I admit I Got It Wrong (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Not something that comes easy to me but I know that I have made posts supporting Fisher and Waggot for their endeavours in trying to turn this club around.

Saturday showed to me how poor the squad of players really is. Not only that but we saw a supposedly bad team have players more comfortable on the ball and also players with pace and strength. Attributes none of our signings have.

Fisher and Waggot have to hold major accountability for this. They having been at a League One club previously should have had knowledge as to what was really required and then imparted this knowledge to the management team and insisted they seek players needed for a promotion push.

The main failing was of course allowing Thorn to continue blundering on during the summer. The notion he would improve was poor management on their part. Not only that they allowed him to recruit an assistant that sadly proved as unsuited to the role as him.

Then there are the signings they approved. Catastrophic decision making;

Why permit French players (one who cannot speak English) with no league one experience?
Why allow a loan of another Centre Back so we end up with 6 in the squad?
Why did they think Kilbane was signed as a left back and then he ends up playing in midfield and why did they not raise issues regarding his suitability given his age?
Why on earth did they allow the signing of Barton when he had not even played a game after recovering from a serious injury?
Jennings had a trial for a long time yet still was allowed to sign when he clearly is not fit enough for the rigours of league one football.
Elliot has a poor scoring record and his signing was always viewed with suspicion - did they not challenge why he was signed?

These players may be free but there will have been agent fees involved and they are now on contracts which we are commiting to honour. We have wasted the budget the owners have given to us and I dread to think what the end of season report is going to be.

They should have axed Thorn immediately after the Southampton game, appointed a new manager based on set criteria to get promotion.

The club is the Fawlty Towers of football and these two are Basil and Sybil.

Time they saved us some money and fell on their sword.

dongonzalos

I am struggling to think of many positive big key decisions they have made.

I personally agreed with the sticking with AT. However you do one or the other.

Stick with him, back him like they did. But for gods sake don't sack him after three matches and create this mess.

Or like you say Grendel sack him and the manager, who is going to lead us for this whole season signs the players.

What has actually happened is mentel and it is their decision making.

Last edited:

coundonskyblue

With hindsight they should have got rid of Thorn in the summer. Anyone with any idea would have gotten rid of him when the embargo was on, at that point we didnt really need a manager anyway.

Or they should have stuck with him. From their point of view, if Thorn was still here, he would now be getting the stick instead of them.

Otis

Think you have made a very good point there Grendel in terms of opposition players.

From just about every game I have seen this season, opposition players seem to have more time on the ball, be more comfortable on the ball, have more desire, but more likely to win the 2nd ball, be quicker, more agile, are stronger and have better crossing ability too.

Besides all that we obviously have real quality in our side.

SkyBlueScottie

Ref Barton, I always said we would not see anything near his best this season, however his signing is obviously a bit of a gamble, one worth pursuing IMO.

For years we seem to come up against supposedly inferior players, I actually doubt that's the case, imo it all comes down to the culture of the club, really we should have realised Saturday would be a let down, 3 wins on the bounce, bit of expectation and all of a sudden the players obviously thought all they needed to do was turn up....

Mary_Mungo_Midge

A magnanimous admission, Grenduffy. I think we’ve all made calls and judgements on figures and situations in recent times that have proven to be wrong in light of subsequent events.

I have – for a while – had a bee-in-my-bonnet about Waggot in particular. As you’ll have noticed! I was having a look the other day for articles linking us with McGoldrick in the January loan window. I recall us being linked with him at the time; and it was certainly strong in the press in July and August ahead of him arriving. As such, if he was ‘on the radar’ in January, his subsequent joining gives credibility to the fact he was being ‘eyed’.

Now, Waggot joined last December to ‘help Andy Thorn’ in the January market and loan market thereafter. We sold our leading scorer for good cash and signed two youngsters on loan. This at a time when our peers who were around us were signing 7 or 9 players (and seasoned, experienced pros at that) in the case of Notts Forest, Bristol City and Millwall. They then pulled away from us, and the post-Christmas promise we began to show just evaporated when a paper-thin squad couldn’t complete.

The loan window is from when – February 8th to March 22? – and we entered a transfer embargo situation on March 2nd. Waggot’s fault for not getting players in earlier? Fisher’s fault for not getting SISU’s commitment to allow us to trade at this crucial time? I don’t know, but one, of both of them, hold culpability for us not being able to strengthen – even short term – in the same way our peers did.

