s brought in young players, in particular Bayliss against the recommendation of his own coaching staff.

Recruitment has been a massively improved, JCH was a 3rd choice target and he’s really lifted our attack to another level.

Despite our bad luck, injuries to key players, we’re still in touching distance of automatics, so, even if we don’t go up this year, I have a lot of faith in us to get promoted next season.

I could go on further, he’s not had a perfect season, indeed there’s been many frustrations, but he is the right man to take this club forward.
Could it not be argued that we SHOULD be top 3 anyway?

Mucca Mad Boys

Could it not be argued that we SHOULD be top 3 anyway?

Maybe. We’ve certainly had all the resources to get to that point. But, L2 is a notoriously difficult league to get out of at the first time of asking. That is at least worth consideration — and the fact the Newport poster said that at the start of the season is telling.

I think the difference between where we are at now, and where we’ve been most of the season is our goal potential. We have multiple outlets that can get us goals now; McNulty, JCH, Bayliss and Vincenti. Whereas, for most of the season, we’ve relied solely on 1-2 players to make the difference; Jones and Nazon, after them, only McNulty was scoring - with the odd goal from midfield.

Plus, the amount of players we’ve signed this season, there is that element of players needing time to ‘gel’, we basically revamped the whole team over the summer. Other teams just didn’t have to do that.

baldy

The emergence of two youth team players in Bayliss and Shipley who have shown how comfortable they are at this level, and how our academy can finally benefit the team rather than as a way to reduce the losses. In fact, we have Burge, both DKEs, Willis, Haynes, Shipley, Bayliss, Ponticelli, Stephenson, and probably one or two I've forgotten who have all played a part. That's an achievement in its own right.

I'm not so sure the DKE brothers plus Stephenson have contributed much this season to be honest (especially the latter)

Brylowes

I think Mark Robins has to be commended for making the most of what he has At his
disposal, if Jones and Andreu had stayed fit I think we’d have been firmly In the auto
places now.
I also think we’ve fallen to a level that matches our owners ambition.

lifeskyblue

Doyle for me. Has been immense; not what he does with the ball but what he expects and gets from those around him. I was disappointed we signed him but now I’m looking for one last season in div 1 from him for CCFC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NortonSkyBlue

Over the season it's Jones, then Nazon, McNulty, the center backs, Doyle my player of the season and Bayliss find of the season.
I am infuriated by a lot of what Robins has done but grateful that he is our manager.
Now it's the final push that will mean it's a good season or whether the knives are unsheathed again.

TewkesburySkyBlue

TewkesburySkyBlue

Mark Robins there’s only one Mark Robins. I was well pissed off when he left to go to Huddersfield but I have to say I have seriously changed my opinion. And if he get’s up that scumbag Steve Evans nose even more reason to like him PUSB

Nick

Administrator
I think Doyle has played a massive part in it as well.

If we had a central midfield of Bigiramana and Stevenson for example with nobody there to fire a rocket up people's arses when they aren't pulling their weight we wouldn't have been anywhere close to what we are now.

BackRoomRummermill

I feel the thread slightly premature , but If you asking why we are in the playoffs and who has done what so far.

Doyle, McNulty, Grimmer and Baylis they have played well against a back drop of issues and compromised accordingly. They have also played with knocks and bruises but generally put in a shift and showed their ability .

You said one thing so I have to say McNulty and his goals.

Otis

I feel the thread slightly premature , but If you asking why we are in the playoffs and who has done what so far.

Doyle, McNulty, Grimmer and Baylis they have played well against a back drop of issues and compromised accordingly. They have also played with knocks and bruises but generally put in a shift and showed their ability .

You said one thing so I have to say McNulty and his goals.
Yeah, if you had to only had to pinpoint one thing. The one most important factor.

I still say the 4 centre backs. If we only had 2 or 3 decent ones I think we wouldn't be where we are right now.

Having 4 has meant that they have all been interchangeable and it has continued to work seemlessly when 1 or 2 have been out.

Irish Sky Blue

If you looked at the poll that was taken, not many were calling for him to be sacked.

Legia Sky Blue

Doyle for me - I know a lot of people blame the cup run for the downturn in league form we suffered at that time, but for me his absence at that time showed how crucial his presence & influence on the team has been. He is the ultimate pro who gives everything & has been a great leader for what has been a pretty young & inexperienced team.

Users who are viewing this thread