Hillsner gone (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

And Waghorn, not for the fee, but for the fact that he's the highest paid player, and hasn't given value for money.
I don't blame Waghorn for signing the contract, but surely we must of known that he was well past his best.

At least it was only a two year deal, 1.5 if you remove when he was out on loan. But yeah him too.

SleepyGinger

Madness.

You cannot just give them a free ride because Joy had a tight arse. It's part of the job to work within a budget. They've signed some absolute disasters and should be called out on it.
Yet we sit here comfortably in the middle of the championship despite working with a league 1 budget at best.

fatso

Exactly. And as we've moved up from L2 to the Championship, they can't have too badly overall!

Constantly pointing the failures is like moaning about a striker that scored a hattrick but missed a chance for a fourth.
It's a fair point that some of our signings were bought for league 2, and became victims of our success.
Hyam turned out to be a good value signing, managing to keep the shirt as we climbed the league, and still made us a healthy profit even if we did sell him on the cheap.

Happy_Martian

Yet Julian Gray continues to steal a living

Just googled him as I don't remember him in any of his recorded 24 games for us. Julian is now a football coach at Arsenal. And amusingly, his LinkedIn profile lists some of his clubs including Fulham, where he only had 1 apppearance and doesn't mention his time with us at all.

Did we actually sign him to a contract or was he always just a figment of @Greggs' imagination ? :ROFLMAO:

NorthernWisdom

Someone mildly, well, 'authentic' came along and gave a salary figure for him that was eye watering. If true, am a bit more concerned about how it went. If, however, it was nowhere near then he's a random punt that failed, and c'est la vie.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Yet we sit here comfortably in the middle of the championship despite working with a league 1 budget at best.

I doubt if we had lost to Huddersfield you would make such an abrasive point, our league position has been precarious for a while because we don't have enough players able to contribute once the first layer has one or two holes in it.

Go through our entire squad list, there are far too many stupid signings taking up wages. It's fair game to call them out without having to preface it by saying 'we signed some good ones too' or 'it isn't their fault the budget is small'. It's a strange loser mentality to have.

Grendel

Our budget if you mean wages is much higher than league 1

WestEndAgro

Leah Remini Goodbye GIF by TV Land

clint van damme

I doubt if we had lost to Huddersfield you would make such an abrasive point, our league position has been precarious for a while because we don't have enough players able to contribute once the first layer has one or two holes in it.

Go through our entire squad list, there are far too many stupid signings taking up wages. It's fair game to call them out without having to preface it by saying 'we signed some good ones too' or 'it isn't their fault the budget is small'. It's a strange loser mentality to have.

It's only been precarious if you're an absolute drama queen. In reality, it hasn't.

Hobo

Madness.

You cannot just give them a free ride because Joy had a tight arse. It's part of the job to work within a budget. They've signed some absolute disasters and should be called out on it.

In fairness Mowbray called them out, "all you are doing is flipping coins"

But lack of budget means lack of scouting, lack background checks, relying on promo videos, relying on out of contracts players, hoping a once good player can overcome a serious injury given a chance, taking young players and just hoping they come good.

There are all sorts of reasons why talent fails to develop into successful players. A players progress is full of pitfalls. For instance can people predict what happens to a friend's health?

We have a lot of academy players who never made our first team but are successfully playing professional football in the lower leagues even non league. Those are still successes.

Any decent organisation looks to develop people. Lots of people's careers dont reach the heights of the boardroom. It doesnt mean they are failures or a waste of time.

D

Deleted member 5612

Absolute disgrace, better than Messi, Ronaldo and Mbappe combined. Jeez sometimes I wonder if Robins thinks we play Gridiron and not Soccer etc etc....

Bye Marcel, thanks for the odd pop up in my timeline. Good luck with your career.

SBT

On the one hand, our recruitment team helped take us from L2 to mid-table in the Championship on a limited budget, with a squad including the division’s top scorer and arguably its most valuable player.

On the other hand, they also signed Marcel Hilssner.

So it’s complicated.

Reactions: PVA

Brighton Sky Blue

On the one hand, our recruitment team helped take us from L2 to mid-table in the Championship on a limited budget, with a squad including the division’s top scorer and arguably its most valuable player.

On the other hand, they also signed Marcel Hilssner.

So it’s complicated.

Also gave the approval for Wagehorn

Hobo

Someone mildly, well, 'authentic' came along and gave a salary figure for him that was eye watering. If true, am a bit more concerned about how it went. If, however, it was nowhere near then he's a random punt that failed, and c'est la vie.

It seems he developed health problems that werent previously documented? Either we didn't do due diligence or it was unforseen circumstances? I wouldn't be suprised at either.

But if his career has been stalled by health since he signed it is a bit harsh to over criticise him. He is entitled to the contract he signed in good faith. Nobody at the club has questioned his attitude to my knowledge. He has willingly gone out on loan. It doesnt seem like he was deliberstely holding his career back.

But the parting of company is now good for both parties.

Hobo

He is, but an eye watering salary given to him doesn't stop me doubting the wisdom of the recruitment team, if that happened to be true!

Primarily the recruitment team is responsible for spotting and tracking talent. Putting forward recommendations.

I genuinely dont know how much say they have on the final contract. Even if they do someone else will surely have to sign it off.

Foootball is littered with managers wanting a player and been overruled from above.

To me it is more an example of the poor structure of the club and the way it has been run. Just blaming the Recruitment Team is like blaming the defenders for every single goal conceded.

Hobo

I would say failing to win in 9 games and losing to non-league opposition is good value for having some genuine concern.

The non league opposition are above non league standard and got a draw v Sheffield United and were minutes from beating them.

But I admit we were exceptionally poor that day. Even with that performance we could have still got a result.

Bad runs happen and it is not like the bad run was with a fully fit squad. We could barely fill the subs bench. Sometimes I think players were on the bench who werent fit because needs must and just to pose a question in the opposition managers mind.

clint van damme

I would say failing to win in 9 games and losing to non-league opposition is good value for having some genuine concern.

Genuine concern is one thing, but I think it's an over reaction to say our position was precarious.
We were always going to have a bad run, its what mid to lower mid table championship sides do.

And even though we had a bad run, I think it was 1 win in 9, the only results that really pissed me off were the 3 home draws starting with Swansea. Defeats to the likes Burnley and Sheff Utd away are going to happen.
I described Wrexham as the worse result in our history and I stand by that but the cups are the cups and a seperate thing in my opinion.

Reactions: PVA

Users who are viewing this thread