How much McGoldrick (1 Viewer)

psgm1

Banned
AS McGoldrick will be up for sale Jan, how much do people expect him to cost whoever takes him.

As he is in his final year of contrat it cannot be too high, maybe 100k-250k will be ball park. Saying that at the rate he is going, scoring just over 1 in 2 he is well on target to be a 20 goal / season man in league 1.

Any ambitious team in League 1 would happily fork out that kind of money for that goal record. And unless they change their ways, sisu are not going to pay even that relatively small amount.

I just wonder what is the price tag that would be too high for McGoldrick?

WillieStanley

AS McGoldrick will be up for sale Jan, how much do people expect him to cost whoever takes him.

As he is in his final year of contrat it cannot be too high, maybe 100k-250k will be ball park. Saying that at the rate he is going, scoring just over 1 in 2 he is well on target to be a 20 goal / season man in league 1.

Any ambitious team in League 1 would happily fork out that kind of money for that goal record. And unless they change their ways, sisu are not going to pay even that relatively small amount.

I just wonder what is the price tag that would be too high for McGoldrick?

What? Like the fee they didn't pay for Barton?

With McGoldrick, I don't think it's lack of ambition that will prevent his signing, I think it'll be all down to Financial Fair Play.

stupot07

Mcgoldrick will go to a lower-mid championship team - Barnsley are reportedly interested. The rate he is scoring I imagine he will go for more the top end of your estimate.

Willie's right about the FFP rules, if he went for the highest price (£250k) and wanted a decent whack say £5k pw (£250k per annum) well that's 1/8th of the total £4m budget for the year. That is a lot of money.

With the FFP rules you can't throw money around anymore like Southampton did (£1.5m Lambet, £1m Bernard, etc).

coundonskyblue

What actually is the punishment for breaking ffp though? All that has happened to Swindon is a transfer embargo. As they've already signed their player I fail to see how this is any sort of punishment.

Lord_Nampil

What actually is the punishment for breaking ffp though? All that has happened to Swindon is a transfer embargo. As they've already signed their player I fail to see how this is any sort of punishment.
Swindon are currently under a transfer embargo because they have breached there 65% limit!

stupot07

I think it depends who much you abuse the FFP rules. Yeah Swindon might only have an embargo but they can't strengthen in January, or bring in loan players if they suffer any injuries. The embargo and the inability to bring in players when we had that injury crisis is often cited as the main reason the season nosedived under Boothroyd, which ultimately cost him his job.

wingy

So if he's on £10k at Forrest now how much are we contributing while remaining the right side of FFP. his price £3ook max.

Lord_Nampil

I think it depends who much you abuse the FFP rules. Yeah Swindon might only have an embargo but they can't strengthen in January, or bring in loan players if they suffer any injuries. The embargo and the inability to bring in players when we had that injury crisis is often cited as the main reason the season nosedived under Boothroyd, which ultimately cost him his job.

Fully agree!

valiant15

What fee did they pay for barring then wa,100k? Big deal. Football club in paying for a player shock,hold the front page! He'll be gone in jan,decent players cost half decent money,or command decent wages,maybe that's we find ourselves in the bottom 4 of 3rd tier.

CODY!!!

I wonder if the money from Keogh and Bigi can be used to lure him? hes not on 10k per week. From what i understand its between 4-6k

Paxman II

How much did we pay for Cody? McGoldrick will be a similar price but for the length he has on his contract making him less valuable.
A lot will depend on where everyone is come January. Form, place in the league, wages offered, Forest stance, other parties interested, fair play rules etc.
Going to a loer end club in the championship would be less likely if we are in and around the top six. Much rather a bigger club and the Ricoh than a smaller club maybe a relegation battle huh? as Forest say he is scoring but in league 1. A bit harsh but true.
Forest will gladly take a bit of cash and off the wage bill now rather than nothing and keep paying him until July.

I think a lot will depend on the player being both realistic and recognising what's best for his chances and how we can convince him his best opportunity right now lie here with us.

Covstu

i would love to see him here but unless he is willing to take a big drop in wages he isnt coming here. sadly at the moment he is way out of our price range.

Steve.B50

Stop dreaming!
SISU do not want this club to succeed, they give us little buts of hope and then just take it away. The only reason we have McGoldrick at present was probably because he is free (Forest paying his full wages). We have not paid our rent for 6 months, what have they been doing with that money, spending on wages?
It would be great to keep him here in January but more chance of him sighning for another club. Shame but, SISU are the problem..

skybluedaze

Barnsley are after him. Forest might want to keep him though if there goalscoring doesn't improve. I can't see Cov being able to keep him at the Ricoh at all. Shame, he's been fantastic.

Paxman II

i would love to see him here but unless he is willing to take a big drop in wages he isnt coming here. sadly at the moment he is way out of our price range.

Do you know what his wage is? I doubt anyone actually knows tbf.

cloughie

Regardless of his wage can they not learn from history.

