How we miss someone like this (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

Yeah, I used to get sent down the road for The Pink.
Tbh though I can’t really remember great things about wegerle’s time with us...apart from him single handedly destroying Swindon in 1-1 draw that felt like a defeat.
Ndlovu was so exciting though. I remember walking to school and talking with my mates about Bobby Robson saying if he could have any two wingers play for England he’d pick Giggs and Ndlovu!
Wegerle was a disappointment all in all. Certainly think Blackburn got much the better of that deal

Terry_dactyl

Wegerle was a disappointment all in all. Certainly think Blackburn got much the better of that deal
On his day he was unstoppable. For us I think that day was against Swindon. Not sure he did anything else. I remember whatever ‘football focus’ was back then - grandstand? Saint and greavsie? - raving about him when he was at QPR.

Fergusons_Beard

We played at Old Trafford in front of less than 30,000 that season (Bannister 1-0) . It wasnt a great time for attendances
Hooliganism, Cages, Post Heysel/Bradford and just before Hillsborough

Was at that game too-1st away game on my own and in that pen of an away end behind goal.

Brilliant times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mcbean

amazing for a short man how many headers there were - good service from as mentioned before Smith
as an aside had a chat with Speedie after the Crystal Palace game in London - he got sent off for a man to man review with the refs decision - he said it was not repeatable :) - great character

Johhny Blue

Being born in 1983 I don't remember too much of Speedie but I do remember being gutted as a kid also when Gallagher was sold. However, the Wegerle/Quinn strike force that followed was part of my formative years as a city fan. Nostalgia is a weird thing as it often over sentimentalises things but going to get The Pink after another great performance by the Wegerle/Quinn partnership (and later Ndlovu as well) makes me smile right now.
You're not old enough to have nostalgia

M&B Stand

Correct.
Around that time we had the chance to sell Ndlovu to Liverpool for about 3.5 million which would’ve been huge money in them days. Would rather have sold him and kept Gally.
Losing Peter Atherton around that time
to Sheffield Wednesday was also a big blow.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

eastwoodsdustman

Speedie was a great player but I’m sure he’d be a nightmare to manage. Every warm up he’d keep chipping Oggy to annoy him and it worked every time.

NortonSkyBlue

Speedie was a fantastic player but a real shit sadly both for us and for opponents. He had more than an edge though on his day he was truly wonderful hence his move to Anfield.
Now Wegerle was a great player to watch but too little end product. At times he was sublime and with a deft touch. He was magnificent in the Swindon game as he was against Spurs a couple of days before when he got the winner at WHL.
We were blessed that Speedie lead to Gallagher who lead to Wegerle who took us to Dublin(not literally of course)
Oh for players like them today.

Users who are viewing this thread