I wish (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueCRJ

Categorically not. I never took to O'Brien largely due to his shocking treatment of our own younger players on the pitch.

Adge

Categorically not. I never took to O'Brien largely due to his shocking treatment of our own younger players on the pitch.
Why wouldn’t he if they were not doing the job? So in that case then Doyle’s “shocking behaviour” towards Shipley and Bayliss yesterday should be called out?

Ricketts

And in the dressing room too, apparently.

As a sponsor we went to one of the closed interviews with Tony Mowbray. He said JOB was a person who was always blaming everybody else, scaring the shit out of the youngsters, and was a disruptive influence. Never looked at any of the errors that he made himself.

He had to get rid.

Reactions: vow

luwalla

I liked JOB when he was here , but no way we need him now. We have one or two experienced heads in midfield already, and more importantly we have a better younger player in a similar mould as JOB - Luke Thomas . Similar work rate , but faster & more creativity

Otis

He is only 30, but has had a lot of clubs in that time.

I know some are loans, but it worries me he moves around so much lately.

Screenshot_2018-09-17-06-24-24.png

SkyBlueCRJ

Why wouldn’t he if they were not doing the job? So in that case then Doyle’s “shocking behaviour” towards Shipley and Bayliss yesterday should be called out?

There's zero comparison with the two. Doyle is our captain and it's his job to give a bollocking when needed and he doesn't do it unnecessarily game in game out. O'Brien on the other hand would criticise the younger players on a weekly basis sometimes without probable cause.

SkyBlueCRJ

And in the dressing room too, apparently.

As a sponsor we went to one of the closed interviews with Tony Mowbray. He said JOB was a person who was always blaming everybody else, scaring the shit out of the youngsters, and was a disruptive influence. Never looked at any of the errors that he made himself.

He had to get rid.

I heard similar stories too and I was delighted when we got rid to be honest.

Otis

I heard similar stories too and I was delighted when we got rid to be honest.
It was clear on the pitch that he was having a right old go at his teammates.

If Doyle has the players' respect and O'Brien didn't, there's the difference right there.

SkyBlueCRJ

It was clear on the pitch that he was having a right old go at his teammates.

If Doyle has the players' respect and O'Brien didn't, there's the difference right there.

Exactly, it's like getting told off by your co-worker.

I remember going to Bristol City away in 2014 in the JPT. We played poorly that game I must admit but JOB's treatment of Haynes was bordering on disgusting. It wouldn't surprise me if Haynes' development suffered slightly because of him that season because he was constantly badgering him for getting too far up the pitch all season - which is a fair criticism in itself but it's not fair when you're relaying it in a manner where you're screaming in a 17 year olds face calling him every name under the sun. Plus Haynes was actually playing quite well then... Regardless, I'm pretty sure that after the Bristol game Haynes would rarely take a player on after that absolute hounding from O'Brien. Hence why I think he's just a complete twat who thought he was far better than he actually was.

Grendel

Exactly, it's like getting told off by your co-worker.

I remember going to Bristol City away in 2014 in the JPT. We played poorly that game I must admit but JOB's treatment of Haynes was bordering on disgusting. It wouldn't surprise me if Haynes' development suffered slightly because of him that season because he was constantly badgering him for getting too far up the pitch all season - which is a fair criticism in itself but it's not fair when you're relaying it in a manner where you're screaming in a 17 year olds face calling him every name under the sun. Plus Haynes was actually playing quite well then... Regardless, I'm pretty sure that after the Bristol game Haynes would rarely take a player on after that absolute hounding from O'Brien. Hence why I think he's just a complete twat who thought he was far better than he actually was.

Haynes and O Brien were on the pitch for 14 minutes together in that game James

You do make up some tripe don’t you

Grendel

Were you at the game?

Is what I stated factually accurate?

If so are you seriously saying a players “development” was impacted by 14 minutes?

SkyBlueCRJ

Is what I stated factually accurate?

If so are you seriously saying a players “development” was impacted by 14 minutes?

Oh okay so just because you quoted facts that means that O'Brien never uttered a word to Haynes? Or have you taken the time to research the wordcount between them both as well?

