How much difference do managers make? (2 Viewers)

Terry Gibson's perm

Although we did all dodgily beat them when champions and they played the kids last game. We won 4-1 and stayed up. Cetyaonly cant be bitter at them for anything like that Wimbledon game though or we'd be as bad as Sunderland fans.

Hate is probably a bit strong dislike would be better

rob9872

I was ok with a bit of Scouse hating, just thought you needed a better reason :)

Warwickhunt

If you look at the managers we've had, the likes of Mowbray, Dowie, Boothroyd, Reid and Adams have all won promotion to the PL from the Champ. None of them had huge big-bucks behind them at the time - did they all turn into crap managers when they joined us by complete coincidence?
I think it's more of a case that we turn managers into crap

skybluegod

Yeah, there's plenty of research that says the manager's kind of irrelevant long-term to a club's progression.

Our past 20 years definitely back that up too!

Ferguson? Wenger? Nigel Adkins and Southampton? Sean Dyche with Burnley? Would argue all of these managers were pretty relevant to the long term at these clubs.
It depends on how the club acts... if they care about the clubs long-term progression or about short term results.

Ashdown

Managers at CCFC seem to get caught up in the general negative malaise surrounding the club. They are also provided with a ready made excuse to fail provided by universal fan hatred of the owners. On saying all that though if someone with half a brain was given £5 million to get promotion I think it would be achieved as this is a crap league.

bringbackrattles

Troy Deeny of Watford who has seen a lot of managers at his club. He has stated before the players aren't bothered really, because as professional footballers they know their roles, and he said most of them dont listen to them anyway. He commented also they could do better without a manager !

skybluesam66

Troy Deeny of Watford who has seen a lot of managers at his club. He has stated before the players aren't bothered really, because as professional footballers they know their roles, and he said most of them dont listen to them anyway. He commented also they could do better without a manager !
ask most people on a shop floor - they would probably say the same, but they would very quickly lose direction

Gazolba

why have a manager if they make no difference ?
Someone has to be interviewed after the game. Someone has to accept the accolades after a win and be the scapegoat after a defeat.

SkyBlueZack

Managers at CCFC seem to get caught up in the general negative malaise surrounding the club. They are also provided with a ready made excuse to fail provided by universal fan hatred of the owners. On saying all that though if someone with half a brain was given £5 million to get promotion I think it would be achieved as this is a crap league.

Imagine going to work and not putting a shift in. Week in, week out. When questioned about why, your response is the owner don't put a shift in/doesn't care/never see him or her. Do you think it would be accepted? Footballers are no different. Just like everyone of us when we go to work, we have to be professional and do the job to the best of our ability. Surely professional pride comes into it to? I worked at a company who went into administration due to management errors. We were the first company to come out of administration without stopping a production line. Everyone pulled together, why can't footballers?

skybluetony176

Imagine going to work and not putting a shift in. Week in, week out. When questioned about why, your response is the owner don't put a shift in/doesn't care/never see him or her. Do you think it would be accepted? Footballers are no different. Just like everyone of us when we go to work, we have to be professional and do the job to the best of our ability. Surely professional pride comes into it to? I worked at a company who went into administration due to management errors. We were the first company to come out of administration without stopping a production line. Everyone pulled together, why can't footballers?

Everyone pulled together when we went into administration and moved to Northampton and the manager who did that ended up getting sacked due to poor performances. Hero to Zero.

Footballers and football managers are human like the rest of us. Players will respond to the manager and that cycle continues up regardless of profession. If the manager gets demotivated because of what’s happening above him eventually players will respond to that in a negative way. We seen that with Presley, Mowbray and for all we know it could be happening again now. Both SP and TM went from not being able to do anything wrong in the early days of their tenure to not being able to do anything right later on. Why is that. We’re now in a situation approaching that with Robbins, the call for the saviours head are getting louder after every game. There has to be a reason for this pattern doesn’t there?

SkyBlueZack

We're not the only club who employs managers who start well and drop off. Koeman at Everton. Shakespeare at Leicester. Do they have owners as shit as ours? I'm not saying the owners don't influence things, I'm saying there not the sole influence. How could we be so shit in the league last year but beat oxford at Wembley? There is clearly more to it than just owners being shit or players being shit. My point was if the players are being paid and provided with the right facilities but don't turn up, them and the manager have to take a share of the blame.

Let's agree to disagree now, I don't fancy ruining my morning going round in circles.

skybluetony176

We're not the only club who employs managers who start well and drop off. Koeman at Everton. Shakespeare at Leicester. Do they have owners as shit as ours? I'm not saying the owners don't influence things, I'm saying there not the sole influence. How could we be so shit in the league last year but beat oxford at Wembley? There is clearly more to it than just owners being shit or players being shit. My point was if the players are being paid and provided with the right facilities but don't turn up, them and the manager have to take a share of the blame.

Let's agree to disagree now, I don't fancy ruining my morning going round in circles.

If it was as easy as paying wages and providing training facilities everyone would be top wouldn’t they. We’re no different from any other club in providing the basics. It’s bigger than that and whatever “it” is it’s a common denominator regardless of the managers experience, credentials and history.

Grendel

I don’t see a connection between the managers and owners in any kind of conspiracy theory way

In fact it’s a myth to say that the manager turnover is worse under these owners. The mcginnity era was a permenantly revolving door and if you take out the long servers - Milne, strachan and Sillett it’s always had quick turnover.

These owners actually are slow to react and appoint poorly. Coleman was as dumb as you get as he’d got no experience for this league. The clueless oaf even signed Eastwood after wolves refused to loan him as they knew it would expose fitness and altitude issues. Boothroyd was in decline so again absurd. Thorn wouldn’t have been considered anywhere else.

Other clubs would have fired Mowbray when the cracks were coming. Instead they became gaping chasms. Allowing Venus to play football manager was also absurd.

I suspect the current situation will drift too long as well - again robins would be axed by December unless things change at most clubs.

Managers are mostly short term sticking plasters. You don’t build long term in football. You deliver an expectation. If you don’t you get fired and if you over deliver you get head hunted. It’s not a normal profession.

These owners hang on to duds too long or employ complete duds who couldn’t manage to even tie their own shoelaces let alone manage a club.

Grendel

SkyBlueScottie

Uh? Watford have had 7 managers in 4 years!
Read the article, stability behind the scenes, and other people not the manager responsible for putting the infrastructure in to place. Where as we are reliant on the manager doing the job, or at least have been.

Grendel

Read the article, stability behind the scenes, and other people not the manager responsible for putting the infrastructure in to place. Where as we are reliant on the manager doing the job, or at least have been.

So sacking managers every 6 months has no impact at all?

Users who are viewing this thread