If we had offered King what he wanted it would have cost us the club 1/ 1.5 million and we would still be in the championship.

that cost the club 4/5 million it's not rocket science is it?

looks like we may have to dither around the relegation area in this league as Mcgoldrick is allowed to leave because 'we can't afford it'
Try offloading a few for free and cancelling a few contracts ie Bell he will be off our wage bill. I am sure we could come up with a compensation payment to him if he agrees to cancel his contract that will not count as wages regarding FFP.

Black6Osprey

The fee is only part of the problem (and one we won't be able to afford) as far as we are concerned. It's the wage drop he would have to take that means he will never end up here.

cloughie

The fee is only part of the problem (and one we won't be able to afford) as far as we are concerned. It's the wage drop he would have to take that means he will never end up here.

Agree I will be more than suprised to say the least if we signed him

stupot07

Regardless of his wage can they not learn from history.

If we had offered King what he wanted it would have cost us the club 1/ 1.5 million and we would still be in the championship.

that cost the club 4/5 million it's not rocket science is it?

looks like we may have to dither around the relegation area in this league as Mcgoldrick is allowed to leave because 'we can't afford it'
Try offloading a few for free and cancelling a few contracts ie Bell he will be off our wage bill. I am sure we could come up with a compensation payment to him if he agrees to cancel his contract that will not count as wages regarding FFP.

Bell has 2 1/2 years left on his contract, there's absolutely no chance he would agree to cancel his contract, which is probably worth about £700k.

CODY!!!

SISU being able to buy half the stadium might allow us to spend the income on McGoldrick with the FFP rules that are now in place.

....just saying.

stupot07

Another 3000 fans turning up to home matches would probably help...

...oh well they'll come back when king/thorn/Sisu [insert name] have left the club.....

cloughie

Bell has 2 1/2 years left on his contract, there's absolutely no chance he would agree to cancel his contract, which is probably worth about £700k.

Not even for a lump sum that would leave him free with the possibility to earn more in total with a new club including the 'compensation' payment.
On second thoughts the 'compensation' payment could be payed over a period of time ie length of existing contract

It's worth a try as we need to keep a goalscorer and McGoldrick is the only one we have at the moment

Black6Osprey

Do you know what his wage is? I doubt anyone actually knows tbf.

You can only make an informed guess. We know the average Championship wage is just over £4000 and the average Premier wage is £22000. We also know top players on the Prem can earn up to £200k. I'm not saying times £4000 by 10 to get the highest earners but its safe to assume some players in the championship will be getting £20k and certainly strikers as normally the highest paid position will be getting at least £10k plus. I wish we could off load all of our dead wood and use the money as we need to keep McGoldrick but it's never going to happen. Any money coming in will be used to stem the leak.

wingy

Maybe when he's fit haha,Charlton may re-ignite their interest.I'm puzzled as to this injury that is now,what according to last weeks CTapproaching 6-6.5 months by the time he returns ,ditto the CT stating his boot was about to come off ,yet bbc text stated friday unavailable due to Hip injury.

CODY!!!

Another 3000 fans turning up to home matches would probably help...

...oh we'll they'll come back when king/thorn/Sisu have left the club.....

As fans, we either want to get behind who ever the owners (because lets face facts, there is no billionaire in the wings waiting for us) are and hope they dont sink the club so we have to reform as "FC City of Coventry" in the Evo-Sticks League with our Saturday counterparts....or we can moan about not being able to afford McGoldrick and wonder why we cannot attract any decent players. Players have one thing on their mind, like me and you, and that is how much they are getting paid and not being able to use half of the money from the stadium will keep hurting our chances of ever progressing.

you make up your mind, you're intitled to your own opinion. But as a fan of Coventry, i couldnt care less whos in charge it could be David Cameron for all i care as long as they fund my club so im able to go week in week out and support my team.

cloughie

owning half the stadium is irrelevant any income goes to ACL who we would only have a 50% shareholding and no divedends are paid until the mortgage is paid

IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE

How many times does this need explaining

stupot07

Not even for a lump sum that would leave him free with the possibility to earn more in total with a new club including the 'compensation' payment.
On second thoughts the 'compensation' payment could be payed over a period of time ie length of existing contract

It's worth a try as we need to keep a goalscorer and McGoldrick is the only one we have at the moment

It's a complete non-starter cloughie, and i would imagine that if we were paying it over the length of his contract it would probably count towards the FFP rules anyway.

An opportunity to sign goalscorers for free in the summer (e.g McLeod, etc), but instead AT brought I'm 2 strikers with poor goal scoring records.

CODY!!!

owning half the stadium is irrelevant any income goes to ACL who we would only have a 50% shareholding and no divedends are paid until the mortgage is paid

IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE

How many times does this need explaining

Either way, 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

cloughie

It's a complete non-starter cloughie, and i would imagine that if we were paying it over the length of his contract it would probably count towards the FFP rules anyway.

As for non starter yep i maybe clutching at straws but we have to explore any route to retain a proven goalscorer.

stupot07

Even if we raised cash to put in an offer, the final decision is down to Forest anyway. We need to be looking at a contingency because in all likelihood he's a gonna.....

Users who are viewing this thread