How many do we need? (1 Viewer)

CovScott88

Lets say hypothetically, that Gary Hoffman's takeover has gone through. He has said that Andy Thorn will get funds to strengthen the squad, regardless of the amount, how many players do we think we are short of, to realistically be competitive in this league (I.e. Challenging in the top half)?
This is assuming all of our players are fit and available.

I'mARealWizard

One Million Dollars!

dr-evil.jpg

Sterling Archer

Challenging in the top half? Another 4 or 5 goalkeepers should do it.

All joking aside, I'd say we need a left back, two attacking midfielders and two strikers (one to play alongside LJ and the other to compete with him for his place).

Jimthor

I reckon top half might be as few as 2 good players away. Chuck a goalscorer and a good creative midfield player into the side and i don't think we'll be a long way off. We pass the ball around well already, but lack that creative spark and ability to create and put away good chances.

cornoccfc

an attacking midfielder and striker is the priority

After that just having cover options for every position- once suspensions and injuries hit, the squad looks very lightweight

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
with everyone fit probably 2 players - a forward and an attacking creative midfielder. Dont think AT needs massive amounts of funds to do that

The key to it all isnt the signing on fees but the wages to be paid - that will be the same for SISU, GH or any one else

Sterling Archer

Also as Sunderland seem to think he's second choice, get Westwood back in on loan. Yes, I appreciate this is quite overreactionary as Murphy has only played 4 games so far, but he scares me.

CovScott88

I'd agree with you guys. Personally, I only think we are short of a creative midfielder, a striker, a pacey attacker and a big strong box to box midfielder.
Our biggest problem is injuries though. We always seem to pick up a couple of long term injuries, aswell as having a few niggly ones across the season.

Last edited:

procdoc

I think we need a left back, an attacking midfielder, two strikers and a genuine pacey winger. I know we don't play with wingers but having that option available for variation could win you games. In terms of forwards we need someone who is clever, reasonably quick and a proven finisher. who that is I haven't a clue! The attacking midfielder needs to be someone capable of creating something out of nothing, chips in with goals and basically puts bums on seats, not sure who again though!

skyblue_rich

It's not about how much money you have, it's who you buy. Ipswich have spent a lot of money on wages and transfer fees on players like chopra, bowyer etc. Yet they have got of to a bad start. Middlesborough last year spent loads on scottish players and that didn't work out. Let's hope AT can find a few gems if he is given money to spend

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
Have to agree with most of the above, we seem so flat at the moment and with the amount of injuries aswell well need a attacking mid and a proven goal scoring striker plus more cover in positions around the team for all these injuries.

kg82

I think we need a left back, an attacking midfielder, two strikers and a genuine pacey winger. I know we don't play with wingers but having that option available for variation could win you games. In terms of forwards we need someone who is clever, reasonably quick and a proven finisher. who that is I haven't a clue! The attacking midfielder needs to be someone capable of creating something out of nothing, chips in with goals and basically puts bums on seats, not sure who again though!

I get what you mean but, being a team fixed in the bottom half of the championship for however many years now, would a winger (better than the options we have now) come to that team to be an option available for variation?

I hope this offer Hoffman's putting in today is sensible and serious. As fans it seems we're getting more desperate for anything to clutch at. I feel like the really needy mate that nobody really likes at school but is just left to be a follower! Goddamn, I want to be popular again!

As for the players we need. I'd say 2 strikers, a midfielder that gets forward, gets goals and sets up goals. I kind of agree with Sterling although I'm willing to give Murphy a chance to prove me wrong. That dropped catch at the end of the Watford game I was thinking "oh, here we go again". How you drop a simple catch like that is beyond me. He got lucky too, striker hit the ball straight at him. BUT, like I said, if he can cut those stupid mistakes out then he'll be decent for us and I'm willing to give him a chance.

SkyBluePryce

I've said for a while we need an attacking player with genuine pace, whether a winger or a striker. We haven't had anyone with pace since mifsud. We're far too obvious we just pass the ball around at a slow tempo, and though better on the eyes, its fairly easy to defend when the opponents know we haven't got the players to spin of them and make a darting run behind the defence or take them on with flair (Raw Baker style). Having a couple of players who can do this makes the opponents think and often change the way they defend. As it is now opposing players can mark as tightly to our players as they like without the fear of being turned. Where as with players with pace and/or flair, defenders will be more reluctant to mark tight and therefore more room for players to control the ball, turn and attack. We've been missing this since McKenzie (before injuries) and mifsud. But we would all want to see a goalscorer upfront with juke. I personally am not convinced about 'ALF' He looks very much the same mold as 'ROD', and makes me think why after 2 good seasons he's still at R'ham.

So a goalscorer, pacey winger/striker, creative midfielder.

kg82

I've said for a while we need an attacking player with genuine pace, whether a winger or a striker. We haven't had anyone with pace since mifsud. We're far too obvious we just pass the ball around at a slow tempo, and though better on the eyes, its fairly easy to defend when the opponents know we haven't got the players to spin of them and make a darting run behind the defence or take them on with flair (Raw Baker style). Having a couple of players who can do this makes the opponents think and often change the way they defend. As it is now opposing players can mark as tightly to our players as they like without the fear of being turned. Where as with players with pace and/or flair, defenders will be more reluctant to mark tight and therefore more room for players to control the ball, turn and attack. We've been missing this since McKenzie (before injuries) and mifsud. But we would all want to see a goalscorer upfront with juke. I personally am not convinced about 'ALF' He looks very much the same mold as 'ROD', and makes me think why after 2 good seasons he's still at R'ham.

So a goalscorer, pacey winger/striker, creative midfielder.

I don't think we play like that all the time. Some of our counter attacking on Saturday was excellent - especially on the right with Christie (who, by the way, has blown me away so far this season - very impressed!). It's hard to pass the ball quickly though when there is a lack of movement in front of you and that is where I think the problem lies. It's not necessarily someone with pace we need, it's someone who continually moves and drags opponents out of position. Just in my opinion.

rob9872

An experienced midfielder in the Dennis Wise style, a goalscorer in the ilk of MK last season and BT to return from injury would be plenty imo.

CovScott88

I don't think we play like that all the time. Some of our counter attacking on Saturday was excellent - especially on the right with Christie (who, by the way, has blown me away so far this season - very impressed!). It's hard to pass the ball quickly though when there is a lack of movement in front of you and that is where I think the problem lies. It's not necessarily someone with pace we need, it's someone who continually moves and drags opponents out of position. Just in my opinion.

I think that last line typifies why Marlon King was so good for us and for Juke. His movement was immense, always dragging players out of position and creating space.

SkyBluePryce

to be fair wasn't there on saturday, as i've been working weekends during the summer, whilst away from uni. But against leicester theres no creativity, pace and i agree with you a lack of movement. I think Clingan is overrated by many on here, biggy looks a better player right now let alone the future. His set pieces are overrated (especially corners), he's still one of our better players, however, against leicester there were so many occasions he was urging keogh and cranie forward when either of them had the ball as they dribbled the ball past him. Why isn't he getting in space and providing an option in a more attcking area. I agree Christie has looked and sounded good.
I realise i'm probably gonna get 'attacked' for criticising Sammy. But it's my opinion.

procdoc

I have to disagree about clingan, he's obviously instructed by the manager to remain deep lying. I personally think one of him or Gael should be moved to the tip of the diamond as they are the only two that can see a pass and who can shoot

rob9872

You're not going to get attacked mate, you're entitled to your opinion (even if it's wrong :) ). Sammy is unbelievably good and links everything. If we had options, Gael who looks very promising would be the one to miss out imo as he does the same role (although we're playing him right side fo diamond) as Sammy but Sammy is currently better. I've read CC was many peoples MoM on Saturday and whilst I thought he was good, for me SC was the class act again and we're lucky to still have him in our current plight.

SkyBluePryce

I agree, he's our player who lies deepest out of the 'diamond'. However he's more forward then the defenders and more creative, so he should be wanting to recieve the ball in a more advanced position- especially when we're loosing. Players, especially our captain, should be able to use their initiative.

kg82

to be fair wasn't there on saturday, as i've been working weekends during the summer, whilst away from uni. But against leicester theres no creativity, pace and i agree with you a lack of movement. I think Clingan is overrated by many on here, biggy looks a better player right now let alone the future. His set pieces are overrated (especially corners), he's still one of our better players, however, against leicester there were so many occasions he was urging keogh and cranie forward when either of them had the ball as they dribbled the ball past him. Why isn't he getting in space and providing an option in a more attcking area. I agree Christie has looked and sounded good.
I realise i'm probably gonna get 'attacked' for criticising Sammy. But it's my opinion.

Not Sammys job in my opinion. He's in there to clean up and lay balls off and I think he does that well. Not attacking your opinion though and I'd actually agree with set piece deliveries! But then nobody seems to be able to pick a pass in that last 3rd of the pitch. Bigi, I thought, looked a little lost in the game against Leicester and started off a bit like that against Watford but he grew into the game. Amazingly quick feet, holds the ball well and can pick a pass. A couple of times he panicked but that can be cut out. Looks a great prospect. I'm just amazed at Christie. His willingness to get forward and take players on is so refreshing and when he gets the ball you feel confident he can get past his oponent. Also, that last ditch block he put in on Saturday was outstanding. While everyone else stood around appealing for offside he didn't wait for the whistle, dis his job, THEN let his feelings be known. THAT'S the way it should be done. Older, more experienced defenders, please take note.

SkyBluePryce

You're not going to get attacked mate, you're entitled to your opinion (even if it's wrong :) ). Sammy is unbelievably good and links everything. If we had options, Gael who looks very promising would be the one to miss out imo as he does the same role (although we're playing him right side fo diamond) as Sammy but Sammy is currently better. I've read CC was many peoples MoM on Saturday and whilst I thought he was good, for me SC was the class act again and we're lucky to still have him in our current plight.

I did say he's still one of our better players and he does have a good range of passes and as you say links play well, but he shouldn't be taking our corners for a starter and if sheffers (who has been awful) is playing should take the free kicks. I just think in certain situations he has to use his head and realise sitting back isn't required.

Users who are viewing this thread