Hull or Man Utd (1 Viewer)

messiahrobins

If we are one or 2 points off the play offs, or even in 6th spot when the semi final game comes along, given Hull is 2 days after the man utd game, which is the bigger game? And what team do we play v Man utd as no way will players be able to play their best v Hull if they have played at wembley v Manure.
I love the FA Cup and would take winning it over promotion any day. But, realistically the chances of winning the Fa Cup are sadly not that high given the teams left in it, whereas if we are in the play off hunt come April 21st, then promotion is much more realistic.
What do people think?

Kilclines curly mullet

If we are one or 2 points off the play offs, or even in 6th spot when the semi final game comes along, given Hull is 2 days after the man utd game, which is the bigger game? And what team do we play v Man utd as no way will players be able to play their best v Hull if they have played at wembley v Manure.
I love the FA Cup and would take winning it over promotion any day. But, realistically the chances of winning the Fa Cup are sadly not that high given the teams left in it, whereas if we are in the play off hunt come April 21st, then promotion is much more realistic.
What do people think?
Play the strongest team possible.

The play offs in my opinion are out of reach for us this season.

Mucca Mad Boys

Play the strongest team possible.

The play offs in my opinion are out of reach for us this season.
There’s no reason we can’t do both. The playoffs are absolutely not out of reach. I wouldn’t make us favourites but ourselves, Hull and Norwich all have tough games coming up. We’re all going to drop points.

Brylowes

FA Cup all day long, if we don’t make playoffs this season I honestly won’t be to disheartened, think we’ll be stronger still next season & will have a serious tilt at automatic promotion.
FA Cup is a huge deal & to put it into context, this will be only our 2nd ever semi-final appearance in our 140 year history, based on that, literally everyone on this forum could be dust before we get there again.
On top of that, Man Utd are definitely beatable & if Chelsea somehow beat Man City 🤔 so are they.

Last edited:

Hertsccfc

Pretty sure we have done this question in different guises a few times now.

Hull game would be the priority in my view.

Kilclines curly mullet

There’s no reason we can’t do both. The playoffs are absolutely not out of reach. I wouldn’t make us favourites but ourselves, Hull and Norwich all have tough games coming up. We’re all going to drop points.
Totally appreciate your opinion.

In my opinion, finishing top 10 and a semi final is a fantastic season. I don’t see play offs as I think we will run out of steam what with the rearranged fixtures coming thick and fast at the end of April (And taking into account the teams to play in the run in)

I think next season could be even more special with 4-5 new faces.

clint van damme

What do people think?

Fray Bentos

messiahrobins

FA Cup all day long, if we don’t make playoffs this season I honestly won’t be to disheartened, think we’ll be stronger still next season & will have a serious tilt at automatic promotion.
FA Cup is a huge deal & to put it into context, this will be only our 2nd ever semi-final appearance in a 140 year history, based on that, literally everyone on this forum could be dust before we get there again.
On top of that, Man Utd are definitely beatable & if Chelsea somehow beat Man City 🤔 so are they.
I kinda agree although if we beat man utd and Wright Simms and Sheaf and Thomas and MVE have stormers somehow i think we will struggle to keep them this summer. That performance we put in against Wolves (who has a guy in midfield who played for Brazil who they see as their future holding MF wise and who Sheaf owned) was better than many sides in the Champions league put in, but the problem with that is if we dont go up this season, holding onto the core of this team may prove very difficult.
If we keep this squad together with say 5 more quality young additions then i'll be disappointed if we stay in the Championship this season, if we didnt win it next season and get close to 100 points. This is a really special team in the making.

Terry_dactyl

You have to play your best team against Man U. To do otherwise would be absolute insanity.

Just hope they all get through unscathed and without any extra time and then you play your best team against Hull too
Exactly this. I also reckon there’d be some pretty miffed fans if we rock up to Wembley with some of our best players ‘rested’.
As it is, I was think that one silver lining for Palmer being banned is that he will be fresh for the next game.

messiahrobins

Exactly this. I also reckon there’d be some pretty miffed fans if we rock up to Wembley with some of our best players ‘rested’.
As it is, I was think that one silver lining for Palmer being banned is that he will be fresh for the next game.
King dropped the ball not paying the extra 750k for EMC as we could have done with him this run in, even if Sakamoto was fit, but with Sakamoto out, that looks a really brainless decision by King.

Mucca Mad Boys

Totally appreciate your opinion.

