Highfield Road article on F365 (1 Viewer)

ajsccfc

This part is so true:
In Coventry City: Club Without A Home, Simon Gilbert does an admirable job in retelling the chaos. As thoroughly researched and informative as the book is, though, the first few chapters really need to be read two or three times – not through any fault of the author, but because the scale of the ineptitude and the naivety is almost too vast to comprehend.

Captain Dart

Might have to follow the author on twitter, he researches his stuff, clearly been up to look around & speak to a few people.

Covstu

Another heartbreaking but well written tale of our woe! I still think this is what most of our fans easily forget, the fact that the sale of HR for individual profit was the catalyst to our decline/ I would dread to think what condition HR would have been now given the decay of the Ricoh over the same period but I very much doubt we would have been In League two (equally probably not in the prem either). HR was a difficult place to visit, fans close to the pitch and good atmosphere when full but again another example of not knowing what you have lost until it has gone.
Just reading about Froggys goal brought back fantastic memories of that game alone but our fan base is at war with each other, attendances on its arse and looks like we are cutting our cloth for the lower divisions.

Nick

Administrator
That breakover number of people needed makes the 9,000 or whatever we have quite realistic!

Captain Dart

Has Primrose Hill park ever been nice? As long as I've known it's been a dodgy shithole, so that's going back almost 30 years.
I remember it from nearly 60 years ago, but at that time I was not old enough to make a judgement on its dodgyness or shitholeness, all I remember it that it has a swing, a roundabout and (I think) a see saw.

Captain Dart

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Sold for 4m making a loss of 5.2m on the deal. The cash flow generated wasn't all put to the new stadium either, given that club was loss making every year since HR was sold including year of sale.

Turnover at Highfield Road wasn't £5m either when the decision to move out was made
1996 £8.9m (loss 8.2m)
1997 £12.2m (loss 10.2m)
1998 £17.4m (loss 3.1m)
1999 £18.9m (profit 1.3m)
2000 £20.1m (loss 6.3m) - financial year of sale
2001 £23.9m (loss 0.7m)
2002 £16.4m (loss 2.1m)
2003 £14.5m (loss 5.7m)
2004 £7.9m (loss 8.1m)
2005 £8.7m (loss 0.9m)
2006 £9.9m (loss 3.3m)

Really not great business decision making. You can not help but conclude that the sale had everything to do with directors ego's and very little to do with good business sense.

Last edited:

wingy

Sold for 4m making a loss of 5.2m on the deal. The cash flow generated wasn't all put to the new stadium either, given that club was loss making every year since HR was sold including year of sale.

Turnover at Highfield Road wasn't £5m either when the decision to move out was made
1998 £17.4m
1999 £18.9m
2000 £20.1m
2001 £23.9m
2002 £16.4m
2003 £14.5m
2004 £7.9m
2005 £8.7m

Really not great business decision making
Yeah But it's gate reciepts.
That 2001 figure would have just about given us a surplus in 2005-6.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Yeah But it's gate reciepts.
That 2001 figure would have just about given us a surplus in 2005-6.

the whole business was based at HR though wingy most of the turnover was connected to the site. Richardson picked out a figure to bend the truth and even then it was wrong

upload_2018-3-7_13-52-10.png

Nick

Administrator
Out of interest, in the older accounts did they used to note how much they spent on stadium upkeep?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Out of interest, in the older accounts did they used to note how much they spent on stadium upkeep?

Never been a requirement to disclose that information so no

What I can say is that direct and administrative expenses were at similar if not higher levels than they are now (excluding any cost inflation) . I know people query what is included but there seems to have been no great increase because of the SISU ownership in those two grouped headings. Although the earlier ones would have included larger numbers for depreciation charges - we had assets back then!

M&B Stand

(Pssst, Robinson!)

I’m amazed there wasnt more anger towards Robinson.

matchday turnover is peanuts these days, huge TV Money and premier league sponsorship deals have meant clubs like Bournemouth couldn’t give a shit about only having 11k ground.

Users who are viewing this thread