If we could start again... (1 Viewer)

Black6Osprey

Who out of the current squad including loans would you actually keep to get us out of League One.

For me I'd keep McGoldrick, McDonald, Fleck & Bailey also on the fence with Moussa, Christie and Murphy. The rest just aren't even close to being good enough for me and would be down the road.

Any decent six a side leagues around?

Grendel

Baker, Wood, Cameron, Thomas, Not good enough for league one?

Baker no he has had 5 good games in the whole of his career at the club, Cameron I think is very suspect he lacks real pace. Thomas remains unproven and Wood is OK but expensive.

On the whole the OP is about right and the vast majority of this squad considering they are so good would attract very little interest from anyone - except Hibs.

dongonzalos

Personally I am happy this squad is good enough. We need a run now without off field shenanigans, see how they do.

I would let ROD, Jeffers, one of Edge, Malaga or both (due to an abundance of centre backs) go.

I would use the wages freed to offer Goldie a pre contract for the summer and hope he stays on loan till then.

dongonzalos

Baker no he has had 5 good games in the whole of his career at the club, Cameron I think is very suspect he lacks real pace. Thomas remains unproven and Wood is OK but expensive.

On the whole the OP is about right and the vast majority of this squad considering they are so good would attract very little interest from anyone - except Hibs.

Woods wages worry me as I think we need him and he may go in January if any offers come in to give Robins wages to play with.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Keep
Murphy
Clarke
Cameron
Wood
Mcgoldrick
Fleck
Baker
Moussa
Thomas
Bailey
Willis

Get rid
Bell
ROD
Sheff
Brown
Kilbane

The others I am not bothered either way, pretty average for this league. Decent squad players to have but not to be relied on to get consistent good results in this league

stupot07

If we could start again from scratch the only players (excluding the academy player e.g Willia, etc) I would retain are Clarke, Christie, Thomas, Bailey and Mcgoldrick and possibly murphy. And that's only because I'm feeling generous.

Last edited:

Grendel

If we could start again from scratch the only players (excluding the academy player e.g Willia, etc) I would retain are Clarke, Christie, Thomas, Bailey and Mcgoldrick and possibly murphy.

Encouraging as we don't even own to of those!

Grendel

Ironic really - last season we were complaining we only had 15 or 16 players to select from - now we would gladly see the back of that many.

Can't see how we can move many of them on though.

Andygabs

Give Christie a game. Best right back at the club.
Could even play right midfield instead of Baker.
I like Bailey, Fleck, Goldie and Jennings ok.
Out should go Sheffield, Clark, Baker, Bell, Brown
and ROD. Bring in pace and midfield general.

ricohman

Believe me when I say this, the large squad will be a bonus later in the season when the opponents get tired. Especially around christmas/New year. That's when we will pick up most of our points

Otis

Baker, Wood, Cameron, Thomas, Not good enough for league one?

Baker and Wood, no. I would say they are not good enough for League One .... not if you are looking to be a promotion side in League One.

Thomas is still young, so may need more time. I quite like Cameron.

If we ripped it up and started again, the only players I would keep would be:

Bailey, McGoldrick, Cameron, Thomas, Willis, Clarke, Christie. Maybe Jennings too.

Out would have to be:

Kilbane
McSheffrey
Brown
Bell
Baker
Hussey
Fleck
Moussa
Barton
Wood
ROD
Jeffers

The whole thing needs ripping up to be honest.

blueflint

bailey barton cameron thomas moussa jennings goldie fleck willis clarke christie

davebart

I was told by a number of fans on here during the summer that this years squad was better than last years squad. I didn't argue then, but it does surprise me now that none of them are good enough.

I suspect they are all good enough it is just that there is not a team spirit. Hopefully Robins is working on that.

Black6Osprey

I think we all know who the total dead wood is in the squad and of course we all will differ slightly on some of the fringe players but my original post was if we could start again who would get us out of this league and not, who is good enough to play in it. I'm surprised so many would keep as many as they are stating, as they clearly are not good enough to get anywhere near the top of this league.

The argument about confidence and team spirit is now very tired and with all the players constantly telling us in the media how up for it they are and that they can beat anyone is now no longer true. And the idea we should be glad we have such a big squad so we can claw our way out of the relegation zone in January when all the other teams are queuing up at the sales is frankly ridiculous.

ICHAN

If a lot of the players aren't good enough, doesn't that blow the theory that AT was a good scout? Not an AT bashing post as he has gone now and time to move on.

davebart

My reading of what MR said when he first arrived was that the attitude of the playing staff was wrong. They had got into a slipshod mentality. They might have thought they were up for it but that was only within th eterms of how much effort they were putting in overall.

It is quite difficult to make people understand that they aren't professional enough and I should think MR has his hands full getting that message across, never mind building up a winning mentality.

skybluegod

i think rod and bell need to be given a chance this season, bell has been unlucky with injuries since he's came here and rod had never started 2 game sin a row i think they need to be given a chance imo if the rest of the squad is given one then they should be given a chance as well

Otis

If we put our faith in bell and ROD I think there is only one way our season is going to go.

We need to be ruthless if we want to sweep away the cobwebs. We have tolerated mediocrity for too many years now. Just how many chances do we give people?

Bell has been here for nigh on 4 years (4 years in Jan). 4 years! Just how many more chances should the bloke have? For me he blew his chances a long long time ago and Bell is exactly the sort of player we should be looking to ship out rather than keep hoping one day he will come good.

This squad needs pace. Bell has none.

The fact that ROD never got a sniff under AT or now MR I think tells you that he is simply not rated at all.

We need to move on from Bell and ROD and a fair few others need shipping out too. I would be inclined to pretty much throw out all the old guard.

ICHAN

Thing is who would want these players we want shot off?
There just not good enough and unfortunatly I can see them being here taking precious money off the club, money we need, it is a sorry state of affairs and in my opinion it will take a long time to get over this and I can only see a lot more mediocre excuses of football at the club for a lot longer than any of us would wish for.

shy_tall_knight

We have so many players on loan
Brown Reckord Bailey Henderson Ball DMG

Can only get rid of our own players if we can tie some of these in for the whole season except Brown.

Of AT's purchases Kilbane hs been poor as has Barton but I would keep him still think there is potential. Elliot is a good player but his lack of pace in a team that lacks pace means he should go also. Jury still out on Jennings. Malaga is toast. Edge & Moussa have done OK.

Others to leave the wide trinity Bell Baker Sheffers - all slow injury prone inconsistent.

ROD / Jeffers if can't get in this team then never will play for the club.
Clarke - Jury out on him again inconsistent

SkyBlue_Bear83

Baker and Wood, no. I would say they are not good enough for League One .... not if you are looking to be a promotion side in League One.

Thomas is still young, so may need more time. I quite like Cameron.

If we ripped it up and started again, the only players I would keep would be:

Bailey, McGoldrick, Cameron, Thomas, Willis, Clarke, Christie. Maybe Jennings too.

Out would have to be:

Kilbane
McSheffrey
Brown
Bell
Baker
Hussey
Fleck
Moussa
Barton
Wood
ROD
Jeffers

The whole thing needs ripping up to be honest.

Fleck out but you would keep Jennings? Incredibly stupid

Otis

Fleck out but you would keep Jennings? Incredibly stupid

Why?

Bit of a rude reply there I would say.

Fleck has been getting knocked off the ball and we need strength. Jennings is a stronger physical player.

And I did say 'maybe.' I didn't say I 'would' keep Jennings.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Why?

Bit of a rude reply there I would say.

Fleck has been getting knocked off the ball and we need strength. Jennings is a stronger physical player.

And I did say 'maybe.' I didn't say I 'would' keep Jennings.
Fleck has also been the only player providing regular assists and ammunition for the strikers

Yeovil
Oldham
2 vs Swindon
Notts country

And he has only started about 4/5 games

Clarke isn't very strong physically yet you have included him in your keep list so your reasoning doesn't make sense to me, especially as Clarke is a defender where strength is more more important than playing as a wide attacking mid

Otis

Much better post there than 'incredibly stupid.'

We need strength, pace and width. Think pretty much all of us have said that. That is not stupid at all. Fleck doesn't offer strength or pace. He can offer some width though.

Jennings is a stronger physical presence. that's all I'm saying. Don't think there is anything stupid in my comments and obviously the post is based on what we have seen so far.

Clarke is quite strong. Would disagree with you. Not often he gets knocked off the ball at all.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Much better post there than 'incredibly stupid.'

We need strength, pace and width. Think pretty much all of us have said that. That is not stupid at all. Fleck doesn't offer strength or pace. He can offer some width though.

Jennings is a stronger physical presence. that's all I'm saying. Don't think there is anything stupid in my comments and obviously the post is based on what we have seen so far.

Clarke is quite strong. Would disagree with you. Not often he gets knocked off the ball at all.
Ok well I think we should definitely be keeping Fleck on showings so far, suggesting Fleck needs to get rid of is incredibly stupid imo

He has averaged an assist every game nearly (1 every 95 mins) I would say a player who can regularly assist is an asset

Otis

Ok well I think we should definitely be keeping Fleck on showings so far, suggesting Fleck needs to get rid of is incredibly stupid imo

He has averaged an assist every game nearly (1 every 95 mins) I would say a player who can regularly assist is an asset

No necessarily useful though assisting if that gets us a goal and we lose 2-1 and he flits in and out of games. That could well be detrimental to the team.

From what I've seen he drifts in and out of games.

SkyBlue_Bear83

No necessarily useful though assisting if that gets us a goal and we lose 2-1 and he flits in and out of games. That could well be detrimental to the team.

From what I've seen he drifts in and out of games.
If he is assisting 1 goal per game and we are losing 2-1 every game then the defence are obviously doing something wrong and would shoulder the majority of the blame, Fleck may be a bit hit and miss at time but for me he is always looking like our most likely supplier of a goal

Lets just leave it at that as you obviously don't rate him as a player

Otis

I do rate him.

If you read through my posts I have consistently said that we have brought in some good players, but just the wrong type of player needed for this league.

SkyblueBazza

Unless you mean - what can we learn from last summers dealings that'll get us where we want to be...?
I think that's the Robins philosophy - & I'm all for that approach. Same thing overall just more constructive in my mind :-/

Users who are viewing this thread