In my opinion, finishing top 10 and a semi final is a fantastic season. I don’t see play offs as I think we will run out of steam what with the rearranged fixtures coming thick and fast at the end of April (And taking into account the teams to play in the run in)

I think next season could be even more special with 4-5 new faces.

Our ‘ace’ is that our games are at home. Hull have got Leeds and ourselves away from home and Ipswich at home. PNE have got Norwich, Southampton, Leicester and WBA as well as negative GD.

If I was a betting man, I’d bet on Norwich finishing 6th. Yet, they have to play Leicester (A), Ipswich (H), PNE (A). Our GDs are neck and neck too.

All our contenders and ourselves have 3 tough games and the volume may catch up to us. We’ve got players hitting goal scoring form and we’ve won 3 on the bounce.

I personally don’t think we’ll go up this season and totally agree that next season is ‘our’ year if we add 4-5 real quality players to our club. Even if we miss out on playoffs it’s been a great season!

Terry_dactyl

I thought we could have had him now had we paid the extra 750k?
I don’t think that’s how it was reported at the time. I might be wrong but I thought it was reported that they didn’t want to sell at all in January but King hassled the fuck out of them, and they said ok but these are our terms.

Brylowes

I kinda agree although if we beat man utd and Wright Simms and Sheaf and Thomas and MVE have stormers somehow i think we will struggle to keep them this summer. That performance we put in against Wolves (who has a guy in midfield who played for Brazil who they see as their future holding MF wise and who Sheaf owned) was better than many sides in the Champions league put in, but the problem with that is if we dont go up this season, holding onto the core of this team may prove very difficult.
If we keep this squad together with say 5 more quality young additions then i'll be disappointed if we stay in the Championship this season, if we didnt win it next season and get close to 100 points. This is a really special team in the making.
Players come and go, always will, the players you mention are all tied into contracts so if they have stormers and offers come in, it would be our choice whether to sell or not, if we sell we probably bring in £70m - £80m.
I really hope we do both but feel our understandable slow start to the season & relatively small squad always meant play-offs were unlikely, we’ll definitely be in the mix again next season & the season after & the season after & so on, Are we likely to find ourselves in the semifinals next year & the year after.
Seize the opportunity when it’s in front of you 🤔 you never know if you’ll get the chance again.

Mucca Mad Boys

King dropped the ball not paying the extra 750k for EMC as we could have done with him this run in, even if Sakamoto was fit, but with Sakamoto out, that looks a really brainless decision by King.
No, we agreed a deal to sign him on deadline day but Peterborough couldn’t secure their signings.

So the option was sign him now with a loan back ‘discount’, or risk having to pay more in the summer whilst facing more competition for his signature. MacAnthony confirmed this on a podcast right after deadline day.

We’ve got a good player and it would’ve been short sighted to drop the deal because we couldn’t complete the deal to bring him in immediately.

shmmeee

I thought we could have had him now had we paid the extra 750k?

No. They asked thinking it would put us off, we matched it to their surprise, then they said only with a loan back because they didn’t want to lose him. The chairman had promised the manager he wouldn’t lose any players mid season.

messiahrobins

No. They asked thinking it would put us off, we matched it to their surprise, then they said only with a loan back because they didn’t want to lose him. The chairman had promised the manager he wouldn’t lose any players mid season.
Thanks to all for putting me right on this..and apologies to King

Bernie Rhodes Nose

What do people think?
Both.

stevefloyd

What do people think?
The problem is the prize money, the lure of the lira, if Doug wants a chance at getting to the final and the million prize money just for losing in the final then the add ons of sponsorship tv money gate receipts but at the cost of missing out on the play offs it could backfire and we get nothing so lets enjoy the semi final and concentrate on the play offs and head for the bigger glory

Alan Dugdales Moustache

You have to play your best team against Man U. To do otherwise would be absolute insanity.

Just hope they all get through unscathed and without any extra time and then you play your best team against Hull too
If I get the chance to go to an FA cup final for the second time I'll take that every time over what is, admittedly, an important league game over Hull.
We may never reach an FA cup final again for another generation, but somehow I think that under Robins we may reach the play offs next season if this one goes wrong.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

15 points to get before we play Man Utd.Get them all, draw would do against Hull by then. That would give us 73 points.Almost there.
Remember when we had to win our last 4 games to stay up in the prem . and did it .One of them was against champions Everton .
I can but dream.

Hertsccfc

The time for managing squad minutes has been and gone - at this stage of the season you just have to go for broke.
This is the period above all when we will need to manage individual players minutes in order to maximise their involvement.

Users who are viewing this thread