The look at the managerial situation, it was a joke of Keystone Kops magnitude. To give a manager free-reign over the summer, including bringing in a new assistant, then sack him after three games and the farce that followed thereafter was so amateurish as to be incredible. Why finally bring in McGoldrick 6 days after sacking Thorn, and not bring him in when needed and identified in January? Or the summer? To appease fans angered at their meddling?

As for Robins, I hope and pray he’s the right guy for the job; but I don’t know. How would Robin’s record look without McGoldrick? How would Thorn’s record have looked if he’d been allowed to bring him in when he wanted him in the run-on of last season? Or at the start of this summer?

Their record wasn’t great at Charlton, which I’ve gone on record to explain previously. Sitting where we are in the table, with the rent situation looming large, being held buoyant just above the relegation zone to the fourth – yes, fourth – tier of English football by one man’s goals (who'll surely leave in January), and with some attendances almost halved from the time they took over. It’s a perilous situation.

And a situation that goes way, way deeper than our last manager’s contribution; or his predecessor for that matter….

Last edited:

CJparker

Grendel i don't agree with everything you say, but fair play to admit you've changed your mind.

Personally I think we have a good squad now, for some reason they are not showing it on the pitch - I think we have good players but they are the wrong sort of players, so W+F have to take responsibility for that.

Baginton

We can't really judge Robins until he builds his own squad, that will take time. But he seems to be level headed and talks sence, least he has done ok'ish with this lot he inherited!!

wingy

With hindsight they should have got rid of Thorn in the summer. Anyone with any idea would have gotten rid of him when the embargo was on, at that point we didnt really need a manager anyway.

Or they should have stuck with him. From their point of view, if Thorn was still here, he would now be getting the stick instead of them.
Don't you think they have shifted the focus away from themselves ,all we've had is AT this At that since he went ,the opinion of fans totally shifted with his sacking.
Heres a bizzarre one which i can't substantiate but heard @ the Crawley game and sounds incredible ,meaning it probably is but may explain the events of, the summer and beyond,and the hiatus around the interviews
Allegedly AT was not sacked for footballing reasons but disciplinary conduct,this initiating from a radio pundit who believes that after the game he got into a row with them and let them have both barrels ,no holding back,pluasable who knows but the fact that they gave him the summer and 10 players does raise the question would you do that and sack 3 games in or as KD says at the end of last season.:confused::facepalm::whistle:

psgm1

Banned
Not something that comes easy to me but I know that I have made posts supporting Fisher and Waggot for their endeavours in trying to turn this club around.

Saturday showed to me how poor the squad of players really is. Not only that but we saw a supposedly bad team have players more comfortable on the ball and also players with pace and strength. Attributes none of our signings have.

Fisher and Waggot have to hold major accountability for this. They having been at a League One club previously should have had knowledge as to what was really required and then imparted this knowledge to the management team and insisted they seek players needed for a promotion push.

The main failing was of course allowing Thorn to continue blundering on during the summer. The notion he would improve was poor management on their part. Not only that they allowed him to recruit an assistant that sadly proved as unsuited to the role as him.

Then there are the signings they approved. Catastrophic decision making;

Why permit French players (one who cannot speak English) with no league one experience?
Why allow a loan of another Centre Back so we end up with 6 in the squad?
Why did they think Kilbane was signed as a left back and then he ends up playing in midfield and why did they not raise issues regarding his suitability given his age?
Why on earth did they allow the signing of Barton when he had not even played a game after recovering from a serious injury?
Jennings had a trial for a long time yet still was allowed to sign when he clearly is not fit enough for the rigours of league one football.
Elliot has a poor scoring record and his signing was always viewed with suspicion - did they not challenge why he was signed?

These players may be free but there will have been agent fees involved and they are now on contracts which we are commiting to honour. We have wasted the budget the owners have given to us and I dread to think what the end of season report is going to be.

They should have axed Thorn immediately after the Southampton game, appointed a new manager based on set criteria to get promotion.

Time they saved us some money and fell on their sword.

So when you went out of your way to have a go at me when I said that this team simply isn't good enough - you now agree I was indeed correct!

I'd like to say its nice to hear, but I'd rather have a cov side that could win games than be right about them being useless!

