Hotel and McDonald's Plans by the Ricoh Rejected (2 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
New hotel and McDonald's near Ricoh refused

Interesting how they have refused permissions for a hotel next to the Ricoh due to its location being in an ‘out of centre’ site.

How does this impact on Wasps "plans" to build a hotel on the car park?

chiefdave

New hotel and McDonald's near Ricoh refused

Interesting how they have refused permissions for a hotel next to the Ricoh due to its location being in an ‘out of centre’ site.

How does this impact on Wasps "plans" to build a hotel on the car park?
They did this to another hotel, think it was up on Binley Road, and the suggestion at the time was it was done to avoid distracting from a potential new hotel on car park C.

Although its difficult to see how they can reject this and then wave one through on car park C. Wasps option on car park C was only until November 2019 and required them to get planning permission to take up the option so without the council doing them another favour that one isn't happening either.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2477

I think the council needs to be re names as wasps council leaders of coventry

fernandopartridge

So, if traffic etc is an issue - what did they actually expect when they tried to imply that CCFC not having plans to regenerate the wider area was a bad thing? They tie themselves in knots

Nick

Administrator
So, if traffic etc is an issue - what did they actually expect when they tried to imply that CCFC not having plans to regenerate the wider area was a bad thing? They tie themselves in knots

Exactly, surely a hotel on the car park would generate more traffic too?

Will be interesting how easy Wasps would have it if they applied for something there now.

fernandopartridge

If Marriott hotels are really interested in the site, they're a pretty big outfit and could take this further. In fact, they're ginormous.

Unbelievable that the council would reject the redevelopment of a brownfield site by a well know well regarded brand.

Terry Gibson's perm

Exactly, surely a hotel on the car park would generate more traffic too?

Will be interesting how easy Wasps would have it if they applied for something there now.

A few flags shirts and free tickets and they could build a brothel there and the council wouldn’t care

oldfiver

They did this to another hotel, think it was up on Binley Road, and the suggestion at the time was it was done to avoid distracting from a potential new hotel on car park C.

Although its difficult to see how they can reject this and then wave one through on car park C. Wasps option on car park C was only until November 2019 and required them to get planning permission to take up the option so without the council doing them another failure that one isn't happening either.

Tracey Miller who is partner of Martin Yardley deupty leader of Council who is about to "retire" for a large bounty . Surely no WASPs connections here?
Coventry council chief Martin Yardley heads for University of Warwick – amid row and ‘conflict of interest’ claims

The people who own the own the site are big CCFC supporters too

chiefdave

What are the odds on an application going in for a Marriott hotel on car park C? Wasps seemed to be struggling to get anyone interested, now they know Marriott are would it surprise anyone if they tried to hijack it.

oldfiver

Although its difficult to see how they can reject this and then wave one through on car park C. Wasps option on car park C was only until November 2019 and required them to get planning permission to take up the option so without the council doing them another failure that one isn't happening either.

"another failure" ??

harvey098

Can’t see the need for a hotel? Apart from the occasional concert being held at the Ricoh, who would ever use it?

Last edited:

christonabike

Now a Mc Donald’s next to the Ricoh wouldn’t have an effect in the sale of food at the Ricoh would it? The council wouldn’t want Wasps to lose more money by having competition for the over priced shyte served up at matches?

stupot07

Surely given their reasons for rejecting this, I cant see how they could agree to one on car park c.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

pusbccfc

Which big events are they talking about ffs?

Limey

Worried about McD's taking Ricoh f&b takings. Also they obvs still want wasps to build hotel. #projectricoh

Astute

What are the odds on an application going in for a Marriott hotel on car park C? Wasps seemed to be struggling to get anyone interested, now they know Marriott are would it surprise anyone if they tried to hijack it.
Wasps are struggling full stop. Where would they raise the funds for anything? They owe enough at high rates as it is.

Astute

Can’t see the need for a hotel? Apart from the occasional concert being held at the Ricoh, who would ever use it?
I would use it but only if Wasps are not involved.

harvey098

I would use it but only if Wasps are not involved.

But aren’t there already hotel rooms at the Ricoh itself. Surely they can’t be so full every night that there is a need for an additional hotel next door?

(I understand in your situation the Ricoh hotel is still owned by wasps, but you see my point)

Nick

Administrator
But aren’t there already hotel rooms at the Ricoh itself. Surely they can’t be so full every night that there is a need for an additional hotel next door?

(I understand in your situation the Ricoh hotel is still owned by wasps, but you see my point)

So why were they on about building one on the car park opposite?

Terry Gibson's perm

Did they not say they can’t get many exhibitions there due to lack of hotels, it is more likely that the nec gets most as it has loads more around it to do, airport next door and a real train station that runs more than once an hour but if they want to believe it’s a hotel issue let them build it.

letsallsingtogether

The Hilton in Walsgrave does ok yet it is not in a great spot depends on what facilities you have would have thought this is a better place.

chiefdave

The Observer have a report on this now including a bit of information missing from the Telegraph report
The decision to reject the application was made in private by the council’s head of planning, Tracy Miller, under so-called ‘delegated powers’, rather than being allowed to go before councillors on the planning committee for public scrutiny in a public hearing.

Nick

Administrator
That's interesting.

So she chose to reject it behind closed doors rather than a planning committee.

giphy.gif

harvey098

The Hilton in Walsgrave does ok yet it is not in a great spot depends on what facilities you have would have thought this is a better place.

There must be a demand I guess because they would’ve done more research than me but I just can’t believe the hotel that is already within the Ricoh would be fully booked every night!

Nick

Administrator
There must be a demand I guess because they would’ve done more research than me but I just can’t believe the hotel that is already within the Ricoh would be fully booked every night!

I think the point is that they backed the one on Car Park C that Wasps were apparently going to do...

Users who are viewing this thread