I am beginning to go off Andy Thorn a bit of late (1 Viewer)

Otis

Especially if he comes out with bollocks like this.

DEFENSIVE mistakes cost Coventry City against league leaders Southampton — but manager Andy Thorn could not fault his side for effort.

Saints were deservedly two up at half-time thanks to goals from Richard Chaplow and Adam Lallana before second half strikes from Lukas Jutkiewicz and Clive Platt pegged them back.

Man of the match Guly Do Prado restored their lead ten minutes from time before Steve De Ridder made sure of the points five minutes later.
Thorn said: “First half I thought they did well but we gifted them two goals.

“We showed great character and commitment to get back into the game, which I was really pleased about but then it told on us and we got tired and that’s when they capitalised.

“All four were bad goals. In terms of effort and application I can’t fault the players because they showed real character to come back into it but then we shot ourselves in the foot again.

“As long as they give me 110 per cent, which they did today, then I can’t fault that and if we make mistakes, we make mistakes.”

Did he actually watch the first half or did he have some grit in his eyes than blinded his vision? We were truly dreadful in the first half. Passionless, rudderless, without fight and appetite, without desire. Only after half time did we begin to harry and close down space and try and chase lost causes.

It was this sort of talk that left me totally pissed off with Chris Coleman.

In the 2nd half we began to try and get at them. First half we didn't have a shot on goal or even a single corner. We were awful in that first 45 minutes.

If Andy Thorn believes we did well in that first half he is alone in thinking it.

Last edited:
If that's 110% effort then we should sack the fitness coach. These boys are only fit enough to play for 20 minutes and chase the game for the other 70!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Isn't this a case of telling the media one thing in a statement (usually to justify something to the fans and club), but in reality giving the team a right bollocking after the match? This is a common thing in football.

Otis

If he was talking about the 2nd half then fair enough, but saying the team did well in the first half? That is crazy talk. We were bleedin dreadful and not only poor but the players didn't even seem up for it.

I think the fans would rather he said "We were awful, we can't play for more than 20 minutes as the boys aren't fit enough and the owners won't give us any money for the additional players that are required to make a difference".

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
How much effort IS 110%? Surely if you give everything you've got, then you've given 100%? Where do managers get this 110% figure from? :thinking about:

stupot07

Isn't this a case of telling the media one thing in a statement (usually to justify something to the fans and club), but in reality giving the team a right bollocking after the match? This is a common thing in football.

I agree, it's very common. I suppose he didn't feel like he could publicly criticise them for the second game running.

I'm he tore a strip off them in the changing rooms and will show them the DVD of the game

Otis

If he was trying to stay positive he could have just said “First half we gifted them two goals. We showed great character and commitment to get back into the game though, which I was really pleased about. I can’t fault the players because they showed real character to come back into it but then we shot ourselves in the foot again. As long as they give me 110 per cent, which they did today in the 2nd half, then I can’t fault that and if we make mistakes, we make mistakes.”

Why couldn't he have said that? He let rip on Tuesday for a 45 minute shambolic display but we were really shit and not up for it the first 45 mins on Saturday too. Why are fightbacks great after a poor first half, but good first halves and a poor 2nd half are deemed unacceptable?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
When was the last game that we did better than played well for 45 minutes? Norwich at end of last season perhaps ? We have got to play consistently well for all the game, to be solid strong and composed the whole game. We are not and show no signs of curing this inconsistency. We can blame the finances squad size etc but when that team of 11 crosses the white line i expect them all to compete for the whole game - they dont

stupot07

If he was trying to stay positive he could have just said “First half we gifted them two goals. We showed great character and commitment to get back into the game though, which I was really pleased about. I can’t fault the players because they showed real character to come back into it but then we shot ourselves in the foot again. As long as they give me 110 per cent, which they did today in the 2nd half, then I can’t fault that and if we make mistakes, we make mistakes.”

Why couldn't he have said that? He let rip on Tuesday for a 45 minute shambolic display but we were really shit and not up for it the first 45 mins on Saturday too. Why are fightbacks great after a poor first half, but good first halves and a poor 2nd half are deemed unacceptable?

I vote for Otis to be our next manager, or director of communications!

Grendel

If that's 110% effort then we should sack the fitness coach. These boys are only fit enough to play for 20 minutes and chase the game for the other 70!
McPake was gone after 5 minutes - oh and he is injured again perhaps Andy will extend his contract

cloughie

McPake was gone after 5 minutes - oh and he is injured again perhaps Andy will extend his contract

McPake missed tackle outside the box for 1st goal , 2nd goal went out wide wandered back in and ended up watching them score. before that he failed to get up with his man as they missed a sitter. All in all McPake awfull 1st half.
Would doubt he is nowhere nere fit or if he is ...Oh dear

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Glad someone saw the same game as me Cloughie :) everyone seems to put all the blame on Cameron (not saying he wasnt at fault but not ALL his fault). Also for the second goal did you see Deagan walking back into the box not running!

I think McPake, Deegan and Cody were abysmal on Saturday completely out of the game with respect to timing, pace and awareness.

