Hotel and McDonald's Plans by the Ricoh Rejected (2 Viewers)

ajsccfc

5 Guys is very expensive, but then if there are a few of you just getting one of their giant portion of chips is enough so that's where you make your money back. Some real spud economics in play

Nick

Administrator
5 Guys is very expensive, but then if there are a few of you just getting one of their giant portion of chips is enough so that's where you make your money back. Some real spud economics in play

5 Guys having 5 guys?

I have seen that video online.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!

theferret

There must be a demand I guess because they would’ve done more research than me but I just can’t believe the hotel that is already within the Ricoh would be fully booked every night!

Well it isn't, and nor would this be, no hotel runs at 100% occupancy every night, they don't need to. That said, it is well known that there is a shortage of hotel beds in Coventry, particularly Monday-Friday, it is why 3 new hotels are being built in the city centre. This hotel was never just about serving Ricoh visitors. In my old job a few years back, we used to have massive issues booking hotel rooms around the north of the city for guests from our head office.

clint van damme

Well it isn't, and nor would this be, no hotel runs at 100% occupancy every night, they don't need to. That said, it is well known that there is a shortage of hotel beds in Coventry, particularly Monday-Friday, it is why 3 new hotels are being built in the city centre. This hotel was never just about serving Ricoh visitors. In my old job a few years back, we used to have massive issues booking hotel rooms around the north of the city for guests from our head office.

My son worked at the Hilton and I used to pick him up, I wouldn't think it's a great location but as LAST said always busy

I thought Premier inn were mad opening a hotel down the Butts next to the Ramada but again, really busy, (easier to get to the NEC from there than from the centre of Brum)

There is definitely demand.

Nick

Administrator
You really couldn't make that shit up.

I didn't think a hotel was needed and there was too much traffic? Strange how it was rejected in private as well.

fernandopartridge

Yeah, I used to work for the SFA (Cheylesmore House) and people had trouble getting hotel rooms during the week. Both Premier Inns have high occupancy rates, the Ramada does well too.

ccfc92

If Marriott hotels are really interested in the site, they're a pretty big outfit and could take this further. In fact, they're ginormous.

Unbelievable that the council would reject the redevelopment of a brownfield site by a well know well regarded brand.

Is the hotel at the Ricoh still Hilton?

Nick

Administrator
Surely this is pushing some kind of state aid issue now

Not really, they have just rejected planning behind closed doors without letting it go to a committee rather than giving them money for the hotel. (That we know of)

Remember when we had people on here trying to make out the council couldn't make anything difficult in regards to planning?

harvey098

Well clearly you’re right and I’m wrong because they’re trying to build one so they must’ve done their sums I just don’t understand the contradiction of “hotels are never full” and “we always had trouble booking hotels for our guests”.

Liquid Gold

Not really, they have just rejected planning behind closed doors without letting it go to a committee rather than giving them money for the hotel. (That we know of)

Remember when we had people on here trying to make out the council couldn't make anything difficult in regards to planning?
giphy.gif

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
So Wasps are being given preferential treatment wrt planning permission for a hotel and also purchasing a college for a training ground.

But look at the dead cat, CCC have given SISU some suggestions where to build a new ground, look LOOK!

@CJ_covblaze , if you have any shred of dignity, you should resign from the Trust now. Sorry to be blunt.

Last edited:

Skyblueweeman

Ah, so Marriott's would be direct competition to the ACL/Wasps Hilton hotel?

Yeah I guess so but it's not uncommon at all to have hotels next to each other fighting for the same business. A decent % of guests staying in each hotel will stay there because they're members of that hotels loyalty scheme - such as Hilton Honors etc. The hotels will mainly come into competition of meetings and events business but it's fair to say that the DTbH has the advantage on the meeting space front.

What it does do though is potentially help the Arena win more 'residential conference' business. At the moment, the DTbH has about 121 rooms if memory serves me correct. If the Arena wants to get a 2 day conference for 500 people (which isn't a massive conference), then they'd potentially struggle as there's only 121 bedrooms on site...maybe accommodating up to approx 200 people taking into account twin rooms.

Having another hotel on site would make it easier for them to win larger conferences/meetings etc on the basis that there'll be a 2nd hotel 'on site'.

Xmas parties, smaller meetings, transient accommodation bookings etc is where they'll compete against each other.

skyblueinBaku

You really couldn't make that shit up.

I didn't think a hotel was needed and there was too much traffic? Strange how it was rejected in private as well.
giphy.gif

theferret

Well clearly you’re right and I’m wrong because they’re trying to build one so they must’ve done their sums I just don’t understand the contradiction of “hotels are never full” and “we always had trouble booking hotels for our guests”.

Which I never said. I said they are not always full, but of course they often are.

theferret

This is not that uncommon. Most planning decisions are delegated. They only tend to go to committee if it's a contentious application that has received more than 5 objections, or if the fire, police or somebody like English Heritage raises concerns.

It still stinks though.

oldfiver

A recent survey has shown the City Hotels are full 90% of weekends ( not sure of week days )

skyblue1991

Council in bending over backwards for Wasps shocker.

How can the council refuse a hotel in one location yet (probably) approve one in a location in close proximity?

Forget being in bed with Wasps, isn't there a ruling against this commercially?

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

duffer

It doesn't seem too hard to join the dots here in terms of the blatant favouritism that Wasps get from CCC. Why is that, I wonder?

At this point, you'd hope at least one Councillor would be up in arms about both this and the fact that Wasps have completely broken their promise to create jobs by building their academy in Coventry.

Corruption, negligence or incompetence, pick at least any two from three...

fernandopartridge

It doesn't seem too hard to join the dots here in terms of the blatant favouritism that Wasps get from CCC. Why is that, I wonder?

At this point, you'd hope at least one Councillor would be up in arms about both this and the fact that Wasps have completely broken their promise to create jobs by building their academy in Coventry.

Corruption, negligence or incompetence, pick at least any two from three...

Coventry City Council to swallow their pride? I can't see that happening any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread