How damaging could the current run of games be? (1 Viewer)

We lost to Shrewsbury when high on confidence, next game is a tough one that has a good chance of being a beating at Spurs and then we are back home against Preston who we recently drew with.

Essentially we may be out of two cups and a loss in the league within a week and a half. If this happens how do we think MR and the squad will react?

We have obviously been high on confidence, but this could really knock that.

Otis

If if if!!

If I was a polar bear then my bottom would be freezing.

Let's talk about Spurs on Saturday. Lose that and then we can talk about Preston. Lose that and then we can talk about any effect it might have.

If if if!!

If I was a polar bear then my bottom would be freezing.

Let's talk about Spurs on Saturday. Lose that and then we can talk about Preston. Lose that and then we can talk about any effect it might have.

No lets talk about what could happen Otis and how we see the current run could affect the team and future performances. I personally hope we don't get a drubbing at Spurs (just a bit of a beating will be fine) and then march on in the JPT. This hopefully won't affect the confidence at all.

smileycov

Facebook User
I doubt the guys will be looking at winning at Spurs, yes they will give it there all, but a defeat (heavy or not) will be no surprise. Besides, i think we are made of sterner stuff these days and i am sure the lads will be keen to put the Shrews defeat behind us quickly.

Otis

No lets talk about what could happen Otis and how we see the current run could affect the team and future performances. I personally hope we don't get a drubbing at Spurs (just a bit of a beating will be fine) and then march on in the JPT. This hopefully won't affect the confidence at all.

But Rich you are talking about a premise where we lose 3 in a row. We have just got beaten for the first time in 2 months.

Things have really been on the up and we are just 5 points behind 6th place.

Too many if's in there for me and it does seem a bit negative after such a brilliant run.

wingy

I could'nt help taking this line of thought a step further,negative unfortunately,but we're spending money like confetti,wheres it coming from.
What if it runs out,and for a bit of fun ,and may be unpalatable who would we be competing against next year ie. Who's coming down?

TheHellion

It shows just how bad things have been over too many years, that after our first defeat in some time time, suddenly people are back to "what could happen if we lose this. this, and that?".
We were unlucky yesterday. Against Spurs, the expectation will be to lose. But I still firmly believe the squad has a stronger mentality now, I do not believe the Spurs result will be as heavy as the Arsenal result. And I still feel we are in a position where we can compete with any other team in this division.

Personally, I have grown completely fed up with always looking at the negative side of what could happen. Let's not forget the fantastic run we've just had. I see no real reason for any negativity to creep in from myself just yet. It's a time, at least on the pitch, for positivity.

Sorry I'm not getting negative because of the one loss. I'm thinking Spurs is always going to be a beating and I have been worried about Preston since we couldn't beat them last time.

Cov City Daytrader 87

Essentially we may be out of two cups and a loss in the league within a week and a half. If this happens how do we think MR and the squad will react?

Concentrate on gettting out of the league. Of course if we don't, then there's another chance of going for another JPT run next year.

Otis

Thing is here too, we are all expecting to lose against Spurs so that game is an irrelevance.

We lose that and no heads are going to drop from the players. As long as they put in a half-decent effort the spirit will be fine for Preston.

And you are forgetting ..... our name is on the cup!!

dongonzalos

We lost to Shrewsbury when high on confidence, next game is a tough one that has a good chance of being a beating at Spurs and then we are back home against Preston who we recently drew with.

I would take been out of all the cups if it meant top six

kingharvest

I'm quite positive as to how they'll react because so far, the evidence suggests we'll react positively. If you look at the recent run of fixtures:

Lost to Notts County
Lost to Brentford
Won 3 on the bounce

Lost to Scunthorpe
Won the next 2

Drew to Portsmouth
Won the next 4

Drew to Preston
Won the next 2 (against teams we thought we'd lose to).

Lost to Shrewsbury
Win the next 2???????

SkyBlueScottie

Hopefully not as bad as you after a single defeat.

Sorry I'm not getting negative because of the one loss. I'm thinking Spurs is always going to be a beating and I have been worried about Preston since we couldn't beat them last time.

Arsenal battered us, so what? As KH said above and its something I have said also, each time we give an iffy performance / loss under Robins we have come back and got stronger each time.

