How can SP say this squad is better???? (1 Viewer)

Glen

To start with GK Murphy top draw for me allsop awful yesterday. Defence lost Clarke so worse, midfield should never have got rid of baker and attack well where do I start Wilson, Clarke etc. I am aware we have to sell but SP this squad is shite FACT

Evo1883

I think its more a case that the players he has in are playing out of position .
obrien , swanson naturally wide men . Clarke and pugh are not wing backs .None of the players are looking comfortable in the new system , especially fleck lately .
strikers getting zero service having to try and create their own chances
i think if pressley persists with this formation , with some of the games coming up , we could be in a very worrying situation come the end of october

pusbccfc

An awful lot is needed to be done.

Realistically he needs two goalkeepers in. If he wants to play wing backs he needs two of them.

Most of all he needs a Frank Moussa or a Carl Baker type player who would score 15 goals and create 15 goals from midfield.

As I've said before, our midfielders will struggle to score 11 between them, which was what Baker got last season playing less games.

Kingokings204

To start with GK Murphy top draw for me allsop awful yesterday. Defence lost Clarke so worse, midfield should never have got rid of baker and attack well where do I start Wilson, Clarke etc. I am aware we have to sell but SP this squad is shite FACT

I hugely agree how he can boast a better squad or team is just wrong. Clarke and Wilson to Jackson and tudgay. Please. Murphy to alsopp are leagues apart literally. Murphy was class for us. Baker was better than any rubbish out yesterday whether you love him or hate him his record in league one is there. Moussa with great goals and a great playmaker to Swanson or whoever no in the same league again literally.

All that along with the shit 3-5-2 which doesn't help. Not hard to see only 3 games won all season by the odd goal. Staying up in the seasons goal. Ive said this from day one. Playoff talk was just fans rightly being encouraged by back to back wins but it soon goes. Even if we win the next 3 games it is still to avoid relegation.

Otis

This squad is 10 games in, FACT.

RFC

At it again are you, this is the same players that went 7 unbeaten!

How do you account for that?

Otis

As someone said, when we go ahead the system works okay on the whole, but when we are behind and chasing games this system doesn't create enough goalscoring opportunities for us and we look rather powder puff then.

skybluetony176

The problem ain't the players he's bought in. The problem is that last season we had a squad that was short on numbers and depth meaning only the first choice eleven could cut it so once we lost any of that first choice eleven we were exposed. It's the same this season. All the player's bought in was to replace players last season. Last seasons squad wasn't built on it was replaced. That's the issue.

stupot07

The problem ain't the players he's bought in. The problem is that last season we had a squad that was short on numbers and depth meaning only the first choice eleven could cut it so once we lost any of that first choice eleven we were exposed. It's the same this season. All the player's bought in was to replace players last season. Last seasons squad wasn't built on it was replaced. That's the issue.

The big difference is last season we had the 2 of the 3 best strikers in the league this season we haven't. Baker, moussa and murphy made little difference once Clarke left in January.

You say that last seasons squad hasn't been built on but 6 of our usual starting 11 were all here last season. Pressley and Waggot have made a mistake of not replacing them adequately, which part down to the change in formation in pre season,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

savosdad

Banned
Maybe SP has'nt got a clue, but he's got a 4 year contract back of the Net !

Nick

Administrator
In terms of players on paper I don't think we are that bad. On paper doesn't get us results though so I guess the system needs to change to suit the players.

SkyBlue_Bear83

In terms of players on paper I don't think we are that bad. On paper doesn't get us results though so I guess the system needs to change to suit the players.

We're not that bad compared to the rest of league 1, compared to the players we had last season we're much worse off in the first 11. Only position you could argue we have strengthened is central defence with Johnson. Full backs, midfielders and strikers are all worse.

Nick

Administrator
I think now we went to the Wing Backs then losing Christie is a loss but if we were to go 4-4-2 and Clarke was just meant to defend then we might even be a tiny bit more solid there depending who we put on the right.

Centre Midfield we need to strengthen most but that hasn't changed from last season really apart from when we put Moussa there sometimes. It could be said it is stronger now we have O'Brien in the middle than last season.

Strikers I am not so sure, last season we were creating loads of chances and if Jackson or Nouble were getting the same service last season they would score a few!

Otis

Exactly Nick. We do have some good players here and I would say Fleck, Johnson, O'Brien, Jackson, Clarke, Webster, Thomas, Haynes, Nouble should all be good enough for this division.

We need a system that fits the players, not players that we just try to fit into a system.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think now we went to the Wing Backs then losing Christie is a loss but if we were to go 4-4-2 and Clarke was just meant to defend then we might even be a tiny bit more solid there depending who we put on the right.

Centre Midfield we need to strengthen most but that hasn't changed from last season really apart from when we put Moussa there sometimes. It could be said it is stronger now we have O'Brien in the middle than last season.

Strikers I am not so sure, last season we were creating loads of chances and if Jackson or Nouble were getting the same service last season they would score a few!
Adams was better than Haynes and Pugh imo. Clarke is probably better defensively than Christie but we had Clarke last season also, so losing Christie inevitably makes that position weaker.

Midfield is significantly weaker without the goals and assists of Moussa and Baker and I can't believe you're even debating whether we are weaker at striker.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Adams was better than Haynes and Pugh imo. Clarke is probably better defensively than Christie but we had Clarke last season also, so losing Christie inevitably makes that position weaker.

Midfield is significantly weaker without the goals and assists of Moussa and Baker and I can't believe you're even debating whether we are weaker at striker. (at least up till January last season)

Seaside-Skyblue

Midfield is significantly weaker without the goals and assists of Moussa and Baker and I can't believe you're even debating whether we are weaker at striker. (at least up till January last season)
Yeah I thought Adams would have suited this formation down to the ground. He was quite similar to Haynes really and we would have had two attacking wing backs.

Gazolba

In terms of players on paper I don't think we are that bad.

We don't play on paper, we play on grass. All of our top scorers from last season have gone. Baker, Moussa, Clarke, Wilson, plus our number one goalie. All have been replaced by vastly inferior players. Don't forget even with all those players last season, even discounting the 10-point deduction, we came nowhere near the play-offs. You simply cannot expect us to do anything other than to struggle against relegation.

letsallsingtogether

And in my opinion Baker was better then any of those on the park yesterday!!!
We don't play on paper, we play on grass. All of our top scorers from last season have gone. Baker, Moussa, Clarke, Wilson, plus our number one goalie. All have been replaced by vastly inferior players. Don't forget even with all those players last season, even discounting the 10-point deduction, we came nowhere near the play-offs. You simply cannot expect us to do anything other than to struggle against relegation.

Kingokings204

I wouldn't most certainly say Baker is not better than O'Brien for sure.

That's not the point. The point is baker is proven at this level and a fans favorite. Why fuck him off when there is no better? Because he is a decent player on good money.

Yes overpaid etc but arguably our best player. That's the point.

stupot07

That's not the point. The point is baker is proven at this level and a fans favorite. Why fuck him off when there is no better? Because he is a decent player on good money.

Yes overpaid etc but arguably our best player. That's the point.

We couldn't afford to keep paying his £8k per week wages

Last edited:

stupot07

Last 16 League Matches
W 3 D 5 L 8

Don't see what last season results got to do with this seasons performance. We were in free fall with nothing to play with at that point, we were never going to get relegated and we were never going to get promoted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

ecky

Don't see what last season results got to do with this seasons performance. We were in free fall with nothing to play with at that point, we were never going to get relegated and we were never going to get promoted.

You have to win your home games in this league minimum requirement.
The facts are pressleys system is failing and the players we have just can't play that way

stupot07

Our home form this season is P5 W3 D1 L1 10 points - 2 points per game. Absolutely nothing wrong with our home form (lack of excitement aside). Exact same form as 2nd place Peterborough and 4th place MK Dons.

It's our away form that's the big concern.

P5 W0 D2 L3

Last edited:

Otis

Very true. Completely different team this year and we have changed the system too. Bit unfair to compare it to last year. Comparing how SP is doing of course is a different matter. You can look at how he has done over a period of time, but players wise, we almost have a new team out there this season.

lewys33

The team have had a couple of bad games and the world is going to end again I see. I thought about adding my thoughts about the new players and the squad but it alwas came back to "he had a bad game on Saturday but........."

The only new players I don't like are Allsop and Tudgay.

We are 10 games in, 4 points off Play-offs and 3 points off the relegation zone. CALM THE FUCK DOWN CHAP. Let's see where we are sitting at Christmas and then feel free to jump on any bandwagon you like.

If we get 6/7 points from the next 3 games I assume you will be planning your trip to Wembley?

Warwickhunt

The Preston Team pressurised us from the off and never gave up thats why we played poorly because they would not let us play, so SP has got to come up with something that gives us the ability to get out of the strangle hold these team put us under

lewys33

Preston were very physical and bullied us around the pitch. Our team is small and not very physical. We were never going to do well against that really. I expected more fight from the players but when you are getting battered like that, and the ref is doing nothing to help you then you might just have to take it on the chin and move on to the next one.

Blame Pressley? Yes I think you can. He had no plan B, that was clear. As long as they can move on from this and stay positive then it is not the end of the world. Hopefully Pressley is starting to realise he needs a back up plan.

duffer

I don't think it's time to press the panic button yet, but this was a grisly performance. From what I've seen so far this year, most of the players we've got look like average League 1 sloggers to me. Haynes, Fleck and O'Brien are the only ones I can see that might be able to play at a higher level, Allsop on this showing might well end up playing at a lower level.

It's hard to judge the front pair in fairness, because they were feeding on scraps all game. In my head I'd got Tudgay as a wise, crafty line-leading forward, looking to play in an energetic pacey Jackson - on the pitch though they looked like strangers. As I say, maybe a bit unfair because every ball they got seemed to be worked through the middle and with their backs to goal, and no support within twenty yards. That does make it harder for strikers, imho.

The only thing I really don't understand is that last year SP was talking about a high-tempo, hard-press, quick-passing game, based on 4-4-2, being our clubs "DNA" (going from the youth teams upwards). Yesterday was a long way from that.

Also I can't believe that our players aren't fit, but I thought a few of them looked very leggy on Saturday (notably, Swanson). Are we overdoing the physical stuff in training perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread