If portsmouth where to fold - which is very possible (1 Viewer)

smileycov

Facebook User
The following are bullet points from an article on BBC Site, and is a vey real scenario.

The club are struggling to have enough money to make it to the end of the season

Chief executive David Lampitt was let go for financial reasons (as with the 30 other redundancies)

Trevor Birch not expect to make any more redundancies.

The Football League will not let them bring in any more players in unless they go down to 14 fit players

A players' representative will meet with Birch on Thursday where Birch will ask them to defer some wages until end of season

Birch will decide who the club is sold to and not creditor Balram Chainrai

Administrators are open to the idea of a supporters trust buying the club

If they did go belly up (and as a football fan, i hope they do not) what do we all think our chances of staying up would be?
It would mean that 5 Clubs are looking at 2 places, Us, Doncaster, Forest, Brizzle and Millwall. With our CURRENT home form i think we would have great chance of survival, not sure if there results would be wiped off the record either. Since we lost down there and some of the others won, there again that is in our favour! It appears the football god's are smiling on us, beacuse with SISU and the like this season we should allready be dead and buried!!

PUSB

mark82

It makes no difference really. We need to be aiming to be above Bristol City & Milwall. If not, there is a good chance we will go down.

Brighton Sky Blue

I am sure it would still be 3 places, I am sure they would relegate one less team from League 2 though?

This has been discussed on another thread-with Portsmouth erased from the league, their results are expunged from the record and one less team is relegated. This ensures that the turnover of teams is still the same-3 promoted, 2 relegated, 1 bust, replaced by 3 relegated and 3 promoted sides from the PL and L1 respectively. This has no effect on leagues lower down the ladder.

mark82

I am sure it would still be 3 places, I am sure they would relegate one less team from League 2 though?

Depends when they went bust. The way it works in non-league where this is a regular occurrence is the 3rd bottom (or equivalent depending on number of relegation places) gets a reprieve. I believe there is a precedent in the football league though where an extra club was promoted from the 3rd tier. Don't ask me when/who but I remember someone telling me (a Sheff Wednesday fan, so maybe when they were relegated the time before last).

Sick Boy

This has been discussed on another thread-with Portsmouth erased from the league, their results are expunged from the record and one less team is relegated. This ensures that the turnover of teams is still the same-3 promoted, 2 relegated, 1 bust, replaced by 3 relegated and 3 promoted sides from the PL and L1 respectively. This has no effect on leagues lower down the ladder.

Cheers for letting me know! :p

Astute

1 extra team goes up from each league below the one where the team goes bust, otherwise the league will be 1 team short. Otherwise 1 team less becomes non league or an extra 1 comes up, can't remember that bit.

smileycov

Facebook User
1 extra team goes up from each league below the one where the team goes bust, otherwise the league will be 1 team short. Otherwise 1 team less becomes non league or an extra 1 comes up, can't remember that bit.

But if they lose only 1 from the football league and 2 still come up then it is all even again surely?

ICHAN

Think we need to take survive into our own hands and not rely on whatever happens with other clubs.
The team really need to start earning their money now, buckle down and give blood and guts to the cause, the club and most of all they owe the fans who go home and away for the support they have had throught this abysmally shit season.

Paxman II

In a twisted sense if we can't get out of it on merit from where we are now then we deserve to go down and I would accept that readily.

Tonylinc

I too would accept it. If we are not good enough to stay up on merit then that is too bad. In any event, I am firmly of the view that if we do stay up then it will just be the same next season and the season after that. We must somehow break this endless circle of failure. I am hoping that a new owner wil do just that.

The CableGuy

Forget Pompey, if we can't win even ONE game away from home (currently the only team in England yet to do so), then we deserve to go down.

shmmeee

Thing with all this is: if we don't go down this season, we will next season when we've sold off another set of players like Keogh and the likes of Cranie, Clingan and Platt have been allowed to leave.

rob9872

IF their results are expunged (and I think it is only the second half of the season that they do that to) we would be better off against the teams around us. This would offer an even greater chance of survival. C'mon tax man get the liquidators in :)

ccfcway

we have been sh1t this season, we were sh1t last season, and have been sh1t pretty much since i started supporting cov in 1984 (apart from 87).

We are desitned to be sh1t.

Users who are viewing this thread