I think I'm going to be sick ! (1 Viewer)

stupot07

We'll have to agree to disagree then old boy because the way I see it, if Cov Rugby start in anyway to become Wasps reserves and feeder club, all identity will be lost and the general local Rugby fanbase may as well forget paying a bit less to watch the 2nd team and shell out a few extra quid out of their once a week sporting budget and go and watch the first team at the Ricoh and dump the football club while they are at it. CRFC become stronger than Wasps FFS, in that scenario it's hardly likely is it !?
Ultimately though it isn't Wasps that have caused all this shit, it's successive owners of Coventry City football club who spunked all the money away and the glory seeking types of the locality who will only give real support to their local clubs on event type days when it's almost free to get in and embrace every opportunity to embellish themselves with a 'trophy' type club.

Here here .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

italiahorse

It's shameful bandwagonning that's all. We've had a Rugby team for many years who with some support could be competing in the top echelons but it seems the modern mentality is to try and attach yourself with instant success. A bit of decent marketing and the chance of getting in with the in crowd and some muppets would eat an ice cream full of catshit ! Hey Ho lets just go down the Lucas way though shall we, a Coventry football team from 1883 she's happy to see crumble a tad more every week, A Coventry Rugby team from 1874 who are on the up, made a profit last year and have just won 9 on the bounce who she'd effectively try and sign over to Wasps development and a City dating back sometime to the 10th Century who she'd like to sign over to the mercy of the fucking Brummies in her Greater Birmingham dream, FFS !!

Obviously CovRFC thought the same when they attempted to buy the then PL team Bedford and move them to Coventry and call them Coventry Blues.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

We'll have to agree to disagree then old boy because the way I see it, if Cov Rugby start in anyway to become Wasps reserves and feeder club, all identity will be lost and the general local Rugby fanbase may as well forget paying a bit less to watch the 2nd team and shell out a few extra quid out of their once a week sporting budget and go and watch the first team at the Ricoh and dump the football club while they are at it. CRFC become stronger than Wasps FFS, in that scenario it's hardly likely is it !?
Ultimately though it isn't Wasps that have caused all this shit, it's successive owners of Coventry City football club who spunked all the money away and the glory seeking types of the locality who will only give real support to their local clubs on event type days when it's almost free to get in and embrace every opportunity to embellish themselves with a 'trophy' type club.

Your argument kinda defeats itself. On one hand you get high-handed about the blue-and-whites becoming a feeder club; then scoff when I mention CRFC becoming stronger than Wasps. If you scoff at the latter, then you shouldn't - surely - be against a European-qualifying team blooding some of its best talent in Coventry's team?!?

Again, remember, Coventry can nurture its own talent outside of this agreement. Player development, coaching and RFU pathway remapping purely adds to what's already going on.

If you believe Coventry, without the Wasps initiatives can become stronger than or equal to Wasps, I can understand your view. If you don't, then I can't.

All this being stated in the current framework of where young talent from this region is already routed, I hasten to add

Brighton Sky Blue

Your argument kinda defeats itself. On one hand you get high-handed about the blue-and-whites becoming a feeder club; then scoff when I mention CRFC becoming stronger than Wasps. If you scoff at the latter, then you shouldn't - surely - be against a European-qualifying team blooding some of its best talent in Coventry's team?!?

Again, remember, Coventry can nurture its own talent outside of this agreement. Player development, coaching and RFU pathway remapping purely adds to what's already going on.

If you believe Coventry, without the Wasps initiatives can become stronger than or equal to Wasps, I can understand your view. If you don't, then I can't.

All this being stated in the current framework of where young talent from this region is already routed, I hasten to add

In the unlikely scenario of Cov Rugby even looking like reaching the top division I would expect Wasps to clamp down on the competition rather than help fuel it. It is not in Wasps' interests to have a major rugby rival in the same city and with the Ricoh in tow and established top flight status they hold all the cards. If Cov overtake Wasps it will be through accident, not design.

The Gentleman

In the unlikely scenario of Cov Rugby even looking like reaching the top division I would expect Wasps to clamp down on the competition rather than help fuel it. It is not in Wasps' interests to have a major rugby rival in the same city and with the Ricoh in tow and established top flight status they hold all the cards. If Cov overtake Wasps it will be through accident, not design.

Are you saying that you cannot have two major teams from the same sporting code playing in a city?

Mary_Mungo_Midge

They can't clamp down on it though. That's my point. If CRFC have sufficient momentum outside of any agreement with Wasps, then all Wasps can withdraw is the co-operation. If the blue-and-whites can't do it without Wasps, then it's an irrelevant debate, as they need the Wasps cooperation to achieve their goals. But you can't have it both ways?!?

Brighton Sky Blue

They can't clamp down on it though. That's my point. If CRFC have sufficient momentum outside of any agreement with Wasps, then all Wasps can withdraw is the co-operation. If the blue-and-whites can't do it without Wasps, then it's an irrelevant debate, as they need the Wasps cooperation to achieve their goals. But you can't have it both ways?!?

Don't think it's an either/or case MMM but I do get what you're saying. Either way, the intention is most certainly not for CRFC to reach the same heights as Wasps.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Don't think it's an either/or case MMM but I do get what you're saying. Either way, the intention is most certainly not for CRFC to reach the same heights as Wasps.

Oh yes. Clearly so, I can see that. Wasps this season are aiming for top six and Europe. So in footballing parlance, a Champions League spot. Coventry are effectively good tier three. Very good tier three on good form and with decent players. It's like Bristol City overhauling Arsenal. Very, very hard. Manageable, yes. But hard.

I still see the main benefit as being local talent being 'pathwayed' via Coventry, to stay in Coventry. I can see this sort of scheme taking Coventry - with existing scouting and raw Wasps players to the upper echelons of the second tier. That's when the problems start. I agree with you there. But by then, have Wasps created a beast they no longer control? Do the latent folk of Coventry, who used to turn up in their droves to watch David Duckham, Steve Brain or 'Electric' Eddie Saunders - with whom I had a drink on Saturday - get off their arses and support their local team? So that any Wasps lack of cooperation is nullified by bigger gates? I damn well hope so.

Personally, I would love to see a Coventry team, a true Coventry team, competing in that way. Do I think it's likely? I'd say 50:50. But do I see their chances of progressing to that level without this cooperation as less than 50:50? Yes. That's my logic. Twisted logic, maybe, but there it is

The Gentleman

Absolutely not. I'm saying Wasps wouldn't want it and it's not in their interests to have the competition.

So you think that local derbies/rivalries are not wanted in sport, that they don't create their own unique atmosphere and big interest in the cities and towns they are located in? and that the clubs that play in them would rather have long distance games with no passion and just professionalism.

With regard to Wasps, there seems to be an awful lot of if's and but's and people making calculated guesses based on their own opinions but with no actual hard evidence to back up their claims.

Seems to me that some people are more interested in the demise of Wasps rather than the success of CCFC, I wonder which company will be happy about all the focus on Wasps rather than them............

Brighton Sky Blue

Oh yes. Clearly so, I can see that. Wasps this season are aiming for top six and Europe. So in footballing parlance, a Champions League spot. Coventry are effectively good tier three. Very good tier three on good form and with decent players. It's like Bristol City overhauling Arsenal. Very, very hard. Manageable, yes. But hard.

I still see the main benefit as being local talent being 'pathwayed' via Coventry, to stay in Coventry. I can see this sort of scheme taking Coventry - with existing scouting and raw Wasps players to the upper echelons of the second tier. That's when the problems start. I agree with you there. But by then, have Wasps created a beast they no longer control? Do the latent folk of Coventry, who used to turn up in their droves to watch David Duckham, Steve Brain or 'Electric' Eddie Saunders - with whom I had a drink on Saturday - get off their arses and support their local team? So that any Wasps lack of cooperation is nullified by bigger gates? I damn well hope so.

Personally, I would love to see a Coventry team, a true Coventry team, competing in that way. Do I think it's likely? I'd say 50:50. But do I see their chances of progressing to that level without this cooperation as less than 50:50? Yes. That's my logic. Twisted logic, maybe, but there it is

Even in that best case scenario, Wasps have the Ricoh and Cov have the Butts which can't get anywhere near the same size. Admire your optimism MMM but think it's pure clutching at straws stuff-Wasps will look to siphon off promising players as soon as they emerge and do their best to keep Cov under their thumb. Give them enough for good PR, but no more.

Brighton Sky Blue

So you think that local derbies/rivalries are not wanted in sport, that they don't create their own unique atmosphere and big interest in the cities and towns they are located in? and that the clubs that play in them would rather have long distance games with no passion and just professionalism.

With regard to Wasps, there seems to be an awful lot of if's and but's and people making calculated guesses based on their own opinions but with no actual hard evidence to back up their claims.

Seems to me that some people are more interested in the demise of Wasps rather than the success of CCFC, I wonder which company will be happy about all the focus on Wasps rather than them............

Again I didn't say that, I'm talking specifically about Wasps who are viewing this very much from a business perspective. They can generate rivalries with other established top flight clubs in the region and will not want a rival competitor in the same city. I fully get why the neutral would want it and why rugby fans in the city could be in favour, but not Wasps.

Also might have escaped your notice but a lot of talk here also about the best way forward for the club i.e. as tenants/new stadium/A.N. Other. Wasps' failure would be nice though, no denying that.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Even in that best case scenario, Wasps have the Ricoh and Cov have the Butts which can't get anywhere near the same size. Admire your optimism MMM but think it's pure clutching at straws stuff-Wasps will look to siphon off promising players as soon as they emerge and do their best to keep Cov under their thumb. Give them enough for good PR, but no more.

Without going around in circles. The Butts is it's current size irrespective of Wasps ownership of the Ricoh's leasehold. Current local talent, via the existing RFU roadmap is routed towards Worcester. I respect your view, but do think that - if correctly managed and given the current landscape - local rugby can do well out of this

Brighton Sky Blue

Without going around in circles. The Butts is it's current size irrespective of Wasps ownership of the Ricoh's leasehold. Current local talent, via the existing RFU roadmap is routed towards Worcester. I respect your view, but do think that - if correctly managed and given the current landscape - local rugby can do well out of this

Time will tell, although the RFU should stop shafting its smaller member clubs in any case.

The Gentleman

Again I didn't say that, I'm talking specifically about Wasps who are viewing this very much from a business perspective. They can generate rivalries with other established top flight clubs in the region and will not want a rival competitor in the same city. I fully get why the neutral would want it and why rugby fans in the city could be in favour, but not Wasps.

Also might have escaped your notice but a lot of talk here also about the best way forward for the club i.e. as tenants/new stadium/A.N. Other. Wasps' failure would be nice though, no denying that.

Most modern day sports are viewed at as much as business as they are about sport, Wasps are no different from most other big clubs in that regard.

And yes I probably am trying to put words in your mouth but until this pans out nobody knows for sure, yet some on this forum seem to think they know more than Wasps themselves. If people put as much effort into CCFC and trying to get rid of our owners and not worry about something we have absolutely no control over then CCFC might be in a better place,

SkyBlue_Bear83

Most modern day sports are viewed at as much as business as they are about sport, Wasps are no different from most other big clubs in that regard.

And yes I probably am trying to put words in your mouth but until this pans out nobody knows for sure, yet some on this forum seem to think they know more than Wasps themselves. If people put as much effort into CCFC and trying to get rid of our owners and not worry about something we have absolutely no control over then CCFC might be in a better place,

How can we get rid of SISU though? Any ideas? I guess the Trust could try and initiate some sort of fan takeover like Portsmouth, is that feasible? Would fan ownership work in our unique situation with regards to rent/stadium issues?

letsallsingtogether

The Trust: Mr Eastwood, can you put the minds of Coventry City supporters at ease as this is a very unsettling time.
Mr Eastwood: Yes, I can.
The Trust: Great, thanks.

Trust press release: Future is bright for CCFC as the bloke from Wasps said so.

Funny that coming from a man who believes everything sisu say maybe you would like to take Jan's place then you can suck up to Tim even more and show us all how wrong we were??
And that it was all CCC, acl,wasps ,CT.

