Highfield Rd why oh why (1 Viewer)

Gynnsthetonic

Stoke-Gosford is and always will be our spiritual home and if we return to the Ricoh which I think may happen once JR is done it will still not feel like home. We were a local community club with stadium just outside city centre which everyone loved not just home fans but away fans too and I believe this ripped the heart and soul when we moved to the edge of the city. The old Stoke plant on Humber Rd would of been ideal as the fans would have used same routine and pubs on match days.When SISU do leave the new owners will still have a club which does not own it's stadium but I would love a local consortium to take over and bring the club back to its roots.
Miss HR more than I ever thought and had totally changed my life even though I'm now 42 and family of my own.

SkyBlueRabb5

Stoke-Gosford is and always will be our spiritual home and if we return to the Ricoh which I think may happen once JR is done it will still not feel like home. We were a local community club with stadium just outside city centre which everyone loved not just home fans but away fans too and I believe this ripped the heart and soul when we moved to the edge of the city. The old Stoke plant on Humber Rd would of been ideal as the fans would have used same routine and pubs on match days.When SISU do leave the new owners will still have a club which does not own it's stadium but I would love a local consortium to take over and bring the club back to its roots.
Miss HR more than I ever thought and had totally changed my life even though I'm now 42 and family of my own.

Agreed 100% even tho we'll probably get shot down for saying it!

I miss Highfield Road too, buts its gone. I wish we can bring it back but we cant, so we need to look to the future. The Ricoh is our home now and i think we all want us to go back there. Everyone was saying The Ricoh didnt feel like home before we left and they're starting to realise it is home, so although eveyrone misses HR, i think everyone agrees The Ricoh is where we need to be

HighfieldRoader

Great post.

oscillatewildly

I miss Highfield Road too, buts its gone. I wish we can bring it back but we cant, so we need to look to the future. The Ricoh is our home now and i think we all want us to go back there. Everyone was saying The Ricoh didnt feel like home before we left and they're starting to realise it is home, so although eveyrone misses HR, i think everyone agrees The Ricoh is where we need to be
I agree largely with the OP, the point he was trying to make was moving away from the "spiritual home", not necessarily HR was a wrench for a lot of people. I don't think I'll ever regard Ricoh as being "home", owing largely to my age, the location and even the lack of ownership of the bloody place!
But I will certainly regard it as being in Coventry.

Samo

I loved HR and had many happy memories there. I did think the move to The Ricoh was a good thing and a move forward and still believe it could have been if it had been done properly. If we were still in the Prem or even yo-yoing from Champ to Prem and playing in front of 'big' crowds at the Ricoh I think the place would be viewed very differently, with all the emotions and memories that build around a place. Instead there has been nothing but negativity, disappointment culminating in the almighty clusterfuck we have now. I still think the Ricoh could be good for us in time and with new generations.

It is the spiritual home of the club for sure. I may not appreciate as much as the old guard do as i only went to HR 3 times due to my age. I've been to the Ricoh a lot more so i regard it as our home. We probably shouldnt have left HR. It was in a great central position and it had so much history. But because of the selfishness of Geoffory Robinson and a lot of people who lived around the stadium we had to move, which has put us in the position we find ourselves in. So IMO, the residents and Robinson are also responsible

bigfatronssba

Well we certainly wont ever play in that area of the city again, there is no where to build a stadium in that part of town.

StevieM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Ricoh that having a successful team playing there couldn't put right.
Problem always has been that since the club moved "house" it has been on a downward slope with not too many great memories gleaned from our occupation of the stadium.
This season could have been the start of the beginning with a decent young "homegrown" team and a half-decent manager trying desparately to get his side to play open attacking football. It could have been a promotion season which would have both good memories and decent attendances (since the two go hand in hand).

I feel blessed to have seen us beat the Uniteds, Chelseas and others of the top flight, and Highfield Rd did see some great days but also some real "dark" ones too. It is a pity that alot of todays fans haven't had that pleasure hopefully once the current "owners" clear out then perhaps it could be the dream, sadly it will never happen whilst they are still associated with our club.

skybluefred

It is the spiritual home of the club for sure. I may not appreciate as much as the old guard do as i only went to HR 3 times due to my age. I've been to the Ricoh a lot more so i regard it as our home. We probably shouldnt have left HR. It was in a great central position and it had so much history. But because of the selfishness of Geoffory Robinson and a lot of people who lived around the stadium we had to move, which has put us in the position we find ourselves in. So IMO, the residents and Robinson are also responsible

Highfield Road was a great ground and holds fabulous memories of the good times of CCFC. However when it had to become all seater and could only hold
around 22,000 fans it became a liability. We played in the Premiership and tried to compete with the big boys who could attract two or three times our gate.
You cannot compete in top flight Football without huge income streams and we didn't have those at Highfield Rd, this is when the rot set in with owners
spending money that neither them or the Club had--hence the last fling Ricoh Arena with a 10k bigger capacity. Unfortunately the ground the Arena is built
on needed to much money wasted on cleaning it up,Hence CCC became involved in funding the building of the Stadium.Undoubtedly an alternative location
within the City should have been found--it wasn't and so we now play HOME games in Norhampton.

torchomatic

You're letting Richardson off scot free then?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ollyservetta

ill be honest with you all .I drove to a scooter do in Nuneaton one night and on the way back decided for some reason to got to HR ,id promised meself not to view it whilst being demolished ,but to keep and savour me memorys.I got outside what was left ,just one third of the mainstand and the west terrace ,.1.30 in the morning and im sat in me van crying my fucking eyes out ,.even if ccfc dies altogether ,it can not hurt as much as I hurt that night .I hate the ricoh but it is our best and only option .going threw leaving HR has cushioned the pain and blows that have come since ,when we left HR the heart and soul was left behind ,ill always support ccfc as long as they survive and as long as they return to cov ,but its never been the same since HR days and never wil be

SkyBlueRabb5

I simply don't buy the whole capacity issue. Other clubs in PL/competing Champ sides have grounds not much bigger than HR. We simply don't need >23000seats! We may have planned to move grounds for a long time but it wasn't a certainty until after we were relegated... at which point our long term goals should have been just to get back into PL... nothing beyond that! Once that's achieved then look at building blocks. I agree 100% that the heart & sole was ripped out of CCFC when we moved. Downward spiral of shit after shit since then. This is my frustration now. Northampton is just the latest 'blip'

Users who are viewing this thread