I know they were not fully fit but even when taking this into consideration they were still woeful - body language suggested all is not well in the camp.

PUSB

Nonleagueherewecome

I think McPake, Deegan and Cody were abysmal on Saturday completely out of the game with respect to timing, pace and awareness.

I know they were not fully fit but even when taking this into consideration they were still woeful - body language suggested all is not well in the camp.

PUSB
Agreed, and OSB-I've hammered all 3 on here regularly after that display!

Deegan seems miles off the pace since his last knock, which is a massive worry as for 2-3 games he's impressed me massively. McPake looked totally out of his depth, or at least unfit to the point where he needs around 6 months we don't have to get fit.

McDonald just looks lazy, which is the inside rumour I was told when he was first dropped from the side. I haven't seen a City player stroll around so ineffectively with their hands on their hips since..well, since Eastwood. He's still chubby and seems no fitter than when he arrived. Sure he needs a preseason, but you don't pick up a positive attitude to work-rate in pre-season; any player should be capable of that.

Whatever AT said to the public, I am entirely sure that he slaughjtered them at half-time. The transformation was obvious and immediate, in tempo, closing down and aggression. Bell brought a lot more energy than Deegan, who he was right to haul off, and the 442 shape gave Saints something different to think about. He also introduced Platt at the right time, who scored. Usually fans applaud a manager for bringing on a player who scores almost straight away, but not on here. I'd say Thorn got all of his in-game switches spot on. I must be the only person who thinks this! I must be insane! NURSE!!!

Starting to go off Thorn, Otis? I don't remember you rating him previously?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I know NLHWC ..... was perhaps a too general "everyone" :) and i agree with the above too

SkyBlue_Bear83

Agreed, and OSB-I've hammered all 3 on here regularly after that display!

Deegan seems miles off the pace since his last knock, which is a massive worry as for 2-3 games he's impressed me massively. McPake looked totally out of his depth, or at least unfit to the point where he needs around 6 months we don't have to get fit.

McDonald just looks lazy, which is the inside rumour I was told when he was first dropped from the side. I haven't seen a City player stroll around so ineffectively with their hands on their hips since..well, since Eastwood. He's still chubby and seems no fitter than when he arrived. Sure he needs a preseason, but you don't pick up a positive attitude to work-rate in pre-season; any player should be capable of that.

Whatever AT said to the public, I am entirely sure that he slaughjtered them at half-time. The transformation was obvious and immediate, in tempo, closing down and aggression. Bell brought a lot more energy than Deegan, who he was right to haul off, and the 442 shape gave Saints something different to think about. He also introduced Platt at the right time, who scored. Usually fans applaud a manager for bringing on a player who scores almost straight away, but not on here. I'd say Thorn got all of his in-game switches spot on. I must be the only person who thinks this! I must be insane! NURSE!!!

Starting to go off Thorn, Otis? I don't remember you rating him previously?
He did make good changes which worked and had a positive impact on the game but I think the first abysmal 45 mins and the changes and the impact they made, showed Thorn started off with the wrong formation and starting line up.

Nonleagueherewecome

I can imagine the AT teamtalk was a bit like those in FM when you hammer them; every so often you get an ambitious player who is playing well and feels let down by his team-mates responding with "Pleased" to the bollocking handed out. On Saturday, that player would have been Cyrus Christie. He looked massively frustrated in the first half, notably with his defensive colleagues and lack of people moving for him in midfield.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Think the biggest difference between the two sides was the movement and speed of passing. Cyrus wasnt the only one looking up wondering how to pass to one of our players, Cameron was also (except his passing is poor in the first place)

It has been the same for seasons. We just dont coach our players to move to space or take a pass on the run. We seem to have to wait for a pass before we move !

Gaz

For me the lack of off ball movement by our players is a huge worry.

Otis

Think the biggest difference between the two sides was the movement and speed of passing. Cyrus wasnt the only one looking up wondering how to pass to one of our players, Cameron was also (except his passing is poor in the first place)

It has been the same for seasons. We just dont coach our players to move to space or take a pass on the run. We seem to have to wait for a pass before we move !

Exactly. And the massive gap between the forwards and the midfield must be a tactic and a crazy one at that. I am convinced that Thorn tells our midfield to sit deep. It's no wonder we are scoring at a rate of less than a goal a game.

CUS Wyken

Exactly. And the massive gap between the forwards and the midfield must be a tactic and a crazy one at that. I am convinced that Thorn tells our midfield to sit deep. It's no wonder we are scoring at a rate of less than a goal a game.

and you think Saturday, both goals came from Southampton mistakes esepcially the 2nd goal. I can't remember a goal weve scored which seen us play some football as a build up. It seems to either come from Crosses or Clingan blinder against Donny.

Otis

Our crosses are coming from deep, mainly from the fullbacks. Can excuse that though as we don't have any proper wingers. What I can't accept though is the manager not telling the midfield to push up when we are in possession. We had more bodies supporting the forwards then the likelihood is that we will create more chances and score more goals as a result. We are hardly creating any clear cut chances in any game.

Users who are viewing this thread