Highfield road (2 Viewers)

torchomatic

To be honest, I don't even think it was that much, I think it was £5M. Sounds all well and good, but don't forget after Richardson's mishandling of the whole sorry affair, the Club realised that we wouldn't be moving into our new "home" as quickly as first thought and so we had to rent our own ground back from the developers!

torchomatic

Fans should think while they are - rightly - slagging off SISU and realise where this all started.

When Richardson took charge of the club we were £4.5M in debt. When he left the debt was £61M. Although, it was nice at the time to watch Robbie Keane, McAllister et al, it ultimately wasn't worth it and I wish we'd never signed any of them.

As mentioned above we sold HR and then rented it back. At one time we owned the Arena site and the proposed stadium but the debt got so bad that we sold our interest in it for £13M so that we could pay off some of the debts. Again, if not for Richardson, we would probably own the Ricoh and things would be so very different.

I have more anger towards Richardson than I ever will for SISU.

Last edited:
5 mill 7 mill.....what a crying shame.

Having you own home ground is your identity,where your history is and where your future lies.Not to have one makes us friggin Gypo's in my mind,no wonder Freddy signed for us.

My dad said at the time moving to the Ricoh would be a very bad move and boy was he right :mad:

PUSB

torchomatic

Too true. I said at the time it was a mistake and never wanted to move from HR. It's not like we were too small for the ground or anything. However, it all comes down to money, as ever. Richardson saw an opportunity to make some cash - he awarded himself a nice £300K bonus for us getting a new stadium - and that was that.

We should have stayed where we were. Too late now, of course.

5 mill 7 mill.....what a crying shame.

Having you own home ground is your identity,where your history is and where your future lies.Not to have one makes us friggin Gypo's in my mind,no wonder Freddy signed for us.

My dad said at the time moving to the Ricoh would be a very bad move and boy was he right :mad:

PUSB

CUS Wyken

And too think we rented Highfield road for the last season or two aswell.

Richardson is to blame for the demise of this club.

I personally wish we never left Highfield road

torchomatic

The rent for HR was apparently £1M a year.

torchomatic

True. Retractable pitch, sliding roof. I remember season ticket holders getting a brochure all about "Arena 2000".

Its a shame that back then we didn't see what was happening in the background. We were blinded by this new stadium etc...

Users who are viewing this thread