I like simple things.... (1 Viewer)

Mary_Mungo_Midge

.... so let's keep it simple.

Our average gate in 07-08 - when SISU arrived: 19,123
Our average gate thus far this season in league games: 10,554

Lost crowd per home game: 8,569
Average match-day ticket cost: £15? (allowing a mix of season tickets, concessions, away fans, posh seats, etc)
Assumed lost match day revenue: 8,569 x £15 = £128,535

Number of home games per season: 23
Lost revenue: 23 x £128,535 = £2,956,305

Let's say, £3m in lost gate receipts, shall we?

ACL's fault the gates have dropped: 0%

Ease with which the club could pay the rent if we weren't £3m down: Very

:thinking about:

skyblueman

.... so let's keep it simple.

Our average gate in 07-08 - when SISU arrived: 19,123
Our average gate thus far this season in league games: 10,554

Lost crowd per home game: 8,569
Average match-day ticket cost: £15? (allowing a mix of season tickets, concessions, away fans, posh seats, etc)
Assumed lost match day revenue: 8,569 x £15 = £128,535

Number of home games per season: 23
Lost revenue: 23 x £128,535 = £2,956,305

Let's say, £3m in lost gate receipts, shall we?

ACL's fault the gates have dropped: 0%

Ease with which the club could pay the rent if we weren't £3m down: Very

:thinking about:

...add in the huge drop in league revenue dropping a division.... oh dear what a crock

stupot07

To be fair is that average attendance a true reflection of the fan base, the season prior to the move to the Ricoh we averaged just under 14.5k in the league at HR, the first season at the Ricoh saw attendances rise by nearly 7k on that and attendances had started to fall anyway before Sisu came in.

Last season at HR - 14,486 (2004/05)
First season at Ricoh - 21,169 (2005/06)
2006/07 - 20,342
2007/08 - 19, 123

So attendances had already started to fall before Sisu came in, potentially just back to the 'normal' attendances we used to have at HR.

Last season we averaged 15,118, which isn't far off what we were getting at HR.

I suppose what I'm saying is reducing attendances is caused by a large number of factors, not necessarily just Sisu.

Incidently we now average 10,746 in the league, we've lost another 4.5k fans although it has to be noted that some of that is due to a reduction of fans in the away end.

Relegation season
Norwich - 24,542
Southampton -17,866

First season in league one
Norwich - 24,657
Southampton - 20, 982

Both teams saw an increase in attendances when they were relegated, whereas we've lost 4.5k. Yeah things have been crap, but at the beginning of the season there was a lot of optimism, we'd signed players, we were the 3rd/4th bookies favourites to win the league and yet 4.5k decide to stay at home, and SIsu have become a convenient excuse (as was Marlon King).

Colonel Mustard

Our stayaway fans are not blameless from this let's be honest

Correct, but honest self-reflection isn't something the broader fanbase does.

We have never filled out our stadiums, regardless of league, spending or ticket price. There is always an excuse, whether it is the need for a new stadium, more investment, lower prices, better owners, better managers etc.

Even now, when the club's existence is very much under threat, the general reaction is to give a pat on the back to those who choose to stay away. Where would we be if the people of this enormous catchment area decided to fill out the stadium for two or three consecutive years?

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Some interesting stats there Stu. The increase in gates when moving to a new ground are well known. On the lead up to SISU's take over, gates across the top two divisions were in decline by some 8% so the trend you elude to was present. However, thereafter they've stabilised to within a few percent, whereas ours have continued to plummet.

You are also correct, insomuch as that many clubs such as those you mention, or Forest or Leicester survived relegation without the effect we have seen. Nearly all with new stadiums have also kept the 'new support' effect their stadium bought about.

The point of the thread here being simple. For every 2,700 or so missing fans every week, the match day lost revenue is worth some £1m - which is the cost of the annual rent we are now being told is unaffordable.

Are all the missing fans SISU's fault? No. A good number? Yes. In my view.

As such, our rental non-affordability issue appears a matter SISU have overseen, or been complicit to the cause of. Even if such was unintentional as a function of naievity

Last edited:

wolfie

To be fair is that average attendance a true reflection of the fan base, the season prior to the move to the Ricoh we averaged just under 14.5k in the league at HR, the first season at the Ricoh saw attendances rise by nearly 7k on that and attendances had started to fall anyway before Sisu came in.<br />
<br />
Last season at HR - 14,486 (2004/05)<br />
First season at Ricoh - 21,169 (2005/06)<br />
2006/07 - 20,342<br />
2007/08 - 19, 123<br />
<br />
So attendances had already started to fall before Sisu came in, potentially just back to the 'normal' attendances we used to have at HR.<br />
<br />
Last season we averaged 15,118, which isn't far off what we were getting at HR. <br />
<br />
I suppose what I'm saying is reducing attendances is caused by a large number of factors, not necessarily just Sisu.<br />
<br />
Incidently we now average 10,746 in the league, we've lost another 4.5k fans although it has to be noted that some of that is due to a reduction of fans in the away end. <br />
<br />
Relegation season<br />
Norwich - 24,542<br />
Southampton -17,866<br />
<br />
First season in league one<br />
Norwich - 24,657<br />
Southampton - 20, 982<br />
<br />
Both teams saw an increase in attendances when they were relegated, whereas we've lost 4.5k. Yeah things have been crap, but at the beginning of the season there was a lot of optimism, we'd signed players, we were the 3rd/4th bookies favourites to win the league and yet 4.5k decide to stay at home, and SIsu have become a convenient excuse (as was Marlon King).
<br />
<br />it should also be remembered that there is high unemployment in this country which must have an impact on football attendances.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

<br />
<br />it should also be remembered that there is high unemployment in this country which must have an impact on football attendances.

Whilst I'm not denying this is a factor, Coventry hasn't fared as badly as many other cities in the last five years; and this hasn't influenced other gates at 'rival' clubs

LewSkyBlue

The bigger pisture, or at least as i interprit things:

lack of good signings/letting our good players go=poor performance
poor performance=poor pesults
poor results=relegation/struggling
poor results + relegation=less people wanting to go
less people going=less revenue
less revenue=less money to spend on players wages/new signings]
and so the cycle continues.

Astute

Even the top clubs have seen a difference. Manure used to have a very long waiting list for a season ticket. Now there is no waiting list.

Astute

I have been asked a few times why do I bother with Cov when Old Trafford is only 90 mins away :(

Users who are viewing this thread