If we could have any ex player back.... (1 Viewer)

Astute

Leon Best

Feckin awesome player.
Goal machine.
Committed, great attitude.
Had a never say die approach to the game.
Collapsed with exhaustion after every match.
Never went missing in games, or slouched his shoulders and never looked disinterested or unmotivated.

Did I say goal machine yet?

How he's not playing alongside Rooney is beyond me...

...and by the way, you're a fool if you think any different

I hold my hand up. I must be a fool.

Better than Keane, Quinny, Dublin, Huckers or even Bellend? Those are without putting any thought into it. I never mentioned Hadji earlier but he would come well before Best.

How many of these would have easily have been top scorer in Div2 which is where we were when we had Best?

usskyblue

Leon Best

Feckin awesome player.
Goal machine.
Committed, great attitude.
Had a never say die approach to the game.
Collapsed with exhaustion after every match.
Never went missing in games, or slouched his shoulders and never looked disinterested or unmotivated.

Did I say goal machine yet?

How he's not playing alongside Rooney is beyond me...

...and by the way, you're a fool if you think any different

A tribute to all the Best lovers out there.

Best wasn't good enough to clean Dublin's boots

sky_blue_up_north

I can't pick just one, so I will go with 4. Tommy Hutchinson, George Hudson, Clarrie Bourton and Ian Gibson... the mind boggles if we had those 4 in our side

davebart

I can't pick just one, so I will go with 4. Tommy Hutchinson, George Hudson, Clarrie Bourton and Ian Gibson... the mind boggles if we had those 4 in our side

Clarrie Bourton wouldn't get anywhere near as many goals in today's game. You were allowed to shoulder charge the goalkeeper in those days.

George Hudson was replaced by Bobby Gould who got us into the first division with his goals. He was poached by Arsenal. How many Cov players can we say that about?

hill83

A tribute to all the Best lovers out there.

Best wasn't good enough to clean Dublin's boots

images

Grendel

Clarrie Bourton wouldn't get anywhere near as many goals in today's game. You were allowed to shoulder charge the goalkeeper in those days.

George Hudson was replaced by Bobby Gould who got us into the first division with his goals. He was poached by Arsenal. How many Cov players can we say that about?

Jeff Blockley went to Arsenal didn't he? Terry Gibson went to Man Utd as of course did the legend that was Peter Bodak.

Tad

Craig Bellamy.

Sorry. Couldn't resist haha

Grendel

sky_blue_up_north

We have to base this on the player at their peak and era. Clarrie's record is outstanding, George Hudson was the second best player I ever saw for the Sky Blues, after Tommy Hutchinson

Astute

How many better strikers in the last decade have we had compared to Best?

Have to say King was a much better striker. Came with a lot of baggage as we all know though.

Grendel

Have to say King was a much better striker. Came with a lot of baggage as we all know though.

I agree but I guess I always view him as an exception as he only signed due to circumstance. Other than him has there been better? I think, though, he cost £650,000 didn't he?

Sterling Archer

Isn't the Dublin exit story completely out of context and it was more that Richardson screwed him as opposed to Dion screwing us?

I know we're told to hate Villa but they really couldn't give a damn about us during that 90's Prem era. Always found our hatred for them a bit one way and cringeworthy.

Changeyourface

Villa fans I know would appear to feel differently. Anyway the point is that he refused to play for us, went to Villa for a grand more a week and slagged us off a couple of years back on a pre-season tour in Asia.

Isn't the Dublin exit story completely out of context and it was more that Richardson screwed him as opposed to Dion screwing us?

I know we're told to hate Villa but they really couldn't give a damn about us during that 90's Prem era. Always found our hatred for them a bit one way and cringeworthy.

I was under the impression he asked for a figure we were not sure but then said we would pay the said figure. Villa came in and he joined them a bigger club for roughly the same.:wave:

Grendel

I was under the impression he asked for a figure we were not sure but then said we would pay the said figure. Villa came in and he joined them a bigger club for roughly the same.:wave:

Dublin signed a contract before departing so guaranteeing a good fee for him.

The suggestion was at the time he was increasing his pay by 100% hence the phrase Dublin your money.

The most influential player in our team for 30 years.

Grendel

If you believe me or not, it doesn't bother me in the sightest. I was just naming the reasons I dislike him.

A fantastic player and a superb ambassador. A real gentleman off the pitch and someone who could easily have walked for free or a much reduced fee of he had not signed when he did.

Gave total commitment on the pitch and inspired a lot around him.

Some of the reasons I think he is one of the best players we have ever had.

Nonleagueherewecome

In the present squad, Terry Gibson or Micky Quinn. Whaddaweneed? Strikers!!! Would either get in our present side, even at their age and with Gibbo's health problems? Hell yeah!

Maybe we should have just signed Noel as a player? Or were his 20k per year wage demands too high?

clerkin61

What we need is another Ferguson/Wallace combo - for those of you who don't know they were from the 70's and an amazing pairing. Perhaps rose tinted glasses as that's when I first started supporting Cov. I was also a huge fan of Garry Thompson.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread