How would you feel if we... (1 Viewer)

Bristol sky blue

... had Wasps as the sponsor of our away shirt and played in yellow/black stripes away?

I believe that we may already have an agreement in place for the away shirt next year, but can't help feeling that this could be a bargaining chip to get a bigger slice of revenue from the Ricoh from Wasps.

I know many would be up in arms at this suggestion (and that it is highly unlikely bearing in mind the ongoing litigation SISU seem intent on persuing) but I don't think it is as ridiculous as it first seems.
1) We have have yellow/black stripes in our away kit relatively recently (Peugeot kit, late 80s/early 90s)
2) Talbot shirt deal in 80s shows kit can be adapted for a sponsor

P.S. I am definitely not advocating that we should go down the road of 'Coventry Wasps'! Just think that our lack of bargaining power needs to be addressed (and not through continuous court action/posturing/ false PR/ bluff etc. etc.)

Bristol sky blue

No, and I'm not an apologist for Wasps either.
We are well and truly in the shit and may be forced into accepting things we don't want to happen.
I wouldn't want us to do this (and it may well be that most fans who buy shirts would refuse to consider buying one, so we would lose out that way).
Just think that we need to consider all possibilities.
Am off to work now and expect to see a lot abusive replies when I log in later this evening - thanks in advance to anyone who says something constructive!

Nick

Administrator
No, and I'm not an apologist for Wasps either.
We are well and truly in the shit and may be forced into accepting things we don't want to happen.
I wouldn't want us to do this (and it may well be that most fans who buy shirts would refuse to consider buying one, so we would lose out that way).
Just think that we need to consider all possibilities.
Am off to work now and expect to see a lot abusive replies when I log in later this evening - thanks in advance to anyone who says something constructive!
Nobody has said you are an apologist have they? Just a bit of a weird question.

christonabike

Oh Lordy! How low has it got when people are actually saying things like Wasps sponsoring us.:banghead:

Covstu

No thanks, given the current situation I would be extremely pissed off it this happened. We're fighting for our identity in the city and you'd to further compromise that with rebranding our away kit.

Out of interst how much is shirt sponsorship worth? Does anyone know.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Bawtrysky blue might know when his company sponsored Rotherham!

Captain Dart

Maybe Rentokil would be interested in sponsoring the Sky Blues?

rentokil-wasp-nest-spray.jpg

Otis

... had Wasps as the sponsor of our away shirt and played in yellow/black stripes away?

I believe that we may already have an agreement in place for the away shirt next year, but can't help feeling that this could be a bargaining chip to get a bigger slice of revenue from the Ricoh from Wasps.

I know many would be up in arms at this suggestion (and that it is highly unlikely bearing in mind the ongoing litigation SISU seem intent on persuing) but I don't think it is as ridiculous as it first seems.
1) We have have yellow/black stripes in our away kit relatively recently (Peugeot kit, late 80s/early 90s)

P.S. I am definitely not advocating that we should go down the road of 'Coventry Wasps'! Just think that our lack of bargaining power needs to be addressed (and not through continuous court action/posturing/ false PR/ bluff etc. etc.)
Obviously people will indeed be up in arms over such a suggestion.

I do think though that it is fine to at least air any possible solution and put it out there for debate, no matter how unpalatable it sounds.

Moff

So on what belief/facts do you think there is already an agreement in place?

clint van damme

might be time to start operating a referral policy only for membership of this site. Too many rugger buggers posting recently.

ajsccfc

First Cov shirt I ever had was the Asics yellow and black away. We can never go back to that now with all the implications. Brown is therefore the ONLY OPTION.

Otis

First Cov shirt I ever had was the Asics yellow and black away. We can never go back to that now with all the implications. Brown is therefore the ONLY OPTION.
Or, if we are seeking symbolism, black because these are dark times, red because we are left red faced at the moment, yellow because of the cowardly actions of those concerned, green because of Sisu's naivety in the footballing world, white because we might have to wave the white flag of defeat, blue because that is how we feel, grey because there are so many grey areas ...

Zzzzzzzzzz.

lifeskyblue

Colour of the away kit is least of our problems. If yellow and black from wasps sponsorship bought us in more money than anything else then so be it. Not the best solution but I could live with it. The home shirt of white with a bit of 'university blue' shows we don't give a monkeys about our tradition so I'm not going to get excited re the away colour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ceetee

Colour of the away kit is least of our problems. If yellow and black from wasps sponsorship bought us in more money than anything else then so be it. Not the best solution but I could live with it. The home shirt of white with a bit of 'university blue' shows we don't give a monkeys about our tradition so I'm not going to get excited re the away colour.

Sky Blue is not our "tradition".

Before Jimmy Hill rebranded the club my most significant memory was blue and white halves, and I remember a song about "the boys in blue and white"

tisza

or maybe we should change our name to "Coventry Wasps" - the rugby club don't want it so we should use it!!!!!!!!!!
It's bad enough we could end up sitting in black & gold seats let alone wear it as a kit.
Would take a bet it would be the lowest selling away kit of all time.

lifeskyblue

Sky Blue is not our "tradition".

Before Jimmy Hill rebranded the club my most significant memory was blue and white halves, and I remember a song about "the boys in blue and white"

Well for the past 50 years we have been the sky blues...quite a long tradition. Most supporters of the club and most football fans in the country know us as the sky blues. If the club wants rebranding that's fine...in which case we can repackage ourselves in any colour we want including yellow and black., we could call ourselves wasps and have a new song about annoying and stinging the opposition.

The Jimmy hill revolution changed the club significantly and took us from mediocrity to the top table. If we had that impetus following rebranding and we ended up once again in the top flight I would be happy.

lifeskyblue

Although in the early period we did wear sky blue kits on many occasions. Yes 64 years with the nickname sky blues and 79 years with singers, peeping toms, no nickname and bantams.

Otis

Although in the early period we did wear sky blue kits on many occasions. Yes 64 years with the nickname sky blues and 79 years with singers, peeping toms, no nickname and bantams.

No Nickname is my favourite. We should go with that.

Bit like 'We are Millwall, no-one likes us.'

duffer

Forgive me, but I believe that you're simply making this up. On one hand you've got Wasps and CCFC at complete loggerheads over the stadium, the academy and the legal action - and on the other you're telling us that you believe they're going to offer to sponsor our kit.

In essence, I think you're trying to support your personal opinion by provoking some kind of rather odd 'straw man' argument, and/or just trying to start a big row here for the hell of it.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but there's little evidence you've provided here of anything else.

Bristol sky blue

might be time to start operating a referral policy only for membership of this site. Too many rugger buggers posting recently.
Wow... Never been called that one before!
FWIW I absolutely despise rugby (always have done, always will).
I find it sickening to see the Wasps logo on our stadium and am surprised at the level of indifference towards Wasps merchandise being sold on our match days.

Sometimes, situations are so dire that very deeply unattractive and unpopular decisions have to be made. Having a black/yellow away shirt with Wasps as sponsor could be another humiliation we face in future...
(Over the close season I wouldn't be surprised if many yellow/black seats are installed at the Ricoh. That would make my blood boil too).

Samo

I would feel deeply ashamed and embarrassed

Terry Gibson's perm

It seems a good idea to me as soon as they adopt the Coventry name and start wearing sky blue we can wear their colours;)

Users who are viewing this thread