How shit is this? (1 Viewer)

robbiethemole

Wales and Bournemouth midfielder David Brooks has revealed he has been diagnosed with cancer.

The 24-year-old said he has Stage 2 Hodgkin lymphoma but that "the prognosis is a positive one" and will start treatment next week.

What a shock!! Good luck to the lad and I hope for a speedy and complete recovery

shepardo01

Wales and Bournemouth midfielder David Brooks has revealed he has been diagnosed with cancer.

The 24-year-old said he has Stage 2 Hodgkin lymphoma but that "the prognosis is a positive one" and will start treatment next week.

What a shock!! Good luck to the lad and I hope for a speedy and complete recovery

Have personal experience with this.
Had stage 4 Hodgkins Lymphoma - diagnosed a day after my 18th birthday.

Was at a football club at the time too. Ended any hope I had of a contract.

Was young and fit - and despite it being stage 4 (had spread to my lung) - he has stage 2 - I am still here thanks to the NHS and its staff.

I was zapped with a year's worth of Chemo and then radiotherapy every day for a month. Absolutely ravaged my body, but got rid.
For stage 2, he won't go through all of that over that time period.
They'll go for "a cure" (that's what they said to me) and he'll be monitored for 10 years. The treatment will be even better now than it was 23 years ago for me.

He'll be under contract and very well looked after- like he said, he's lucky that the Wales med staff (perks of being a pro athlete) caught it early.

He'll be out - providing no complications- for 6 months or so at a guess, possibly more.

I'm confident the guy will be OK and I wish him all the very best on his journey. I'd personally contact him to offer any support but guessing he won't want to hear from me!!

I was out of action in pretty much every way for around 15 months but re-evaluated my career, went to Uni and ended up playing again at a decent level despite my body never being fully right - and now having a few long term issues related to the Chemo- I had shit loads of the poison!! - such as severe arthritis in both hips at 43!!!....

It's bad for the guy. But, he has a great great chance to not only get through, but still being a pro. I'll be rooting for him.

wingy

Was young and fit - and despite it being stage 4 (had spread to my lung) - he has stage 2 - I am still here thanks to the NHS and its staff.

I was zapped with a year's worth of Chemo and then radiotherapy every day for a month. Absolutely ravaged my body, but got rid.
They'll go for "a cure" (that's what they said to me) and he'll be monitored for 10 years. The treatment will be even better now than it was 23 years ago for me.

He'll be under contract and very well looked after- like he said, he's lucky that the Wales med staff (perks of being a pro athlete) caught it early.

He'll be out - providing no complications- for 6 months or so at a guess, possibly more.

I'm confident the guy will be OK and I wish him all the very best on his journey. I'd personally contact him to offer any support but guessing he won't want to hear from me!!

I was out of action in pretty much every way for around 15 months but re-evaluated my career, went to Uni and ended up playing again at a decent level despite my body never being fully right - and now having a few long term issues related to the Chemo- I had shit loads of the poison!! - such as severe arthritis in both hips at 43!!!....

It's bad for the guy. But, he has a great great chance to not only get through, but still being a pro. I'll be rooting for him.
Very inspiring testimony.👏👍

clint van damme

Sounds like a similar experience to my brother in laws, never knew you'd been through it.
Though the most surprising think about that post, having met you briefly, is that you're 41, you young looking bastard.

shepardo01

Very inspiring testimony.👏👍
Is what it is.... just a "life experience" for me. Understand that I'm lucky, but also understand people are going through so much worse every day.

By all accounts, I just rolled with it.. but now, being a parent myself (thanks to Walsgrave hospital and my frozen jizz! - awkward when you dad is taking you for your appointment to "produce" it!!), I dread to think/ have only really started to think what my folks/family went through!

Fairly anonymous on here hence the admission on a relevant subject...but don't go round telling people about it.
Only tend to do so if a colleague/friend may have a similar diagnosis and will then share/offer my support.

clint van damme

Is what it is.... just a "life experience" for me. Understand that I'm lucky, but also understand people are going through so much worse every day.

By all accounts, I just rolled with it.. but now, being a parent myself (thanks to Walsgrave hospital and my frozen jizz! - awkward when you dad is taking you for your appointment to "produce" it!!), I dread to think/ have only really started to think what my folks/family went through!

Fairly anonymous on here hence the admission on a relevant subject...but don't go round telling people about it.
Only tend to do so if a colleague/friend may have a similar diagnosis and will then share/offer my support.

they told the brother in law he'd never have kids, he became a grandad for the first time this week!

wingy

It's fantastic though really , the medical intervention and and resultant fatherhood .
Yes your parents I imagine went through the mill .

shepardo01

Back on track - David Brooks has a great chance. And it's great we can say that.
It is quite a weird thing to say, and I was told this, but it is "one of the best cancers you can get"

I'll be following this one closely and rooting for him.

bawtryneal

A very close colleague of mine at work ( aged 41) has just been diagnosed with advanced lymphoma. Just getting started on Chemo
I will point him in the direction of SBT and your motivating words Shepardo01, if I may. Really inspiring words and an inspiration to all the people who moan about bugger all !!!

shepardo01

A very close colleague of mine at work ( aged 41) has just been diagnosed with advanced lymphoma. Just getting started on Chemo
I will point him in the direction of SBT and your motivating words Shepardo01, if I may. Really inspiring words and an inspiration to all the people who moan about bugger all !!!
Of course, fine with me BN.
Never really thought of it as motivating/motivational... just a life story really that was pertinent to the David Brooks story.
Worth bearing in mind, and I learned this through my period of having treatment, there are a few different types of lymphoma, with varying levels of treatment success. Sadly I did see a few who didn't make it, but many that did.
This was 23/5 years ago, and everyone who I have supported in various ways over the years, I have always said that medicine moves on rapidly and things are even more amazing now than they were 10/20 years ago

It he (your colleague) comes on here and wants to private message me about anything related to treatment/recovery, side effects or anything else, I'd be happy to chat.

bawtryneal

Of course, fine with me BN.
Never really thought of it as motivating/motivational... just a life story really that was pertinent to the David Brooks story.
Worth bearing in mind, and I learned this through my period of having treatment, there are a few different types of lymphoma, with varying levels of treatment success. Sadly I did see a few who didn't make it, but many that did.
This was 23/5 years ago, and everyone who I have supported in various ways over the years, I have always said that medicine moves on rapidly and things are even more amazing now than they were 10/20 years ago

It he (your colleague) comes on here and wants to private message me about anything related to treatment/recovery, side effects or anything else, I'd be happy to chat.

Thank you. Really appreciated !
He is a great guy but unfortunately a Derby fan.

no_loyalty

Young Norwich keeper now been diagnosed with cancer, hopefully he makes a full recovery.

Users who are viewing this thread