Ian Wright: Home Truths (1 Viewer)

Kneeza

Farkin' tough watch thus far.
My missus is in tears here. Too much like home truths.

rob9872

Would imagine so I they've wheeled out Wright, seems they only let him talk on race and not about football any more. Even replaced on the top 10 lists by Micah Richards these days, who seems a good guy but not as much to say as Wright and you know the BBC only allow one black face at a time to make room fir Jug Ears and boring Shearer. Having said that, at least it's not Garth Crooks and I see Jermain Jenas not too popular on here either.

stupot07

Well worth a watch. A bit of an emotional roller coaster. Its about psychological impact of domestic abuse on children.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Kneeza

The first fifteen minutes or so were particularly hard. That kind of psychological abuse is absolutely vile, and potentially sets the pattern for life.
Horrible.

hill83

Would imagine so I they've wheeled out Wright, seems they only let him talk on race and not about football any more. Even replaced on the top 10 lists by Micah Richards these days, who seems a good guy but not as much to say as Wright and you know the BBC only allow one black face at a time to make room fir Jug Ears and boring Shearer. Having said that, at least it's not Garth Crooks and I see Jermain Jenas not too popular on here either.

Oops

Dickhead

rob9872

Oops

Dickhead
In what way dickhead? You don't think the BBC tick boxes? If so tell me why it was Wright who was replaced by Richards and not Shearer? Been the same for years when they've had Dion or others but never together, can't be a coincidence.

hill83

In what way dickhead? You don't think the BBC tick boxes? If so tell me why it was Wright who was replaced by Richards and not Shearer? Been the same for years when they've had Dion or others but never together, can't be a coincidence.

The assumption. Nothing more.
Not arsed about the rest.

Black man talking must be about race. Must be.

rob9872

The assumption. Nothing more.
Not arsed about the rest.

Black man talking must be about race. Must be.
Give it a rest, that wasn't the point and you know it.

rob9872

Not really, since I didn't chuck the dickhead insults about. My point is that they've sidelined him on football, but immediately thought oh shit what have we done and bought Micah in. If it was balanced they could actually use them together, but that's not the BBC way.

rob9872

I stand corrected for that one occasion, God knows what you're googled to find it, buy you know the general premise to be correct. Also interesting that you targeted my post and not the one above it from Pete that actually suggested it rather than my more important point, but hey ho.

hill83

I stand corrected for that one occasion, God knows what you're googled to find it, buy you know the general premise to be correct. Also interesting that you targeted my post and not the one above it from Pete that actually suggested it rather than my more important point, but hey ho.

Pete asked the question. You went with it without knowing and got it wrong. Then changed your point and got it wrong.

Let’s leave it.

rob9872

Pete asked the question. You went with it without knowing and got it wrong. Then changed your point and got it wrong.

Let’s leave it.
No change, I've been consistent throughout about BBC bias that's all. Not just on race, but inclusion in general. They try too hard , race, gender, disability and sexuality but such obvious box ticking quotas rather than natural evolution.

rob9872

Haha ok I'll give you that one tbf, never seen them together on it. However, do you still not recognise there is a general bias? I'll accept perhaps I am wrong, but certainly feels like that to me. Equally still don't appreciate the cheap insults that I don't throw at you or others.

hill83

Haha ok I'll give you that one tbf, never seen them together on it. However, do you still not recognise there is a general bias? I'll accept perhaps I am wrong, but certainly feels like that to me. Equally still don't appreciate the cheap insults that I don't throw at you or others.

Don’t think there’s a bias no. And I’ll retract dickhead. But ‘feels like’ isn’t enough if I’m being honest. And you assumed because it was a black bloke it was a doc about race.

And to be fair if you were right and they felt like they could only have one black person on at a time why is that? Why would they think they would have to do that? Because I can’t work it out, I’m completely flummoxed.