Covstu

The defeat saturday was disappointing but put it down to a bad day at the office, we could have easily won the game by 3-4. I would have been more concerned if we created no chances which certainly not the case.

I dont care about the FA cup, i just worry if we get battered that it could knock confidence, spurs are on fire at the moment. The Preston game is a bigger game which we have to turn up to more importantly. I hope we dont go 'all out' at spurs and be absolutely knackered for the preston game (simialr to what we did after birmingham cup game) but i think MR has us playing better and is more than aware of all of these concerns. In Robins we trust.

ICHAN

I don't think spurs will stuff us, I think they will play a weakened side and just do what they have to do to beat us, they have more impotant prem games and form to concentrate on than putting out their strongest team to beat us, plus they have always been great games against spurs so I don't think they will have it all their own way and the lads will put up a good show of themselves, also there is always shocks in the FA cup so who knows.

Either way the league has got to be our priority, think we need to get out of this league at the 1st attempt IMO or we could end up stuck here for a few years.

Astute

I fancy our chances against Spurs. We will get chances. Our players will be playing for fun and not league points. We have as much chance of a draw as getting hammered. Just remember we are playing away :D

I fancy our chances against Spurs. We will get chances. Our players will be playing for fun and not league points. We have as much chance of a draw as getting hammered. Just remember we are playing away :D

It would be amazing if we could get a replay at the Ricoh.

Mucca Mad Boys

I'd rather us lose at WHL than get a replay and lose, just another 90m for the players to play which may have a harmful affect on our form.

Astute

Money is more important than playing an extra game. plus the buzz from getting a draw. Other clubs have extra games in the league to us as well.

SkyBlue_Bear83

carlisle,tranmere,oldham,preston in jan left

if we can win 3,draw 1 that will be ok
Tranmere and Oldham at home, 6 points and getting are home form on track is going to be important in those 2 games. Pretty confident of beating Carlisle but Preston will be a tough game although there home form is poor also

Johnnythespider

As long as the fans stay with the team as they did at the emirates i don't think shipping a few goals saturday will have much affect on confidence, it's worth remembering after that game we had 3 wins and 3 draws in the next 6

Greggs

Bollocks to a replay, the FA cup is meaningless to us.
I hope everyone has a lovely day out, we avoid embarrassment and smash Preston on Thursday. :pimp:

Last edited:
Bollocks to a replay, the FA cup is meaningless to us.
I hope everyone has a lovely day out, we avoid embarrassment and smash Preston on Saturday. :pimp:

The Fa Cup is another source of income, which we all know is greatly required at the moment. If we could get a replay, a sold out Ricoh would be somewhere in the region of half a million quid for the coffers. This could buy a player like McGoldrick.

covcity4life

yeah,whilst im not hugely interested in spurs game i think it would be magnificent for the club if we got a replay down the ricoh

Greggs

In theory i agree with you Rich, but in reality money earned from any cup tie is never going to effect what goes on on the pitch.
Watching City win the JPT, at Wembley, should surely be every Coventry Fans dream at the moment.

Greggs

yeah,whilst im not hugely interested in spurs game i think it would be magnificent for the club if we got a replay down the ricoh

I disagree, I've seen it all before. We need to concentrate on achieving at our own level, before we hope to over achieve at a level above our own.

Skyblueweeman

I think I'm the only one who fancies our chances at Spurs. Whether it's important or not, something keeps telling me that we could be the underdog springing a surprise for a change..and that's not thinking about 1987. So many times in the past years we've played 'smaller' teams and been on the receiving end of an embarrasing result.

It's our turn now to do so and although there's a massive gulf between to two squads in terms of quality, with the squad we have and with MR in charge, this is our best chance of a causing an upset in years.

WM

Greggs

I think I'm the only one who fancies our chances at Spurs. Whether it's important or not, something keeps telling me that we could be the underdog springing a surprise for a change..and that's not thinking about 1987. So many times in the past years we've played 'smaller' teams and been on the receiving end of an embarrasing result.

It's our turn now to do so and although there's a massive gulf between to two squads in terms of quality, with the squad we have and with MR in charge, this is our best chance of a causing an upset in years.

Nope, we may outscore sides in league 1, but we also concede a few. Spurs will tear us apart at the back.

sky blue john

Spurs & the JPT mean nothing the league getting promoted is priority. I would swap both cup games for the three points we lost yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread