Home advantage (1 Viewer)

tommydazzle

Be interesting to see the stats regarding any change In this. Do home crowds make a difference - we have an enforced experiment In which these variables could be teased out. Is it simply about the ground or the support? I’ve always wondered why a professional sportsman can’t perform to their best whatever the arena but then I’m no sports psychologist and pressure situations, I guess, can impact performance.

fernandopartridge

I was thinking about this, be interesting to measure whether there are more away wins across the board this season. Psychologically, despite no crowd there is still the advantage of familiarity (if it exists) for us, with the obvious exception of when we play Brum.

Brighton Sky Blue

I was thinking about this, be interesting to measure whether there are more away wins across the board this season. Psychologically, despite no crowd there is still the advantage of familiarity (if it exists) for us, with the obvious exception of when we play Brum.

It’ll be strange as when we play them there’ll be zero net advantage for either side.

Philosorapter

To be honest with everyone, I've just watched the first ten minutes, not enough to express an opinion on it. I'll have a guess they're probably just explaining this thing in chess which has been around for a donkeys age.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Be interesting to see the stats regarding any change In this. Do home crowds make a difference - we have an enforced experiment In which these variables could be teased out. Is it simply about the ground or the support? I’ve always wondered why a professional sportsman can’t perform to their best whatever the arena but then I’m no sports psychologist and pressure situations, I guess, can impact performance.

I think it can work both ways to be honest. Home crowd can give an advantage if it can intimidate opposition, esp near the end when the intensity of the crowd increases due to the nerves.

But at the same time it can be detrimental to a home team as the expectation is higher and a crowd that is showing signs of annoyance and displeasure at poor passes/shots etc can make players go into their shell or become more self aware and therefore more liable to making further mistakes.

I'm of the opinion that there seems to be a lot more goals at the moment which maybe due to players playing more freely and able to shrug of previous mistakes unencumbered by fan backlash if they play poorly or try something that doesn't come off. Could also be due to that lack of atmosphere it has more of a training ground mentality.

Users who are viewing this thread