Raggs

BSB, any very promising talent at CRFC will already be moving onwards and upwards. But at the moment that sees them going to Worcester. If the RFU remaps, there'll be no change in the talent lost, but it will mean that the talent stays in Coventry. CRFC will likely get to work far closer with Wasps than they do with Wuss, and Wasps will likely be far happier loaning out players due to the very close proximity. Facilities and coaching will likely be shared to some degree as well I'd have thought.

I think CRFC will probably benefit from this, yes if they start knocking on the door of the premiership, Wasps may stop supporting them as much, but I don't know how realistically they could hope to reach that point without cooperation from Wasps in the first place. Of course, if they get a billionaire backer, then it's all irrelevant anyway, but that would hold true with or without Wasps.

martcov

@Grendel. Difference being Glazers are Not stupid enough to either want that to Happen or allow that to happen. So, no I cannot imagine that.

kevinleftpeg

what makes me sick is our asset stripping scumbag owners who have left us with the worse team I have seen. 100% their fault, end of!

torchomatic

Oh stop being a fucking baby for once. I don't believe everything SISU say.

Funny that coming from a man who believes everything sisu say maybe you would like to take Jan's place then you can suck up to Tim even more and show us all how wrong we were??
And that it was all CCC, acl,wasps ,CT.

Brighton Sky Blue

BSB, any very promising talent at CRFC will already be moving onwards and upwards. But at the moment that sees them going to Worcester. If the RFU remaps, there'll be no change in the talent lost, but it will mean that the talent stays in Coventry. CRFC will likely get to work far closer with Wasps than they do with Wuss, and Wasps will likely be far happier loaning out players due to the very close proximity. Facilities and coaching will likely be shared to some degree as well I'd have thought.

I think CRFC will probably benefit from this, yes if they start knocking on the door of the premiership, Wasps may stop supporting them as much, but I don't know how realistically they could hope to reach that point without cooperation from Wasps in the first place. Of course, if they get a billionaire backer, then it's all irrelevant anyway, but that would hold true with or without Wasps.

If more people turned up to Cov games and there was no arrangement with a top flight or otherwise bigger club then they would be able to hold on to their better players for longer and get further up faster. It would then become self fulfilling and see the club rise off its own success.

Ashdown

If more people turned up to Cov games and there was no arrangement with a top flight or otherwise bigger club then they would be able to hold on to their better players for longer and get further up faster. It would then become self fulfilling and see the club rise off its own success.

And therein lies the problem though BSB, all too often in the last 4 years of going down to the Butts, me and my family are leaving the local boozer to go to the match just as the great bulk of the patrons are settling down to Man Utd v Arsenal on the TV in the corner !

Brighton Sky Blue

And therein lies the problem though BSB, all too often in the last 4 years of going down to the Butts, me and my family are leaving the local boozer to go to the match just as the great bulk of the patrons are settling down to Man Utd v Arsenal on the TV in the corner !

Think this is common in most towns/cities lacking a big/ish club.

Ashdown

Credit where credit is due the Telegraph online site seems to have posted one article after another since I blasted them on here about the lack of Cov Rugby coverage. In future though I suggest they get them right out there early and in front of news of the franchise cuckoos !

Covstu

Credit where credit is due the Telegraph online site seems to have posted one article after another since I blasted them on here about the lack of Cov Rugby coverage. In future though I suggest they get them right out there early and in front of news of the franchise cuckoos !

Yes but wait until you see the coverage after the first Wasps game, it will take up half of the telegraph! 'oh and by the way, that football team and other rugby team won too, i think'

torchomatic

Full Colour. Front Page. Betcha.

Yes but wait until you see the coverage after the first Wasps game, it will take up half of the telegraph! 'oh and by the way, that football team and other rugby team won too, i think'

Ashdown

I do still wonder if the outrage on here was fed back to the editing guys, because it was a big coincidence the little reports suddenly appeared almost as a response.

wingy

I do still wonder if the outrage on here was fed back to the editing guys, because it was a big coincidence the little reports suddenly appeared almost as a response.

They had a posting time of Midnight or Zero hours Ashdown,Sunday Night Monday morning ,or Blank as they were embarrassed .

ccfcway

CCFC won ?

Suddenly i am looking fwd to that day

Users who are viewing this thread