How much have we actually improved under TM? (1 Viewer)

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Haven't been able to get to many games this season but just wanted opinions on how much we have actually improved since SP's departure. Granted TM has had to work with most of SP's signings/backroom staff and has barely been in the building 5 mins - but what are people's thoughts? Is there a noticeable difference in performance, both team and/or individuals?

bringbackrattles

Bit early to say but home form no change and away form better. Mowbray needs a good clean out in the summer that is if he's still here !

skybluetony176

From what I've seen our approach to the way we play has gone from negative to positive. Most elements of our game are much the same, we're keeping the ball on the ground and trying to play a high tempo passing game. The big difference being that the ball is spending alot more time now heading in the right direction. Truth is our squad just isn't good enough to make these attributes count.

Paxman II

A big improvement. Conceding less, wins have arrived and a couple of draws. Home form is an issue due to the atmosphere surrounding the place and how that has affected the players heads as much as anything else. The Ricoh has become like 'Marmite' thanks to SISU's puppets but I have absolutely no doubt TM will address this big time for Saturday.
You can tell there is a professional at the helm. Considering he threw himself in at the deep end it's been pretty good so far. One signing, Grant Ward was identified and made a huge difference, something SP just could not get done.
TM sat out the first game but since then what has it been?....3 away wins, 2 draws and two defeats? (those being at the dreaded Ricoh)
Every confidence the guy will get us promoted next season.

Samo

Silk purse. Sow's ear.

Gazolba

The after-match interviews are a lot more realistic and we can actually tell the guy giving them knows what he is talking about. As for the playing squad, with one or two exceptions, it is the same and we have no realistic hope of anything other than a mid to lower-table finish assuming we stay up and assuming the nucleus of this team remains. We need a complete overhaul.

Last edited:

chiefdave

There's been an improvement for sure. What I've liked is the way he's spoken about the team, he's quickly picked up on things and is happy to let it be known when things aren't good. Of course talking a good game and putting things into practice are two different things.

Lets see what happens when he's had a chance to put his own side together. I would expect having a manager like Mowbray here might help persuade some of his targets to join, if the budget is in the top quarter as we're told then I expect things to be a lot better next season.

cornoccfc

More positive air for sure, I'm sure if someone had time to check the stats too, I reckon they'd confirm it, more possession, more shots etc.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

In a word (or 2) Grant Ward.
However we still have absolutely no one down the flanks who can knock a ball past a defender and run on and cross the ball in . The side look a little more purposeful , though fragile when anyone runs at them. Mowbray can probably get a little more from this team and hopefully that will be enough to keep up up, but it is devoid , horribly, of much ability and he needs to be able to strengthen in the summer .

At this point I'd like to say thanks Tony and good luck in your next job.

pusbccfc

I don't think we have improved that much, take away Grant Ward and we have still been awful.

ccfc_Tom

At home absolutely no improvement, still shockingly bad. Praying Johnson is fit to start at the weekend

phildownunder

Just for the info of a far away fan when is the last time you guys think we had a decent wide player. Offhand I can`t think of a recent one apart from maybe Marshall who was only with us for 5 mins and maybe (you tell me) wasn`t that good anyway.

rupert_bear

Just for the info of a far away fan when is the last time you guys think we had a decent wide player. Offhand I can`t think of a recent one apart from maybe Marshall who was only with us for 5 mins and maybe (you tell me) wasn`t that good anyway.
It is years, width and pace can make a decent side into one that challenges for promotion, I remember back in the day when teams had two, usually one right side and one left, put it this way re-invent Willie Humphries and Ronnie Rees and we would piss this division.

mrtrench

When Mowbray first arrived there was some conversations on here about whether Pressley was just a rotten coach or the team was poor. Although Mowbray has achieved slightly better results that could in part be explained by the normal "new manager bounce". I suspect there is an element of him being a better coach too. I also think it's wrong to assume that Pressley is a terrible manager - when he had a squad of good players to choose from he did very well. What I think he was very poor at was buying good players - almost all of the high performers last year were people he inherited in one way or another.

My conclusion: Mowbray is better than Pressley and the players are poor. Pressley's biggest flaw is that he is a very poor judge of players and his recruitment has put us in this situation - not his coaching.

H

Huckerby

When Mowbray first arrived there was some conversations on here about whether Pressley was just a rotten coach or the team was poor. Although Mowbray has achieved slightly better results that could in part be explained by the normal "new manager bounce". I suspect there is an element of him being a better coach too. I also think it's wrong to assume that Pressley is a terrible manager - when he had a squad of good players to choose from he did very well. What I think he was very poor at was buying good players - almost all of the high performers last year were people he inherited in one way or another.

My conclusion: Mowbray is better than Pressley and the players are poor. Pressley's biggest flaw is that he is a very poor judge of players and his recruitment has put us in this situation - not his coaching.
correct .

Samo

But even then we were shipping goals at a frightening rate. If not for Wilson and Clarke, both exceptional at this level, he'd never have strung 2 wins together IMO.

Otis

At home absolutely no improvement, still shockingly bad. Praying Johnson is fit to start at the weekend

Not entirely true I would say. We weren't shocking against Leyton Orient and should have won the game. Definite improvement on past home games there I would say.

Hobo

But even then we were shipping goals at a frightening rate. If not for Wilson and Clarke, both exceptional at this level, he'd never have strung 2 wins together IMO.

I don't disagree with your observation, but we were shipping goals at a frightening rate before Pressley. We have had the habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for sometime. You always knew if City conceded in the last 20 minutes they could easily ship 2 or 3.

i don't think Pressley was that good or experienced, but he had a passion for the club and I believe a genuine desire to succeed. I don't think he is the big villain people make out, more like one cog in a bigger problem. Considering they handed the rebuilding of the club to an inexperienced manager like Pressley they didn't put much support around him to achieve it.

TM has much more experience and it is early days yet. I don't think he will fair that much better in all honesty unless he gets the right level of support.

duffer

My gut feel is that Mowbray at least sends the team out with the intent to try to win games. Sometimes I got the feeling that SP was more worried about trying not to lose.

For all of that I don't think SP was quite as bad as some are saying, but I'd certainly rather have Mowbray.

Nick

Administrator
For the first few games the actual differences were noticeable. Even when drawing we had 3 on the halfway line waiting to go on the counter attack to try and win rather than everybody back to defend.

LJC_CCFC

My gut feel is that Mowbray at least sends the team out with the intent to try to win games. Sometimes I got the feeling that SP was more worried about trying not to lose.

For all of that I don't think SP was quite as bad as some are saying, but I'd certainly rather have Mowbray.

Oh but he was.

torchomatic

Which speaks volumes about our home then, doesn't it? After all, it's the same team that plays home and away. It's the Ricoh that's the problem.

LJC_CCFC

The only thing I would currently critique of TM, is his inability to realise that Willis isn't a RB and Phillips is.

KG7

The only thing I would currently critique of TM, is his inability to realise that Willis isn't a RB and Phillips is.

Willis is solid defensively, but his deliveries are shocking. With Phillips on the flank we would have had many more balls into the box at Notts.

I like TM but I think if we had Pressley we'd be in a similar position to the one we're in now.

Users who are viewing this thread