House External Insulation (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Anybody had this done? I always see it is about 6 or 7k for a Semi Detached.

But then I see people getting it done who no way have 6 or 7k to spare for it?

I have looked at grants, but it is still a decent amount of money to have it done.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I looked into this last year while I was extending & renovating my house.....I also found lots of negatives with the external pad/clad systems....

After chatting to my builder & doing a bit more research, I plumped for a posh insulating pre-coloured render mix instead......worked out at less than 1/2 the price, it looks great & should never have to paint it.

clint van damme

got it done last year. Really like it, definitely works but got it done by a lad I know who's got a good rep.

Initially cost me £8,000 but got about £7,000 back.

Couldn't get a grant for the back of my house because it's extended and got cavity walls and that cost me about a grand to have colour matched and it's a fraction of the area!

Think the grants have stopped at the minute.

Nick

Administrator
got it done last year. Really like it, definitely works but got it done by a lad I know who's got a good rep.

Initially cost me £8,000 but got about £7,000 back.

Couldn't get a grant for the back of my house because it's extended and got cavity walls and that cost me about a grand to have colour matched and it's a fraction of the area!

Think the grants have stopped at the minute.

How did you go about getting the grant?

clint van damme

How did you go about getting the grant?

Applied to the company the lad who did mine subbys to. Had to have an energy assessment which was £160, (which I got back), then once I qualified through that they sent me out the necessary forms.

Marty

The green deal has finished for the time being. Likely to not return for a few years too. They have reached the 2020 target for carbon reduction or whatever it was.

Rockwarm do still have grants available but it's via another scheme. But the grants are next to nothing. Think it was something like 20%. So you will still end up splashing out 5k+.

The stuff is brilliant though. If you're planning on staying in the house for 20 years it's well worth the outlay. If not, don't bother, you'll never see a return on the investment.

Covstu

Marty is right, green deal was stopped so all of the EWI works stopped suddenly, same as boiler installations etc. Just wait until May or June where they may release more funding or a new scheme

wingy

How much is it likely to be with things like the Green Deal?
You're probably as well off sourcing your own Builder or plasterers/renderer but find someone you can trust through recommendation.
The trouble with Govt schemes and nominated contractors can lead to inflated quotes.

Nick

Administrator
You're probably as well off sourcing your own Builder or plasterers/renderer but find someone you can trust through recommendation.
The trouble with Govt schemes and nominated contractors can lead to inflated quotes.

Might ask the plasterers I have used before if they do it.

I think I might just paint the house for the time being as it was only really for cosmetic reasons!

wingy

Green deal I paid 1500 , the actual cost was 9.500
Bargain!
Guess the point I'm trying to emphasise is the cost through doing it through a central body than an Individual sourcing a contractor.
How many elevations for that price robbie?

Users who are viewing this thread