How did the new boys look tonight ? (1 Viewer)

Yeah, he wasn't great. Again tonight. But Malaga played well enough alongside Wood, so I don't think we need to write Brown off as shit after these two outings... more hope that he can do a job in the position he is going to look strongest in.

Martin180

It is encouraging that we are still looking at players .Obita scored tonight for Pompey , another one we missed out on :(

Hopefully we will bring in another 2-3 players before the window shuts

Nonleagueherewecome

Yeah, he wasn't great. Again tonight. But Malaga played well enough alongside Wood, so I don't think we need to write Brown off as shit after these two outings... more hope that he can do a job in the position he is going to look strongest in.

Exactly, he wasn't dire, did some good stuff for a guy clearly out of position, but looks like he has poor concentration and an error in him. Like tonight...which cost us the goal.

stupot07

Exactly, he wasn't dire, did some good stuff for a guy clearly out of position, but looks like he has poor concentration and an error in him. Like tonight...which cost us the goal.

He was dire, I'm not say he is shit, just he played poorly today. That one pass in the first half where he cushioned a volley inside to a sheff united player when the nearly scored .

I know he was out of position but like I said lots of posters were saying how great he is and can playe CB//RB/LB//DCM. When Cameron, Clarke and Christie are fit I expect him to be 4th choice CB and 3rd choice RB. A strange signing really

Nonleagueherewecome

I'll say it again, 3 fantastic through balls second half, Cyrus doesn't have the technique or vision to pull off that kind of pass! I noted them as they were right in front of me.

Martin180

He was dire, I'm not say he is shit, just he played poorly today. That one pass in the first half where he cushioned a volley inside to a sheff united player when the nearly scored .

I know he was out of position but like I said lots of posters were saying how great he is and can playe CB//RB/LB//DCM. When Cameron, Clarke and Christie are fit I expect him to be 4th choice CB and 3rd choice RB. A strange signing really
But probably on peanuts .I remember reading when Macheda scored in the PL that he was only on £1k a week so i reckon Brown wont be on a lot more

stupot07

I'll say it again, 3 fantastic through balls second half, Cyrus doesn't have the technique or vision to pull off that kind of pass! I noted them as they were right in front of me.

And? Do you conveniently forget the poor position play and poor passes and partial fault for the equaliser because of 3 passes?

stupot07

I am hopeful he will turn out to be a better bet at centre back than Cameron.

Why are you a man u fan? I would prefer the player we actually own to turn out to be the better player personally.

I'm not saying that he is a shit player, I'm just pointing out that on the whole he was poor and in a way was lucky that Sheffield united also played very narrow so he didn't have an winger to mark for the majority of the game.

Nonleagueherewecome

And? Do you conveniently forget the poor position play and poor passes and partial fault for the equaliser because of 3 passes?

No, just pointing out that he did some good things as well.

What are you, a Man City fan? :p

Early days but...
Malaga - looks quality
Barton - shocking tonight, not sure which player some fans on here were watching saying he was superb??
Jennings - decent, reminded me of Mickey Gynn
Brown - trying to impress too much, but can definitely cut it in this division as a RB or CB
Elliot - looks sharp, did 10 times more than Cody
Kilbane - not his best game, but he has experience & class

Why are you a man u fan? I would prefer the player we actually own to turn out to be the better player personally.

I'm not saying that he is a shit player, I'm just pointing out that on the whole he was poor and in a way was lucky that Sheffield united also played very narrow so he didn't have an winger to mark for the majority of the game.

No, because both are playing for Coventry City this season in League 1, Cameron doesn't always fill me with confidence and I am not so sold on Brown being shit all season in the games he plays at centre back. I didn't think he was great against Yeovil or tonight, I hope he can do a job if we need him.

kg82

Early days but...
Malaga - looks quality
Barton - shocking tonight, not sure which player some fans on here were watching saying he was superb??
Jennings - decent, reminded me of Mickey Gynn
Brown - trying to impress too much, but can definitely cut it in this division as a RB or CB
Elliot - looks sharp, did 10 times more than Cody
Kilbane - not his best game, but he has experience & class

I agree with most of that apart from Barton. That bloke didn't give the ball away, did the simple things well, set up attacks and worked unbelievably hard getting back - at one point he put in a last ditch tackle in the 6 yard box. But then we all see things differently I suppose.

Grendel

I have some sympathy with him as he clearly was not comfortable as full back but the first half was as bad as it gets. Don't get the positives about Kilbane either and Barton looked uncomfortable. Elliot looked good in the second half but was anonymous in the first and will get red cards galore if he dives in like that all the time.

stupot07

I have some sympathy with him as he clearly was not comfortable as full back but the first half was as bad as it gets. Don't get the positives about Kilbane either and Barton looked uncomfortable. Elliot looked good in the second half but was anonymous in the first and will get red cards galore if he dives in like that all the time.

Kilbane was very poor

Grendel

Nathccfc

Murphy- 6 didn't have much to do, couldn't do anything for the goal and was saved by woody with the clearance off the line.

Brown- 5 thought he had a poor game, a few misplaced passes and often hoofed the ball up to the front two. Improved second half as he was playing the balls into the channels.

Wood- 6 a reasonable game maybe at fault for the goal could have possibly got ahead of the forward, headed most things but too much hoof ball for my liking.

Malaga- 8 impressed me the most today, headed everything and was very composed and relaxed, first half hour never put a foot wrong and found the right passes and some were superb and then had a couple of misplaced ones, but overall a good performance, also nearly got on the goal sheet twice!

Hussey- 6 had a good game, running up and down the left like usual, one thing that I picked up on was that he kept playing it inside (maybe because we play a narrow diamond?) found himself in a lot of space at times on the left and I wished he could have called for it more.

Jennings- 7 also impressive, very much the same sort of build as deegan but much more composed. A stocky guy, who seemed to protect the back four quite well, even though a couple of times was out of position. Ran his socks off and passes simple! Hopefully he can make this position his own.

Barton- 6 tall and lanky, good touch for a tall guy played some good football and will come good after a few more games under his belt could be an important player, looked a little leggy coming towards the end of the game perhaps could have been changed.

Kilbane- 6 didn't break any records or set the world alight, just got on with his job. Provided some experience in the middle or park and seemed to talk to hussey quite a bit. Could prove vital, in that respect. Just misses that extra bit of pace from a few years ago.

Baker- 5 had a poor game in my opinion, didn't seem to have the strength or stamina to keep up with the game. His passing was poor and most of the time lost the balls, missed fleck in this position, hopefully fleck can stay fit after this and run the game from this position.

McDonald- 6 quiet game for him, ran his socks off and jumped for everything that was hoofed up to him even though he didn't win many. Provided the touch for goal all be it probably a fluke.

Elliot- 6 again had a similar game to McDonald ran his socks off and took his goal very well! Ran the channels well during the second half, extra couple of inches to his height and he could have had a second.

Subs- well Macca can't really comment as he didn't have much time on the pitch and also didn't touch the ball much or get involved.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I agree with most of that apart from Barton. That bloke didn't give the ball away, did the simple things well, set up attacks and worked unbelievably hard getting back - at one point he put in a last ditch tackle in the 6 yard box. But then we all see things differently I suppose.
I thought his tackling was poor, lunging in off balance and I don't think he did anything out of the ordinary on the ball. He didn't play any passes that I wouldn't expect any competent player to make

Black6Osprey

After a poor first half where non of the new guys stood out(Elliot at least put some effort in and jennings was okay) I thought second half Elliot continued to impress and Malaga did well as did Jennings. Barton was a bit anonymous for me and Kilbane didn't have one of his better days but two games in a week for an older player was always going take its toll. The most disappointing thing was yet again we took lead and despite the midfield looking very tired with about 20 left we don't make any changes to see the game out. We take Elliot the best player on the pitch off and leave the midfield taking on water and sinking fast.

Mucca Mad Boys

Malaga - defended well but distribution poor, Jennings played very well. Barton looked tired near the end but covered a lot of ground during the game. Elliot and Cody chased everything ( even the nonsense high balls). Baker touch and go throughout. Hussey had a good game. Kilbane, in my humble opinion was imense.

Agreed! Although I'd say Malaga's distribution was decent bar 2 awful passes (anyone who went would know what I'm on about!)

ccfc_Tom

I thought brown was absolutely terrible. So many misplaced passing, poor first touch at times, i know hes not a right back but his positioning was so bad. Malaga and Wood partnership impressed me a lot aswell as jennings. Needed ball on alongside cody or elliot in my opinion due to so many hoof balls. ( that malaga header was deffo over the line).

shmmeee

I thought brown was absolutely terrible. So many misplaced passing, poor first touch at times, i know hes not a right back but his positioning was so bad. Malaga and Wood partnership impressed me a lot aswell as jennings. Needed ball on alongside cody or elliot in my opinion due to so many hoof balls. ( that malaga header was deffo over the line).

Where do you sit? I'm in block 24 so just away from the goalie and I thought it was no way near, would be interested if it looked in from elsewhere.

shmmeee

I thought his tackling was poor, lunging in off balance and I don't think he did anything out of the ordinary on the ball. He didn't play any passes that I wouldn't expect any competent player to make

Yeah but this is L1 so competent players are at a premium.

Nonleagueherewecome

Where do you sit? I'm in block 24 so just away from the goalie and I thought it was no way near, would be interested if it looked in from elsewhere.

Block 21, nice height, it was miles over, I've never been surer of anything at a football match in my life. I was looking to see if they'd given a foul in the build up or something as I was completely perplexed-as were a lot of our players. If this happened at a bigger club it would be all over the TV..are Sky showing it on SSN?

Astute

Thanks for agreeing with lad about Jennings. He will get better though. As I posted before lad said he would start OK, but would need a few games to settle in and sort his fitness out. Give him a couple more weeks and we will have a good DM. Did the same at the start of each season at Motherwell.

ashbyjan

Malaga - looked composed, willing to throw his body into blocks, distribution cultured (apart from one bizarre first half pass), won most aerial battles - could become a strong partner for Wood
Jennings - all action nuggety midfielder, got stuck in, won the ball, used it well, looked to make space - in fact he was everything Deegan wasn't - could be a very good player at this level
Elliott - worked tirelessly, ran the channels well, harrassed defenders and took goal well. Unsure if he and Cody will make a good partnership as they are too similar. Would rather see one or the other alongside bigger man.
Barton - showed flashes of talent, looked composed but gave ball away trying trick on edge of own area but he's young and will develop.
Kilbane - looked slow and didn't influence game as much as hoped, his lack of mobility restricted Hussey going forward. Is he past two games a week like this division demands? Time will tell but early indications are sadly yes.
Brown - has ability but like his brother does everything well for 99% of the time then commits a howler which inevitably leads to a goal. Looked uncomfortable at full back and would probably be better suited to midfield where a lapse in concentration doesn't lead to a chance for the opposition. Least impressive of new comers.
Overall on this showing: Jennings, Barton and Malaga - possible gems Elliott - OK Kilbane and Brown - jurys out

kg82

We were right behind the goal tonight, block 31. Could see clearly from there it was over. The defenders leg that cleared it was well behind the line and the ball was trapped under his foot for a second. Worst thing was, the ref and lino were in perfect positions.

Si80

Jennings = Our new Clingan. Ball went backwards or sidewards more often than it went forwards. Also, he's more right footed than Deegan was, and I never thought I'd see a person who used one foot more than him.

Barton. Needs to learn where and when he can try and play a little trick pass. 15 yards in your own half with 15 minutes to go isn't the time nor the place. Otherwise, put a shift in last night and looked shattered with 80 mins gone.

Brown. As per Barton really with regard to playing silly passes at silly times. But to compound his night his further passing was poor bar a couple of "line" balls in the 2nd half.

Elliot. Ran his socks off. Great finish. Too short to fit into our long ball tactics (same goes for Cody). If we manage to get the ball down and put it into space / feet then him and Cdy will score for fun this season.

MOTM - Wood. Stepped up to the plate last night and filled Keogh's shoes in my eyes. Should be captain too.

thechase

Despite many peoples opinion i rate Kilbane. We have missed an experienced midfielder for a few seasons and he is constantly talking to his teammates, covering gaps, playing simple balls, still has a decent fitness level and in the last few minutes but a beauty of a cross in which just evaded the strikers.

Users who are viewing this thread