After the Christmas period of that season Haynes wasn't the same player. Yes that could've been a result of being overplayed, but put that alongside overly-aggressive teammates what chance does a player have to express themselves on the field. After all what affects a young players performance especially - confidence. It doesn't matter what level you play at if a senior player bollocks you to that extent week after week your confidence is taking a knock, regardless of your personality.

I've never said his development was solely impacted by 14 minutes. In my post I've said that O'Briens constant badgering could've factored in hindering his development. But like I said it wouldn't surprise me if that bollocking from O'Brien stuck with him for the remaining months of the season. So, I really don't see what is so illogical by that comment or what tripe I'm making up?

Grendel

Oh okay so just because you quoted facts that means that O'Brien never uttered a word to Haynes? Or have you taken the time to research the wordcount between them both as well?

After the Christmas period of that season Haynes wasn't the same player. Yes that could've been a result of being overplayed, but put that alongside overly-aggressive teammates what chance does a player have to express themselves on the field. After all what affects a young players performance especially - confidence. It doesn't matter what level you play at if a senior player bollocks you to that extent week after week your confidence is taking a knock, regardless of your personality.

I've never said his development was solely impacted by 14 minutes. In my post I've said that O'Briens constant badgering could've factored in hindering his development. But like I said it wouldn't surprise me if that bollocking from O'Brien stuck with him for the remaining months of the season. So, I really don't see what is so illogical by that comment or what tripe I'm making up?

Haynes was rubbish for the whole season

We stayed up because Mowbray jettisoned him from the team as soon as stokes arrived

I’m just staggered you have such an accurate recall of 14 minutes of football which happened 4 years ago

SkyBlueCRJ

Haynes was rubbish for the whole season

We stayed up because Mowbray jettisoned him from the team as soon as stokes arrived

I’m just staggered you have such an accurate recall of 14 minutes of football which happened 4 years ago

Oh he was rubbish for the whole season was he? Is that why he had Premier League scouts looking at him for the first half of the season.

Probably because I attended the game Grendel and funnily enough seeing a senior player bollock an academy graduate to the extent he did sticks out in my memory.

Martin180

JOB was possibly the worst player positionally I've watched in 40 years supporting Coventry. He also used to bawl out team mates for his own shortcomings but as others have said typical Cov fans loved him cause " he ran around a lot "

Otis

He did wander all over the pitch, albeit in search of the ball, but he would so often be caught out of position and that is a fact.

Fine if he had licence to wander, but I'm not sure he had.

I found him exciting and frustrating in equal measure.

stupot07

We missed him when Mowbray offloaded him. Potentially cost us promotion. And before anyone says he isn't that good, its about a team be a sum of its parts, and he was a cog in a decent team that faltered when he (and Kent) left. IIRC he finished top assist maker that season despite only playing half a season.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ccfcisparks

We missed him when Mowbray offloaded him. Potentially cost us promotion. And before anyone says he isn't that good, its about a team be a sum of its parts, and he was a cog in a decent team that faltered when he (and Kent) left. IIRC he finished top assist maker that season despite only playing half a season.

He played 40 games that year, not as if he only played 20. Also pretty certain he didn't finish top assist maker as im sure Murphy and Armstrong had more than him.

stupot07

He played 40 games that year, not as if he only played 20. Also pretty certain he didn't finish top assist maker as im sure Murphy and Armstrong had more than him.
He played 26 in the league that year, before going out on loan to scunthorpe. You're are right though, Murphy got 10 assists and Armstrong got 5, JOB got 4.

We still missed him the latter half of that season imo.

Irish Sky Blue

JOB was possibly the worst player positionally I've watched in 40 years supporting Coventry. He also used to bawl out team mates for his own shortcomings but as others have said typical Cov fans loved him cause " he ran around a lot "
Liked him because he was a skilful player who scored and made goals and was exciting to watch. Working hard as well would be a bonus.

Hobo

Don’t remember Telford-was he any good?:emoji_thinking:

Ran around and worked his socks off. But had no sense of positional play, so half his running was getting back into position. Played as a wide midfielder, crosses either never beat the first defender or reached the conner flag on the opposite side. One of Strachan's blue eyed boys so earned a career at various cubs beyond his ability.

Users who are viewing this thread