SkyBlue_Bear83

They just bumble from one decision to another

1) Should have sacked Thorn in the summer and allowed a new man to build rather than allow Thorn to bring in his own backroom staff and players when they clearly didn't trust him
2) Having given Thorn there backing they should have stuck him for longer than 3 games then
3) Having sacked Thorn they should have been much more prompt with appointing another manager especially when Shaw proved he didn't have a clue what he was doing very quickly

Paxman II

If I had the time and inclination to sit down long enough i could spin this the other way.
We lost Saturday to a side that we should have beaten. We capitulated yet again and to some that seems much like the continuance of what went before under Thorn.
fact is MR I suggest is coming to terms with the players and the emntal strengths. He is rebuilding confidence, win ugly even if he can because once points get on the board they will play with more confidence as teams do.
The striking problem is some of these players we all thought were decent prospects are failing us at the moment. Either a kick up the backside or moved out in January looms large in the managers thinking this morning.
From what I've seen there is enough to suggest this will turn around and it has been doing so...Saturday could just be a blimp of sorts. Concern rest with the thought that at times we look awful...that has to be MR's main concern and I think the niceties may be over for him.
We win the next couple and this will be forgotten and our improvement is still on corse. So wait and see, it's too early to call out Waggot and co yet.

valiant15

Jeez pax,your like a stuck record. Robins hasn't turned anything around. If you cant see how poor this team is then god help you.

skyblueman

Stopped posting as much about these two clowns as I wasn't feeling the love from a lot of you who were defending them ... honestly glad these two are being brought out the shadows at last because I really do think they are a problem for us... HONESTLY what are they doing for the good of the club.. at all .. ever????

coundonskyblue

Don't you think they have shifted the focus away from themselves ,all we've had is AT this At that since he went ,the opinion of fans totally shifted with his sacking.
Heres a bizzarre one which i can't substantiate but heard @ the Crawley game and sounds incredible ,meaning it probably is but may explain the events of, the summer and beyond,and the hiatus around the interviews
Allegedly AT was not sacked for footballing reasons but disciplinary conduct,this initiating from a radio pundit who believes that after the game he got into a row with them and let them have both barrels ,no holding back,pluasable who knows but the fact that they gave him the summer and 10 players does raise the question would you do that and sack 3 games in or as KD says at the end of last season.:confused::facepalm::whistle:

That would tie in with what Fisher said. Wasn't it something along the lines of "He was sacked for football and non football reasons"?

dongonzalos

They just bumble from one decision to another

1) Should have sacked Thorn in the summer and allowed a new man to build rather than allow Thorn to bring in his own backroom staff and players when they clearly didn't trust him
2) Having given Thorn there backing they should have stuck him for longer than 3 games then
3) Having sacked Thorn they should have been much more prompt with appointing another manager especially when Shaw proved he didn't have a clue what he was doing very quickly

This says it all.

Grendel

So when you went out of your way to have a go at me when I said that this team simply isn't good enough - you now agree I was indeed correct!

I'd like to say its nice to hear, but I'd rather have a cov side that could win games than be right about them being useless!

No a lot of what you say is ultra negative - even after victories. My point is more aimed at those who believe the squad is good enough - it isn't and expectations need to be revised acordingly. From that basis we can move on. Also you have implied nothing has improved under Robins. Some things have and the acid test will be when he can sign players on long term contracts.

They are guilty as they clearly had major reservations about the manager but then did not seem to apply strict controls over him. Consequently poor players were signed and the players were as ill prepared for the season as they were last time. All this should have been avoided.

We now are in a relegation fight and this is something we should never had been in and is ridiculous as our wage bill is one of the highest.

lagger

The best and funniest thing ive read about ccfc for ages
:claping hands:

Chipfat

The more that time goes by these two like the ones before will find it hard to keep blaming and sacking previous managers... Now i agree with AT sacking but it was way to late and now has put mark robbins in a very difficult position, in which he will be hung out to dry when its suits TF and SW to deflect the lack of knowledge the pair of them have in regards to football.

I dont like SISU in fact i hate everything they stand for and everything they have done to this club,, saving us does not and never will give them the right to run our club like a circus while trying to hide all from the fans by binding clauses when the clause suits them...I hope they go or are forced to go before we really are looking at when we play Nuneaton and Bedworth in the league fixture other than a friendly...

Users who are viewing this thread