Remember the kick off when Sainsbury’s or whoever it was did a Christmas advert with a black family. Carnage.

rob9872

Don’t think there’s a bias no. And I’ll retract dickhead. But ‘feels like’ isn’t enough if I’m being honest. And you assumed because it was a black bloke it was a doc about race.
Thx. And yes I possibly did assume, but only in response to a direct question, not raised.

rob9872

To respond to the second part, it's as I said further up in ticking rather than evolution. Did you not see the ridiculous controversy about who will replace sue and the team on question of sport? Not only race but couldn't have two women either perish the thought. Stone ages.

Kneeza

I like Ian Wright, I take it that it was about his growing up?

I also like Micah Richards, I know he's everywhere at the minute but he just generally has a good laugh compared to the boring fuckers.
It was, partly. There was one particularly emotionally-charged stanza early on where he visits the flat where he lived as a kid.
You could clearly saw the raw pain, and understand it as he descibed his life then.
He was also very honest about his career behaviours in later life.
I was never a huge Wrighty fan, but this showed me a whole new angle on the man, and left me with a new level of respect.

Kneeza

I'll add that I mean I was never a huge fan of him as a footballer, but this was probably strongly influenced by his on-pitch mentality and behaviours. Now I can see through that.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I watched it....What a brave man......I didn't really want to because I knew I would end up in a mess & then have to talk about it with my Mrs.

Whilst everyone is correct when they say you've gotta talk about it, its fucking hard to do so.

I was silent about what I suffered for 37 years....finally sought some help about 3 years ago for some emotions & behaviours that, I've since learned, were a direct result of the trauma of the abuse.

After getting some therapy, I finally understood it wasn't my fault & that I could finally tell my wife......but that was the hardest conversation of my life...and thats got some pretty stiff competition in itself I can tell thee.

I think part of the reason I didn't tell my Mrs about my current health scare was because I feel I've already burdened her enough.....I know they say a trouble shared is a trouble halved but fuck me, its a heavy load to carry.

The things that really resonated with me from Ian Wrights conversations:

1. When, after hearing about other victims abuse, he felt embarrassed that he was "acting the victim" despite clearly being one. Nail on head.
2. Seeing it finally dawn on him when talking to the therapist that as a middle aged successful man with his own loving family around him, hes free, he has choices & is no longer in danger. Such a relief.
3. That the anger/resentment/violence/depression he feels relates to his 9 year old self....not the 56 year old man he is now....and he can choose to not feel that anymore. Its not easy, and its almost definitely a work in progress for life, but I hope it helps him find some peace.

I think I might watch it again over the weekend as I found some of it very helpful indeed.....good free therapy......even if it does make my cry like a baby.

Happy Friday folks.

Otis

I watched it....What a brave man......I didn't really want to because I knew I would end up in a mess & then have to talk about it with my Mrs.

Whilst everyone is correct when they say you've gotta talk about it, its fucking hard to do so.

I was silent about what I suffered for 37 years....finally sought some help about 3 years ago for some emotions & behaviours that, I've since learned, were a direct result of the trauma of the abuse.

After getting some therapy, I finally understood it wasn't my fault & that I could finally tell my wife......but that was the hardest conversation of my life...and thats got some pretty stiff competition in itself I can tell thee.

I think part of the reason I didn't tell my Mrs about my current health scare was because I feel I've already burdened her enough.....I know they say a trouble shared is a trouble halved but fuck me, its a heavy load to carry.

The things that really resonated with me from Ian Wrights conversations:

1. When, after hearing about other victims abuse, he felt embarrassed that he was "acting the victim" despite clearly being one. Nail on head.
2. Seeing it finally dawn on him when talking to the therapist that as a middle aged successful man with his own loving family around him, hes free, he has choices & is no longer in danger. Such a relief.
3. That the anger/resentment/violence/depression he feels relates to his 9 year old self....not the 56 year old man he is now....and he can choose to not feel that anymore. Its not easy, and its almost definitely a work in progress for life, but I hope it helps him find some peace.

I think I might watch it again over the weekend as I found some of it very helpful indeed.....good free therapy......even if it does make my cry like a baby.

Happy Friday folks.
Thanks for sharing. 😎

Users who are viewing this thread